How many rods from shore?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
smoked1
Petty Officer

RE:How many rods from shore?

Post by smoked1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:14 am

Thanks for all of the great responses. I took a look at the fishing rules and I have to say that it is not very newb friendly. I am actually going to have to go over it a few times and research types of fish to make sure that I am not breaking the law. I was once incarcerated with a guy that was doing 1 month for every illegal fish that he had. I think that they were endangered though. Anyway, that is probably pretty rare but there seem to be far more rules to fishing than I had anticipated and I don't want to take a chance of getting a ticket.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:32 am

its really not that hard for lakes. dont go over 5 fish if using bait (even if you release them.) use one pole per person . dont use live fish as bait. also make sure that you read the regs for each lake even though very few of them change per lake. some lakes have speeding laws at different times of day. if you are fishing a lake like lake washington you need to be aware of what kind of fish you are catching. dont want to catch a salmon or steelhead without a punch card...... come to think of it you almost need to be a lawyer to fish in washington lol.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:53 am

First I would use a fishing Rod:colors: and leave the poles to lights and flags:cyclopsan and not one needs more then one and to the average guy with real sport fishing will really not increase your odds to outway the risks.
Bottom line make a kids dreams there life style.
Choices now are leaner and push options that my bird dogs woulds say No to!
Most kids will learn the word Fish on :cheers: and you put them on pigs they learn and want more:chef:
You have a kid that needs a chance send them my way we are dream makers:-$ and I love kids outfishing most adults that hurts them deep#-o :-"
Attachments
Cowboyandcowgirlup.jpg
Cowboyandcowgirlup.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
DNA__BABY_UNCLE_Swede_and_Vida_Blue-38.jpg
DNA__BABY_UNCLE_Swede_and_Vida_Blue-38.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
_BONICS-210.jpg
_BONICS-210.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
_BONICS-165.jpg
_BONICS-165.jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
_BONICS-194.jpg
_BONICS-194.jpg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:01 am

Well said swedefish4life1
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Iceman
Petty Officer

Post by Iceman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:37 am

Here is what I know.

You can have 2 poles with you at the lake. But, you can only use 1 at a time. A good reason for this is to have one rigged with bait and one rigged with a spoon/spinner. When you get tired of casting, pull that rod apart and put it aside. Assemble the bait rod, cast out and sit there a wait for a bite. Like everyone says 1 rod in the water at a time.

Fish daily limit is counted for the day and not for the lake. If you caught 5 trout in one lake with bait or kept it and you fished a different lake in the same day and kept 5 trout there. Thats consider 5 over the limit and you could get a ticket for keeping fish over your 5 daily limit. If you get caught of course. Its plain and simple. Everyone who don't understand this should reread the regs.

If you use unscented lure or jigs you could catch and release all the fish in the lake and still be legal. Just make sure they are not bleeding to death or hooked in a vital spot. Then you would have to keep them and stop when you hit your daily fish limit.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Iceman wrote:Here is what I know.

You can have 2 poles with you at the lake. But, you can only use 1 at a time. A good reason for this is to have one rigged with bait and one rigged with a spoon/spinner. When you get tired of casting, pull that rod apart and put it aside. Assemble the bait rod, cast out and sit there a wait for a bite. Like everyone says 1 rod in the water at a time.

Fish daily limit is counted for the day and not for the lake. If you caught 5 trout in one lake with bait or kept it and you fished a different lake in the same day and kept 5 trout there. Thats consider 5 over the limit and you could get a ticket for keeping fish over your 5 daily limit. If you get caught of course. Its plain and simple. Everyone who don't understand this should reread the regs.

If you use unscented lure or jigs you could catch and release all the fish in the lake and still be legal. Just make sure they are not bleeding to death or hooked in a vital spot. Then you would have to keep them and stop when you hit your daily fish limit.
I couldn't find a rule about amount of rods you can have...Only hooks (3) per line . Bass fisherman have lot's of rods all rigged up and keep them in the boat. Two fisherman could have 20 rods all ready to go. What section is ithe rule in? Thanks Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:42 pm

You can have as many rod with you as you want, but you can have only one line in the water at a time. I my previous post I pulled the exact wording out of the regs. Now having more than one rod with you can cause Mr. WDFW agent to do some silly things. My last time out on Lake Washington I was nearly run down while trolling by an officer who probably thought I had two lines out. I was just threading my second rod to put on a different lure and he approached me at a very high rate of speed, not slowing up until he was no more than 20' to 30' feet from my boat and then turning broadside to me. I thought the dude wasn't paying attention and was going to hit me. Fortunately my boat has a good amount of freeboard so he didn't swamp me, but it put me in a foul mood especially when he refused to acknowledge his carelessness or offer an apology. If you see a 22' Gradywhite bearing down on you while fishing on Lake Washington, that would be him. Note: he has a really nice pair of Zeiss binos that he uses to watch from afar, so be careful!

Iceman
Petty Officer

Post by Iceman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:38 pm

I am sorry, Let me clear up myself. I was just writing in response to some posts that mentioned 2 poles. The first paragraph I wrote, I found no info in the regs poles. G-Man is correct. if you want you could haul 10 or even 20 poles to the lake. if you want the hassle. 1 line in the water at a time and you are good to go. I think fishing with 2 poles if overkill anyways. Its the fisherman who catches the fish. 2 or 3 poles in the water is not going to catch you fish if you don't know what you are doing. I once fished next to a guy who used 3 poles. I was the only one who got fish that day. He ended up going home empty handed. He was using his little sisters as an excuse to use 3 poles. But his 2 sisters was nowhere near him. They were playing in the sand the whole time at least 50ft from the poles and never touched the poles until they packed out. This guy kept on casting out all 3 poles? WTF, that is considered fishing with 3 poles and if Mr WDFW was there he would of gotten a fat check!

The second and third paragraph is from the regs. 5 a day means 5 for the day. Not 5 at this lake and 5 at that lake in the same day. Thats overlimit. I also heard its a really big fine and you get fined per fish over.

If you break the law and depending on the circumstances, they could take everything you have at the scence including your vehicle.

Hopefully I make myself clear.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:39 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:if you are at lake boren, it seems like many folks believe you're allowed two rods or more
game warden has been there alot recently.
That's good to hear that the warden has been there a lot.

I actually took photos of one of the regular 2-roddeer idiots last October--he fishes on the Coal Creek side with this two white rods.

I wish that warden stills shows up a lot in the next month or two, after they stock the lake. The spring stocking seems to bring in the 2-rodders like locusts.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:24 am

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:
Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:if you are at lake boren, it seems like many folks believe you're allowed two rods or more
game warden has been there alot recently.
That's good to hear that the warden has been there a lot.

I actually took photos of one of the regular 2-roddeer idiots last October--he fishes on the Coal Creek side with this two white rods.

I wish that warden stills shows up a lot in the next month or two, after they stock the lake. The spring stocking seems to bring in the 2-rodders like locusts.
they know whats going on there now. of course not everybody will get caught. just the ones that are there everyday. i know you have seen them as well.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:24 pm

I'll run two poles in the summer. One rigged for trolling and the other for casting. I'll head out from the launch, drop my trolling line and head out to whatever spot I'm going to fish for bass for. Then I bring up my trout troll and grab the other pole for some casting fun under the docks. I had asked a similar question awhile back regarding weather or not you could posess treble hook type lures in an area that is selective gear only. You can have as many lines/ lures on your person as you want, just as long as you're only using what is allowed. Of course like it has been mentioned, you open yourself up to suspision having so many things, but I've never been hassled.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

Malottguy
Petty Officer

Post by Malottguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:25 pm

I was going to make another post about what I saw today but I believe it kind of fits here.

I was fishing with a buddy and his wife trying a few spots up river on Rufus from shore. In particular Brants landing which I come to find out is a spot I fished for years and never knew the name.

Anyhow we tried there then checked another spot a but further down river, then on to where we fish normally by the Corps of Engineers launch. We fish for awhile and I see a guy fishing then he casts out another rod. So I walk over and ask how it goes. He says slow with not even a bite. I ask wheres your partner for the other rod he tells me oh it is just me. I say oh and he says "I'm trying something" and "there's not really any bait on that one". To which I say if a Game Warden sees it that it wont matter if there's bait or not he will nail you. He grumbles something and I walk off back to try more where I was fishing.
Well I get to my spot and I look back he is looking around to see if he is being watched and then reels in the second line real fast and sets it in the bed of his truck.

On top of every thing else I do hope he caught something as he was using what looked like a size 2 hook with one pinkish orange marsh mellow and 5 white ones with a tiny but of night crawler. I was going to ask how that was working but he was grumbling a lot by then. But as I said I hope he did get one and Hope he learned not to use two rods.

As for our fishing was worst day in a long time with no bites but was made up for a lot by just hanging with friends.

Sorry for a rant just confuses me to why people do stupid stuff.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:46 pm

WOW! This thread leaves me shaking my head. A9 answered it perfectly. Everyone revert back to that answer and stop this nonsense.....Simply amazing!
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:44 am

One rod per angler:-$ :cheers: 2 Candles for fire starters for Swede:bom: #-o
Attachments
need_a_light.jpg
need_a_light.jpg (85.1 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.