Lost/Stolen Crab Pots!!

Our hardshelled friends found here.
sunshine
Petty Officer

RE:Lost/Stolen Crab Pots!!

Post by sunshine » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:39 pm

We've been out twice since the pots went missing. thanks for the advice, but if they weren't gone before they sure are now! We'll be heading out to area 9 on Saturday morning, so of course we'll check the area again, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

I'd better catch a monster salmon after this though....I've lost more than my share fare gear to the fishing gods this season!!

sunshine
Petty Officer

Post by sunshine » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:00 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote: Anyone ever catch, or know someone who's caught someone pulling their pots?
I caught someone picking my NEW replacement pots yesterday! After having the original 4 stolen not a month ago you can bet I was HOT :rambo: We were in area 8-2 guarding our pots this time, and had drifted just far enough away that it looked like the pots weren't ours. A light blue boat with a dark blue top, about 16' to 18' was putting around and it LOOKED like they were just going by our pots. By the time we reallized what was going on they had our crab in the boat and our pot back in the water. They must have reallized those pots were ours when they heard our inboard fire up, and they took off. We chased them, to get a better look at the numbers on their boat (never did get the numbers), and the (insert swearing here if you want) people were WAVING AND SMILING AT US!! Talk about making an angry person seeth.
I would love to have gotten the numbers off their boat. State patrol would have been able to do something if I had (that is where your call is sent if you call 911 to report poaching in progress), but I didn't get the numbers because as we were chasing them, our outboard took a swim. Lost and gone.

The fishing/crabbing season is pretty much over for me until the rivers open up. It has been an expensive year giving up 4 crab pots, and a trolling motor. It'd be cheaper and a lot less stressful if I just go to the grocery store to get my crab.

What is wrong with people?:scratch:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:38 am

Was it a older Glassply? When I was crabbing 8.2 there was an older Glassply hanging out in the area? A side note to this problem is I but the 15.00 crab pots for certain areas where I know there is alot of theivery.Depending on where I crab I use different gear.
Still Im sorry to hear about the loss.It only takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone.Bainbridge is another area where you got to watch your pots the whole time.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

sunshine
Petty Officer

Post by sunshine » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:37 am

I think it was. I really should have paid closer attention to the boat. Funny thing is we noticed it right away when we got out there because it was a smaller boat with 5 or 6 adults in it. I won't be crabbing in that area anymore. Just so others know, it happened at the first green bouy when you are comming from the Everett marina. Thanks for the heads up about Bainbridge. I can't afford to lose anymore equipment!

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:34 pm

sunshine wrote: but I didn't get the numbers because as we were chasing them, our outboard took a swim. Lost and gone.

The fishing/crabbing season is pretty much over for me until the rivers open up. It has been an expensive year giving up 4 crab pots, and a trolling motor. It'd be cheaper and a lot less stressful if I just go to the grocery store to get my crab.

What is wrong with people?:scratch:

Terrible news sunshine...talk about adding injury to insult. How did you manage to lose the trolling motor?? understandable if you don't want to discuss it. Don't let people like this keep you down....as i like to say...."perseverance pays off". I assure you, the first people that stole your pots AND the second people that picked your pots have what is coming to them...i'm sure of that. Even if you can't physically watch their misfortunes because of this, rest assured IT WILL HAPPEN. On a side note: i know it is a long shot, but if you ever make it up my way (bellingham/anacortes) i would be more than happy to take you and your crabbing partner(s) out crabbing. I don't have a fancy boat, but it will fit 3-4 and i know where the crab are. Good luck on those rivers!!
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

sunshine
Petty Officer

Post by sunshine » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks RwR! I appreciate the offer, and may just take you up on that...I saw that HUGE crab you got!:thumleft:

We lost the trolling motor when we started the main motor and took off after them. the drag ripped it right off our boat. I don't suggest this to anyone else. If you get your pots picked, just be glad they weren't flat out stolen, and let the people go. I truly believe that karma will get these people

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:30 am

Hey Sunshine,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience in 8-2 Sunshine. That is bold of those jerks to help themselves while you were in the area. Twice this year in roughly the same area we (my buddies from work and I) have had our pots picked. We swore after the second time we would remain in the area and watch closely for any further pot picking. We vowed to contact whom ever it is that is doing this and either arrest them and take their boat as evidence or at the least, take their information and mail them each a criminal citation.

Since then I and my work buddies haven’t been out which really sucks but that’s how it goes sometimes. Schedules, vacations, and training all got in the way the last 2 weeks. Crabbing in the area you are speaking about was great this year. Despite the pot picking that we experienced twice in 5 trips, using 8 pots we all limited every time out and threw back just as many keepers as we kept. It was amazing.

I appreciate your info on the description of the boat that was involved in the crime. I will absolutely watch for anything even closely resembling it as I am sure the rest of the members will also do. Since being picked the second time, we not only vowed to arrest these jerks, but we decided we would go out just to crab and would remain close by so as not to get picked again. But as I said we haven’t been out in 8-2 since. I also agree with you that chasing the violators is a decision that should not be taken lightly and should be evaluated thoroughly before engaging. Do you recall which direction they fled?

I hope you don’t give up on this area. It was prime crabbing ground this season. I understand your frustration completely and it angers me as well to hear of your misfortune. I know the season is almost complete but there will be a winter season (usually a short time period where we can get another taste of fresh Dungeness) so if you aren’t comfortable going out there in the future, I can try getting a trip together with my co-workers so we can be out there the same time as you are to insure we all get some crab and don’t encounter any crooks in the process.

Take care,

Dave

sunshine
Petty Officer

Post by sunshine » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:33 pm

I usually have a camera with me on the boat, and if I see them again you better believe I will be taking their picture and posting it rather than chasing them down. NOT being in law enforcement there wasn't anything we were going to be able to do anyway.
I'm sure they launched out of the Everett marina. They headed that way when they were running from us. We didn't follow them very far because we had to get our pots. If not for that we would have followed them all the way in. I called 911 and reported the incident, but that happened to be the ONE day that there was no one in the area. Plus I didn't have the numbers off of the boat.

So here is the lesson.
1. don't leave your crab pots alone
2. If you catch someone picking your pots...GET THE NUMBERS OFF THEIR BOAT
3.don't leave your crab pots
4.Don't chase the other boat, because really...what are you going to do?
5.Don't leave your crab pots
6.(just a good rule to follow) make sure your trolling motor is secure.

Dave, if you are planning to go out in area 8-2 in the near future let me know. We are working on getting another trolling motor, and would LOVE to have a productive day!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Yes dont let this experience sour you from crabbing in the future.There will always be jerks and idiots doing this stuff.I try not to let the few spoil it for the many.If someone is low life enough to steal pots and or crabs then chasing him down isnt smart either like you said.Idiots like that have nothing to lose by doing illegal activities.The good part is you guys made it home safe.In the long run thats what matters.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Sorry to hear about that sunshine. We lost, I believe, four pots in Winter Harbour last year to the Canadians as we left and went to fish the outside waters. Came back and got the number of the boat, but they were off and runnin with our 4 pots, crabs, ropes, floats; and as racfish alluded, no need in chasing them down police-style. People can become quite confrontational on the water (armed, etc.). You're right -- Never leave your pots. Never. Really sound advice for us all.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:26 am

A9 wrote:
Gisteppo wrote:Card that will be found in my pots:

"Feel free to steal the crab in this pot. Just be kind and rebait"

E
Or:
"I'm watching you through a scope of a 30-06 up on shore. Put my pot back and don't show up here again"
Or maybe "This pot protected by a Barrett 50 cal, Look behind you"
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:21 pm

Heres a good one.I was talking to the Island County Sheriffs Dept today.I complemented them on the two officers that checked out my boat for all the safety needs.I had mentioned about the pot thefts going on and they now know whos been doing it.They got a tip from Tribal Police that some of their own were doing it.Its funny that they even told the Sheriff cuz they have no jurisdiction over native crimes.Go figure.The Sheriff said that while waiting for the nets to fill they help themselves to pots and crabs.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:05 pm

nnnnnice. punks! i hope there nail them and hang em high by there bait and tackle.

:viking:
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:53 am

The "Pot Thief" strikes again!!! A friend and his gf just got ALL four of their pots ripped off yesterday. Left them overnight.....[-(

One was mine I borrowed him, good thing it was a $25 Danialson. In my mind, there is only ONE SURE WAY to not get them stolen...stay close and watch them. Kinda stinks....but you gotta do what you gotta do. (definitely was NOT the tides)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....