Pike!

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

RE:Pike!

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:06 pm

:nemo: kb must be a pro if he can make ANYONE "sound" good...I must say, I do enjoy the banter.

Well...first of all my carnivorous experiences were "back in the day"...before C&R was commonplace; and were ALL in Ontario, WI or MN. I haven't eaten Muskie in over 25+ years. I have had Pike more frequently, but not very recently, either...although they are quite plentiful and it's not as unusual to see anglers pulling them into their boats for keeps. My daddy is "one of the kings of C&R" and he wouldn't be too happy :rambo: if someone snagged a Muskie and didn't put him back...so I know better!!! :salut: Again, I don't think it's as big a deal with Pike since they are so plentiful.

My personal opinion is that Pike is the best, but Muskie is similar. Muskie seems to be a bit stronger. Pike kind of reminds me of Halibut, being white and flaky. Pike has a sweeter taste than both. I can't even remember trying Walleye (although I'm sure I did), so I can't make a comparison there.

I think you're right to at least try it, especially if it's cooking :chef: and going to be eaten anyway!

Yum! Yum!

PAD :fish:

"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business." --Alfred W. Miller

mothman
Angler

Post by mothman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:28 pm

i really can't get around those Y bones either Gone Fishin. i CANNOT fillet those little suckers for the life of me, and really need someone to show me a good technique.

Here's a really good demo video on cleaning pike-easiest method I've seen.
H3-GLr9bTXM
Chris

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:38 am

mothman wrote:
Here's a really good demo video on cleaning pike-easiest method I've seen.
H3-GLr9bTXM
Chris
Boy, I agree -- great video. Now I wish I'd kept the pike I caught yesterday! Thanks for sharing!!
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

muskyhunter28
Petty Officer

Post by muskyhunter28 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:39 am

Rollin with Rolland wrote:pike, eh?? well, i guess if you got it, you gotta cook it!! i will on occasion keep a small pike or two on camping trips, but not to often. i really can't get around those Y bones either Gone Fishin. i CANNOT fillet those little suckers for the life of me, and really need someone to show me a good technique. Pickled pike is an old time favorite of mine, but it is an acquired taste. like phil cogley said, you can't go wrong with a breaded/fried fillet. AND, i do have a killer pike chowder recipe, i'll do a little digging around and get it up ASAP. Those pike really turn to mush though after the water warms up, so watch out, only keep them if absolutely necessary. (i thought i remember you saying that's why you have some now). Never had it cajun......hmmm

Here ya go

bcWyGrV0qao
~ Captain Don Hempler Tour Guides ~

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”