Tying Jigs?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ResQ
Commander

Re: Tying Jigs?

Post by ResQ » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Ok. Starting to get the hang of this. lol Found a couple jigs at sportco to get me going.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:03 pm

One thing I will say is that you should make sure the gauge of the hook shank is heavy enough for your target species. We have had problems with jig heads made for crappy, bass, etc. that are just not strong enough for salmon and steelhead. Stay away from the smaller shanked jigheads, and pay a few extra cents for good quality heads.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Yea! That is why it took a while to find some! Too many thin hooks that dont look like they would hold up to a trout, let alone a salmon. These guys are on 3/0 Owners. Pretty heavy.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Was going to post a long response to this taken I went through the same questions a few months ago when I started getting into this but it seems as if you already got your kit and have made quite a few pretty decent looking jigs! Fun aint it?

Here are a couple of tips from a jig-tying newbie, maybe this will save you some heartache:

Materials: be sure to look for good materials. Google search "how to pick fly tying materials" or "how to pick marabou feathers" etc. A lot of the chain sporting good stores may have some tying material but I've found that the true difference in the looks and feels of the jigs action is in the materials. The cheaper stuff I found doesn't have as much quality to it and I ended up wasting a lot of material based on the basic fact it just wasn't all the greatest stuff for the application. Don't need to go super expensive but I tend to try and shy away from super cheap marabou and hackle. You want feathers with as thin stalks (the center stiff center pieces) so that they wrap around your hook better. Cheaper materials will give you thicker stalks, shorter feather lengths, etc. Also, don't be afraid to look in unconventional places for materials - search fly tying forums for some examples at what crazy stuff people use to tie with. You'd be surprised.

Variations: be sure to look for proper color matches. I'm not saying certain color matches won't work, but it seems that certain color matches work better than others. Try "Googling" AeroJig patterns and other jig patterns to get some inspiration on what you may be able to create, you may even be able to fix up a custom one that just ends up being the best jig you have. You never know. Also looking at pattern concepts will give you ideas as to what types of materials pair well together for the style of lure you are going for. For example, flash colors matching the tail colors, matching the feathers, matching the jig heads etc.

Custom Made Tools: you can spend a TON of money on fly tying tools. I've already learned (partially) the hard way about this and found a wealth of resources online at how to make your own. Not only is it cost effective, I enjoyed greatly making some of these tools. If you don't know the names and what the tools are used for - try looking at YouTube channel done by a dude named "Andy Match". He has a 101 series of lessons where he goes through all the tools and how & what to look for. Check out this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l803fAkumg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on how to make custom bobbin holders (they'll sell for $5-$8 bucks each - you can make one for under a $1) too - you can never have too many of these as they are incredibly handy when using multiple thread colors (to correspond to multiple material colors and styles and patterns).

Good luck and welcome to the club! :D
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Awesome! I am for sure going to look at those. Does standard sewing thread work? The thread I have kind of sucks. It breaks all the time and just pulls apart at random. Not sure of it's the bob job or what? Funny you say aero jigs as that is what got me going Lol those buggers are pricey! Effective but pricey!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:22 pm

ResQ wrote:Awesome! I am for sure going to look at those. Does standard sewing thread work? The thread I have kind of sucks. It breaks all the time and just pulls apart at random. Not sure of it's the bob job or what? Funny you say aero jigs as that is what got me going Lol those buggers are pricey! Effective but pricey!
Yes, standard sewing thread works fine. It doesn't lay like dedicated fly tying thread, but works just fine for jigs. I use it much of the time as I too have a problem with the floss that I have breaking too easily. I even have the heavy duty stuff and it still sucks. I use clear finger nail polish for head cement and the sewing thread does a good job of soaking that up and holding tight…at least for jigs. For smaller flies it's not quite as user friendly (IMHO). I almost never have jigs come untied. They usually wear out or get lost first.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:47 pm

BentRod wrote:
ResQ wrote:Awesome! I am for sure going to look at those. Does standard sewing thread work? The thread I have kind of sucks. It breaks all the time and just pulls apart at random. Not sure of it's the bob job or what? Funny you say aero jigs as that is what got me going Lol those buggers are pricey! Effective but pricey!
Yes, standard sewing thread works fine. It doesn't lay like dedicated fly tying thread, but works just fine for jigs. I use it much of the time as I too have a problem with the floss that I have breaking too easily. I even have the heavy duty stuff and it still sucks.
Have you ever experimented with the cotton & polyester blends separately or either one in your opinion would work? I've recently found that I can purchase double sized spools in various thicknesses for just around .50 more than what the fly shop is selling but never really "trusted" that basic sewing (polyester or cotton) would be suited for the water. So instead of buying a 100 yard spool for 3 bucks I can buy a 200 yard spool for 3.50. My fear was, though, after 2 or 3 times of use the threads would just start wearing down. I should be thinking otherwise because I too use clear nail polish for head cement which would naturally just bind all of it down.

I wonder if anyone out there has experimented with these and have any tips or advice. I'm partially thinking it's a bit "splitting hairs" when it comes to jigs as the details of the wrapping aren't as critical as in fly tying - as in you can get away with a bit of a rougher, thicker spool of thread for jigs based on the size and simplicity of them (for the most part).
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:55 pm

jrodell27 wrote: Have you ever experimented with the cotton & polyester blends separately or either one in your opinion would work? I've recently found that I can purchase double sized spools in various thicknesses for just around .50 more than what the fly shop is selling but never really "trusted" that basic sewing (polyester or cotton) would be suited for the water. So instead of buying a 100 yard spool for 3 bucks I can buy a 200 yard spool for 3.50. My fear was, though, after 2 or 3 times of use the threads would just start wearing down. I should be thinking otherwise because I too use clear nail polish for head cement which would naturally just bind all of it down.

I wonder if anyone out there has experimented with these and have any tips or advice. I'm partially thinking it's a bit "splitting hairs" when it comes to jigs as the details of the wrapping aren't as critical as in fly tying - as in you can get away with a bit of a rougher, thicker spool of thread for jigs based on the size and simplicity of them (for the most part).
[confused] I've just used what's in the sewing drawer. I'll see if a label is still on the spool tonight and report back. I figured it was just a polyester type thread.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:57 pm

210 denier is what I use and it works pretty good, but will snap if pulled too hard. Using a ceramic bobbin makes a huge difference. Took a few years before I broke down and got ceramic.....wished I would have switched over sooner. You can put much more pressure on the thread before it breaks, with the ceramic bobbins....Never thought it would make that much of a difference but it did.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Ok, checked the thread. For sewing thread it varies, but "cotton wrapped nylon" is one I've been using. My actual fly tying thread is 300 denier and it will break easily enough even if I double it up. Can't say I'm a big fan. Now, this kit I have is probably as old as I am (~40) and the thread that, I assume, came with it is like denier and very strong. Unfortunately it's running low, so I ran out and purchased some of the denier, but have been sorely disappointed with the results even though it acts similarly to the original thread. To that end I find I prefer relying on the sewing thread for my jigs as it allows for stronger wraps and bind free hitches when tying off the head. Maybe I just got some bad product in the denier I bought though, so FWIW.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:02 pm

BentRod wrote:Ok, checked the thread. For sewing thread it varies, but "cotton wrapped nylon" is one I've been using. My actual fly tying thread is 300 denier and it will break easily enough even if I double it up. Can't say I'm a big fan. Now, this kit I have is probably as old as I am (~40) and the thread that, I assume, came with it is like denier and very strong. Unfortunately it's running low, so I ran out and purchased some of the denier, but have been sorely disappointed with the results even though it acts similarly to the original thread. To that end I find I prefer relying on the sewing thread for my jigs as it allows for stronger wraps and bind free hitches when tying off the head. Maybe I just got some bad product in the denier I bought though, so FWIW.
Awesome. thank you very much for checking - thread has been on of those things I've been very curious on. So many choices, sizings, types, and opinions on it. I've read some say it's great and some say you'd be better off buying a nylon or kevlar thread (for a lot more $$$ too). I'm under the impression that sewing thread is OK to use - especially with a coat of nail polish to seal it. I think in that end it's all about getting that thickness down. I've got a few 70 denier threads that will snap if you sneeze too hard on them. I like the 210's and 3/0's as well but am always trying to learn more about what you can get away with in tying these things. Again, much thanks for your input and time! [biggrin]
-Jarod Kintz

SkyRiverMan
Petty Officer

Post by SkyRiverMan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:55 am

clothes don;t fall apart when they are wet..... sewing thread works just fine..... I have been using polyester sewing thread for 20 + years and the fish don;t seem to know the difference....comes in a zillion colors and cheap.

not saying all thread is created equal, because there is some seriously nice stuff out there... and it is always a joy to use the best, but realistically, generally the materials on your jig will wear out (get trashed by an angry fish), or you'll donate the jig to the river gods long before your thread (even straight cotton) will wear out....especially if you've slobbered some head cement/fingernail polish/super glue on your final wraps.

my biggest problem with thread is responding to the "where the ***** is all my pink thread...AGAIN?" and the accusatory glances that i get from my wife about once a year.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:58 am

SkyRiverMan wrote: my biggest problem with thread is responding to the "where the ***** is all my pink thread...AGAIN?" and the accusatory glances that i get from my wife about once a year.
:-"

SkyRiverMan
Petty Officer

Post by SkyRiverMan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:27 pm

exactly.... what would I want with pink thread? Pink? good grief...... [confused]

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks for your tips SkyRiverMan! I knew all this extra emphasis put on kevlar and nylon were just gimmicks by those fly tying companies! :D

I appreciate the time responding and will more than likely try out a few poly-blends from the local craft/sewing shop. I really think 900 yard spools of shrimp pink and hot pink are in order - that way the wife can ask you what happened to those pink threads every other year instead! [laugh]
-Jarod Kintz

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:05 pm

u guys are making jigs WAYYYY too complicated hahaha chenille and marabou, works great for both and salmon and steel
Attachments
twitch1.jpg
twitch1.jpg (207.29 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:03 am

Brat Bonker wrote:u guys are making jigs WAYYYY too complicated hahaha chenille and marabou, works great for both and salmon and steel
On the contrary, it's actually about making it less complicated. Unless you've done it you really have no idea how complicated or easy it is. Obviously, this pretty easy once you get the basics down. The home tied jig that I caught my first two Steelhead on looked like something a cat coughed up, so pretty isn't always a necessity. [biggrin]

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Great thread (pun intended). If you want to avoid dealing with lead you can tie bead and pin jigs as well. I order beads in all sizes and finishes online and get pins/nails from Home Depot. Slide the nail through the bead and tie it to a jig hook. I work in tight conditions and the fumes from melting and painting jigs aren't something I want lingering.
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Ok. Picked up a ceramic bobbin for 10$ and have to say. All the differnece in the world! Way better. No thread breaks and yet it has more tension on it!!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:07 am

ResQ wrote:Ok. Picked up a ceramic bobbin for 10$ and have to say. All the differnece in the world! Way better. No thread breaks and yet it has more tension on it!!
Sure wish I wouldn't have waited so long to try one....it really is amazing the difference it makes. Funny thing is the first one I bought was the cabelas brand one and got home and it was worse then the plain ones I had. Turned out it was defective. Exchanged it for a griffen (cabelas brand out of stock) and have been amazed at how much more pressure you can put on the thread without it breaking. The cabelas brand is fine....I just happen to get a bad one.