Native species of fish in Washington..

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
littleriver
Commander

RE:Native species of fish in Washington..

Post by littleriver » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:48 pm

I seem to recall excerpts from the recorded events of the lewis and clark expedition proclaiming their amazement at a wonderful fish that was colored like a "rainbow". In fact, I think it was from this excerpt that the fish ultimately got it's name.

If my recollections are true then "who planted the darned things???".... hopefully not some illegal immigrant from Russia or some place like that.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:20 pm

Good catch, LR! I thought they were native or atleast several generations as landlocked steelhead that became rainbows. I don't know, just guessing.

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:44 pm

and now I'm remembering a couple of other things from the L&C trip.

As I recall the scientific name for rainbow trout is "salmo gardineri" or something like that.

and I think one of our other treasured trout has a name "salmo Clarki" or something close.

if there are any fishologists around they may be able to correct any errors and I may be wrong cuz I'm going way, way back in the memory files. These are recollections from my days as a high schooler when I was one of those wierd guys who would read books on fishing in favor of chasing women. Made up for lost time, with the women that is, in college but the interest in fishing returned after I became a married man.

now, as I recall, the "salmo clarki" applies to cutthroat but I'm really sure the gairdineri is rainbow.

I believe that both were named by the L&C crew. That expedition was composed of numerous experts on flora and fauna and one of their missions was to bring back drawings and descriptions of new plants and species. There were many individuals involved in that trip who did nothing but draw pictures of new plants and ponder names and descriptions of new species that had never been seen east of the Mississippi. When the participants returned most spent a great deal of time thereafter recording and documenting all the new species they had identified. Part of this process was to name them and I'm pretty sure that this was when the Rainbow Trout (salmo gairdinari) and cutthroat trout (salmo clarki) became known and named species.

Now, it may very well have been that there were no rainbow trout in Washington. L&C traveled in Oregon and Idaho, and montana and they may have encountered the species in some state other than ours. But I am really sure that it was L&C that first identified and named these species.

I'm also recalling the reading of some historical information about the okanogan. How the first settlers were excited by how easy it was to catch the resident trout in the lakes. These trout were mostly rainbows as I recall but they might also have been cutts and "catch and release" was not the order of the day. All fish were retained and either eaten fresh or preserved with salt for future consumption.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:21 pm

ive already found out that perch are not native, but are they actually warm water fish? I know they live in Lake Michigan, and isnt that lake cold, or does that part of the US have a western wa. like climate.