Catch and Release when fishing with bait....

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
wabowhunter
Angler

RE:Catch and Release when fishing with bait....

Post by wabowhunter » Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 am

Hey Floater… it wasn’t my intentions to imply one user group was better or worse than the other… as I agree with you and that is what I was trying to say as well that it is individuals that choose to do either right or wrong.

Now that being said… a bit of personal background… I have fished (probably like many others here) my entire life. I have fished with every method legal (excluding Dupont Spinners). The issue that I have seen is that curtain types of fishing have a Higher Mortality impact on fish (especially soft mouth – trout). The thing that “Raffens64” said about the C&R by fly guys is correct… even on “quality lakes” or “selective fisher lakes” is why a lot of guys I know fly fish. This doesn’t mean that fly guys are better, there are bad apples there too… The thing that I have found and researched is that more the 80% of trout caught on a fly are caught in the lip only, this is what allows and promotes/allow C&R. There are times that a trout is slow on the take or a fisherman is slow on the set and will hook deep or in the eye, this is when you have to decide if you are going to break the law or not (if a one fish retention limit). Also... if you want to fish all day... go Barbless... I have... not bragging or imposing my choice...

We all just need to promote legal fishing otherwise we may lose our activity… remember there are actually people out there (literally and figuratively) that are trying to stop fishing because it hurts the fish…

http://fishinghurts.com/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/ ... 6288.shtml

http://www.salmon-river.com/hilts-2.htm

Just something to think about….

Cheers and Report them if they are breaking the law..!

wabowhunter

Palmer
Warrant Officer

RE:Catch and Release when fishing with bait....

Post by Palmer » Tue May 22, 2007 11:19 pm

Just use common sense. If a gill, an eye, or the stomach is torn when you dislodge the hook then it should count as your 5 daily limit. I think that most often when bait fishing the hook is lodged deep in the throat and when you have to put your hands all over the fish to hold it and rip the throat and/or gill to dislodge the hook then the fish is dead and should count as your limit.

Today I'm driving down the road listening to a commentator talk of laws protecting our jobs and borders against illegel immigrants yet there is little law enforcement. In front of me, I see 5 pedestrians trying to walk accross the road and I make no effort to slow down because there is not an intersection (unmarked crosswalk), but the police officer behind me stops for them without any verbal warning to them for breaking the law and placing themselves in harms way. I then think to myself, why are they so strict at enforcing the little things in life and so lax at laws that protect life, liberty, and justice. In one instance I had a couple thugs trashing my car so I called 911. They said that if I was safe then they couldn't send an officer down to help me but that someone would take my report the next morning. This happened in Seattle. However, if you're caught poaching you may lose thousands of dollars. (I have never poached a big game animal and I like immigrants but all laws need to be enforced or repealed instead of picking and choosing unless you're on a jury.)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 22, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tug's the Drug