So many different power baits

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
bigastrout
Commander

RE:So many different power baits

Post by bigastrout » Wed May 09, 2007 12:22 am

I like to use a 1/2 ounce barrel weight. it casts great and I think the fish can pick it up off the bottom when they take the bait but when they try to spit your bait because of the weight it is heavy enough to take care of most of the hook sets for you. Just make sure that you use a bead between the bait and your swivel to protect your knot.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed May 09, 2007 2:33 pm

I'd much rather use my fly rod for trout but there are times that a paste bait works better. I lean towards orange, chartruse, and american flag, but have a couple of other colors just in case. For me the main trick is to make sure that there is enough Power bait on the hook to float the hook up off bottom. If it won't float I either add more PB or a marshmallow to make it float. Remember the old favorite worm, Pautzke red egg, and a marshmallow?
Life's short - fish hard!

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Wed May 09, 2007 10:21 pm

bigastrout wrote:I like to use a 1/2 ounce barrel weight. it casts great and I think the fish can pick it up off the bottom when they take the bait but when they try to spit your bait because of the weight it is heavy enough to take care of most of the hook sets for you. Just make sure that you use a bead between the bait and your swivel to protect your knot.
Thanks much for the info. It will be put to use.

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Tue May 15, 2007 12:27 am

Hey bustin

Let me know how that works for you. I have a couple of other tricks if your still having trouble.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

glastron876
Petty Officer

Post by glastron876 » Tue May 15, 2007 3:02 pm

There is alot of good advice that I saw as I went through everyone's responses - I myself, have tried the Power Eggs, but don't care for them that much though - I go by the concept of soft dough Power Bait giving the fish an opportunity to "taste" - maybe get a bit in their mouth - and come back for more - Power Eggs don't seem to be able to do that - it is "all or nothing" type of bait.

Dough Power Bait - with the sparkles, typically Orange has been good for me. One addition - Bass Attractant. Yup "Bass" type attractant. I don't know why but generally draws them in like flies. Also Trout Gravy (little Black bottle) works pretty well also.

As for Spray type attractants - don't use them. My routine & rig for certain lakes, when bottom fishing is:
- 1/2 oz Barrel Weight, small red bead (protecting the knot), black swivel, 18-24" leader, small Trout type (gold) hook -or- #6/#8 hook
- Orange glitter Power Bait (dough type) rolled into small ball, then molded onto hook
- A couple small drops of attractant in the palm of your hand, then roll the baited hook gently between your palms, this will embed the attractant into the PB. Better than spraying I feel.

*** Be sure to wash your hands in the water first then dry with towel before handling your bait & attractant or you may have just wasted your time. Trout can smell alot of things that will deter them from your bait. Dirty hands can mean you sit there "fishing" not "catching" - that includes baiting after having a cigarette as well - I smoke and have noticed the difference at times.

*** Pay attention to the leader lengths mentioned - you could be sitting right next to someone - fishing the exact same set up & bait, but if they are getting all the action and you none - then check out their leader lengths vs. yours - is your's shorter/longer ? That could be the difference. In addition, sometimes going to smaller hook (meaning smaller bait presentation) may also do the trick.

Tight Lines.
"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day. Teach someone to fish and you get rid of them for the whole weekend"

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:16 pm

fishunt83 wrote:I have about 15-20 different types of power baits and cant find one that will work for me. Does anybody have any suggestions. Im fishing for trout.
Rainbow for Pine Lake

Glittery Green for Conconully

Red for Lake Washington

Red with maggots for high mountain lakes

Look at what everyone else is using.

Change every half hour

use slip weight - 3/4 oz, swivel, 4' of 6 lb test, and a gamakatsu egg hook.
Tug's the Drug

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:20 pm

Palmer wrote:
fishunt83 wrote:I have about 15-20 different types of power baits and cant find one that will work for me. Does anybody have any suggestions. Im fishing for trout.
Rainbow for Pine Lake

Glittery Green for Conconully

Red for Lake Washington

Red with maggots for high mountain lakes

Look at what everyone else is using.

Change every half hour

use slip weight - 3/4 oz, swivel, 4' of 6 lb test, and a gamakatsu egg hook.
Seems that Blackman's is Red (either bait or eggs).