Wynoochee Drift

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Re: Wynoochee Drift

Post by bassplayer17 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:15 pm

There is a pay to play launch a little ways down from 7400 they sell keys my guide bud got one rumor has it there going to do a pay to play at 7400 too...
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:31 pm

If they really close the upper drift you can kiss the wynoochee goodbye. During prime season 20 boats do each drift. Now. If they close 7400, thats 40 boats on one smallish stretch of river. Say goodbye to the nooch if they do it, really a shame. Already a really crowded river, it was nice to have the long 7400 drift to spread out on. Too bad. Even late late season it will become a hassle
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:26 pm

bassplayer17 wrote:There is a pay to play launch a little ways down from 7400 they sell keys my guide bud got one rumor has it there going to do a pay to play at 7400 too...
Shhh!

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:03 pm

[-X :^o :-#
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

kieth stone
Petty Officer

Post by kieth stone » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:10 pm

I don't think we can really blame boaters, I'd blame the company for not wanting to deal with them. They don't have to let us use it, but it's a PIA that they won't now.

really????????????

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:42 pm

I agree 100% with Kieth. Private property is a privilege not a right. Be thankful for what was and is there to use and not feel entitled. Being a good steward of the land/areas you use is #1. I am not pointing fingers at anyone, just do what you can to reserve our future. Any private entity has the right to do what they feel is best for their land.

Now waiting for thread lock from mods for site sponsor. :-({|=

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:57 pm

mallard83 wrote:I agree 100% with Kieth. Private property is a privilege not a right. Be thankful for what was and is there to use and not feel entitled. Being a good steward of the land/areas you use is #1. I am not pointing fingers at anyone, just do what you can to reserve our future. Any private entity has the right to do what they feel is best for their land.

Now waiting for thread lock from mods for site sponsor. :-({|=
I couldn't agree more. Every year at the begining of the season I put a 100 in the box at the Ranch hole in Sultan. I pick up trash. My point was just that the trash problem didn't seem to be as bad as it could.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:01 pm

I see.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:08 pm

mallard83 wrote:I see.
Whatever.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:12 pm

So I should be mad at all the idiots that put garbage on the side of the river instead of being disappointed that the company doesn't want to put up with us anymore? I didn't thank them enough or appreciate the fact that they went out on a limb and have let us access the launch? 90% of us that were out there are good citizens, maybe it was the 10% that ruined it for everyone. I'm still allowed to be a little upset at the company for potentially shutting down a fishery that I care about. Why so frigging serious over here. I'm not defending idiots littering, or taking good things for granted.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:13 pm

Sorry I didn't jump on the "let's blame the litterers, crazies and snaggers" bandwagon soon enough.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:36 am

So here is the thing. You can't use the site to bash people and be insulting, whether they are a sponsor, a premium member, or a regular member. It's fine to express an opinion, but when you then extend that opinion into personal attacks and name calling it crosses the line.

The site's Terms of Condition and Forum Guidelines are clearly spelled out on this issue.

We won't allow obnoxious and rude behavior. Take it somewhere else.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:35 pm

guess we have to put in t the fish counting facility now... :-"
has anyone been drifting the nooch lately if so is there any thing to be aware of in between crossover and white bridge thinking of doing this drift with my dad soon.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:54 pm

I can honestly say one thing, not taking any sides but from what i saw in the 3-4 times i launched off the 7400 launch this winter was that the place looked completely clean and un-abused to me, must be the increased traffic they are worried about because there is virtually no abuse at the 7400 launch site as of march 2013

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:guess we have to put in t the fish counting facility now... :-"
has anyone been drifting the nooch lately if so is there any thing to be aware of in between crossover and white bridge thinking of doing this drift with my dad soon.
As of march when i was fishing it, theres lots of wood but nothing you cant simply go to shore and walk around. Especially at low flow

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:18 am

Brat Bonker wrote:guess we have to put in t the fish counting facility now... :-"
There is a crazy canyon that basically makes it super dangerous to do that drift. I believe that American Whitewater rates it a class 3, but because of the wood and debris that it collects as well as the remoteness of it they say it should be treated as a class 5. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather not put my boat in danger, no matter how much of an expert rower I am.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:41 am

no guts no glory haha jk but anything about white bridge and crossover drift to be aware of.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Just wood. Be aware and look ahead. The way is pretty self evident. It's easy. But that's where most boats go down, because people assume it's easy and get drunk and flip.

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:06 pm

natetreat wrote: No matter how much of an expert rower I am.
One thing is 4 sure, talking about navigating whitewater or rivers and accurately fishing as an oarsman are two very different things. I know plenty of folks that are amazing Oarsmen and Boatmen, but they would have no clue about how to run plugs or properly guide and the other way around. I would guess 95% of the people running drift boats would widdle in their pants if they saw or experienced a true expert taking a fishing drift boat (not a dory) down class III let alone class IV.

When I consider expertise what comes to my mind is how long someone has been behind the oars? How many different types of crafts they have rowed? What are the grades of rivers that they have cleanly descended down?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:58 pm

jumpinjim wrote:
natetreat wrote: No matter how much of an expert rower I am.
One thing is 4 sure, talking about navigating whitewater or rivers and accurately fishing as an oarsman are two very different things. I know plenty of folks that are amazing Oarsmen and Boatmen, but they would have no clue about how to run plugs or properly guide and the other way around. I would guess 95% of the people running drift boats would widdle in their pants if they saw or experienced a true expert taking a fishing drift boat (not a dory) down class III let alone class IV.

When I consider expertise what comes to my mind is how long someone has been behind the oars? How many different types of crafts they have rowed? What are the grades of rivers that they have cleanly descended down?
I like the white water. The highest I've taken my boat down is class III so far. But I'm not sure that there is water big enough around here to go down anything more than that. My boat is too big to fit through the nooch canyon, and I'm not going to pull it over it.

But you're dead on the money about fishing and rowing, and rowing being two seperate things. I'd rather fish with my rod in a hold or between my knees while rowing than have some of my buddies on the sticks. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, I have to try to hold back the bossy. I'm sure you've had the same experience.