Why is the boat steering wheel on the right side?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Why is the boat steering wheel on the right side?

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Amx wrote:'Small' boats in the salt are on the right, BUT, you CAN, or COULD buy small boats with the steering on the left, I've seen pictures. And some have a center console.

The LARGE ships have center helms. But then the helmsman doesn't really watch where he's going, the capt. or officer of the day tells the helmsman where to steer. :scratch:

Anyway, what I heard many years ago is in Eruope the drivers of wagons were on the right, so the boat were on the right, so the cars are on the right.

Americans didn't want to do what England did, so they went with driving on the left in cars. BUT, if they used that reasoning, then why didn't Americans drive their wagons on the left?

To confusing for me to worry about it. I just go fishing.
racfish wrote:My question is. We drive autos from the left and boats on the right. In the UK they drive autos on the right side,Where is their steering located on marine crafts? On the left?

This topic is much less about engineering and a lot more about history and that's just the way they did it. A while ago I was involved in the same topic on a couple of other forums (boating and boat building), with some really knowledgeable guys so I scarfed some of the material that came up there along with some straight up research from my favorite history haunts..... Libraries. My Uncle was also a maritime historian and attorney for the US Gov. and he is published, so I’ve listened to him for hours and hours over the years along with reading his books, as well a smattering of historical lectures put on by the CWB. So some of that material has been posted so really all one has to do is read the thread and or follow the links. The question has already been answered. If you feel I'm wrong, bring it on but, remember to support your suppositions.
To those that seem think I'm being a bully, sorry about that, I guess you're entitled to your own opinion. I have not blasted anyone personally that didn't specifically ask for it. So neener, neener, neener. [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]
For the others that resorted name calling by calling me a “know it all”, ok so be it, I’m guilty, live with it.

I'm going to state this once only. Ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of. I will never feel sorry for anyone in their ignorance, nor will I belittle them. Ignorance is something that anyone can do something about. The easiest way to get around the problem is to study and read. It's not hard it just takes a little time and effort. I have friends that no one here would ever accuse of being smart in fact the State has labeled them with “diminished capacity”. They are far from ignorant, they go to the library almost every day and study on the subject of their choosing. They are for the most part “History Buffs” and can answer about any question you may have about any period or event. Do I feel sorry for them, heck no, they are some of the liveliest conversationalists and debaters I know. I'm proud to call them friends. Lets just study up to keep up.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:39 pm

PS RAC and AMX, not callng you out in anyway, just more questions. :) :)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Understood. I just wanted to ramble a bit before I mentioned that I really don't care why. But I've also heard something like;

Most people are right handed, so it was easier to whip the horses pulling the wagon with their right hand/arm. That would put the whip outside the wagon and not into the rear passenger's face, getting tangled in cargo, etc. So they drove the wagons on the right side, and so followed that with the cars. [biggrin]

But it can be interesting to figure out why people did, or do, things in the distant past, and do things now.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:48 pm

And besides, if a person knows the answer, he has the right to answer the questain. [thumbsup]
Tom.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:21 am

Yeah, I get caught up in the ramble too...... It kinda hits midcentury. Our friends to the North still prefer to put the wheel on the Port side of small craft for some reason and I have no idea.
For many things especially in history there are no right or wrongs, just the way they are. And of course the biggest one of all, “Might makes right” or “He with the most cash wins”. I know people here view most of the threads as a discussion. I can go along with that in most circumstances but as the discussion becomes more spirited and emotional they cease to be a discussion and they become debate. For debate there are rules of engagement. State your supposition or theory. Support your arguments with fact. State your opinion and correlate it to your arguments. It's not about getting p!ssy and calling names and getting all b#tt hurt. It's a debate.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:05 am

Like I said, don't know if they are right. But point taken.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm

I was really playing around on my dumb comments. I asked the Honda dealer about this once. He told me the right side of the boat makes less angles to the motor running the steering mechanism then the left side. The steering is on the right side of a honda outboard thus one less 90 degree turn. I hope it makes sense. I too was babbling on my first reply.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Sounds good enough to me. [thumbsup]

And for the record, I NEVER babble. [biggrin]
Tom.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Yeah, I should have read the rest of the story, but it's all conjecture in fun. Fish on!