Coyote Hunting

All things related to hunting.
edge540
Commander

Re: Coyote Hunting

Post by edge540 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 pm

I drive from maple valley on 18 every morning in 167 on my way to work a 5am. I keep seeing a lone coyote in the same spot west of the cedar river bridge about every 3 days. Course im in the new car so I slow down and drive around him..... god I miss my old commuter .... id be chasing that sucker down the ditch #-o

wolverine
Captain

Re: Coyote Hunting

Post by wolverine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:39 am

I'm a wet side yote hunter. lots of the mangy fur bags around to play with. The fur on the local yotes isn't worth pulling off the carcass as its really nasty. Lots of areas to hunt around on this side. You just have to do a fair amount of door knocking for permission (a decent bottle of wine also helps). Most land owners want the yote population thinned out as well as the feral cats.
I've got a few spots where I can get 300+ yard shots, but most are under 100. I use a Foxpro electronic caller most of the time, but often pack a couple of blow calls along. Currently using a 204 AR most of the time with 40 gr pills. If I'm going to hunt in a lot of brush I pack a 12 ga using hevi-shot. I've tried a 17HMR but unless the set up is perfect, its not enough. I use my 17 in eastern Montana as a walk around prairie rat gun.
it's been a decent winter for the song dogs. I've shot at 27 and put 23 of them away. Another month to go then I go back to fishing.

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”