who wants to talk about steelhead??

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

RE:who wants to talk about steelhead??

Post by travislikesfishing » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 pm

i went fisihng on the snke a again this weekend with my uncle and dad but only my dad got 1 in i lost 1 got it right up to the baNK and it jump out of the water swinging around and the hook went flying out nearly hit me he got a 28 inch 7 pounder i told him to post pics on the site and a report so hell get around to it in a couple days im sure
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:53 pm

Nice Fish. I agree with Sam that you will do better, and save on small fish with a single hook. Also certain sections of the Lewis are still legal for that lure and some are not.
Many rivers flow through many different counties. I don't think we need a seperate listing for each county...

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:33 am

Derrick-k wrote:
leahcim_dahc wrote:I would love to catch one...I hear they put up one heck of a fight. Even heard it to rival that of a Silver or King...don't know though.

As for the fight, pound for pound, a native steelhead is better than a King or a Silver. A chrome 8lb native steelhead vs. a chrome 8lb King or a chrome 8lb silver, the steelhead will definatly win.
I don't necessarily agree with the last quote that an 8 lb steelie is a better fighter than an 8 lb silver. I have been fishing for over 55 years in and around the northwest and I can honestly state that winter steelhead are a bit more lethargic because of the cold water in our local rivers. A summer steelie is quite another story. It can rival just about anything pound for pound with the exception of a tuna. That being said, I truely love fishing year round in our great state, be it in a boat or kicking rocks along the bank. I have never had a bad day fishing and the catching is just an added bonus.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:22 am

Great avatar Stampie. Sounds like you have been fishing around the northwest almost as long as I have. And, I agree, summer steelhead are much better fighers than the cold water winter runs. What brand of beer is your avatar drinking? Red Hook?
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:05 pm

the1fishingpro wrote: Plus I used a single hook in Alaska this year for Sockeye, It had a hard time staying in the fishes mouth, always wanted to fall out. So in a way I think trebles are the hooks for me.
The reason that you were probably loosing a lot of the Sockeye on the single hooks is because they have a softer mouth. Steelhead you really don't have to worry as much because it says it right in their name "steel"head. Their heads are extremely hard. I have had steelhead break some pretty strong hooks like they were twigs. You also get deeper penetrating more sure hookups with a single.

But hey, if a treble is legal to use and that is what you feel most comfortable fishing with, then do it. Good luck.

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:26 pm

hey got a quesion for any1 who can answer it when i went steelhead fishing last weekend my uncle caught some lil fish off a blue fox i was wondering what it was he thought is was a baby steelie it was wild i know that it still had its fin but it didnt look like a steelie it had a different tail that was shaped like an arrow or something i seen a silver samlon pictures befor and it kinda looked like that but i didnt think they would be all the way down by lower granit dam on the snake does any1 got any ideas?

ps- it was released unharmed but i didnt have a camera on me forgot it at home

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:28 pm

Could be a sea-run cutt or a whitefish or something...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:56 pm

I don't think sea run cutts make it up that far, do they?
If it was a salmonoid, then it was most likely a cutt

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:05 pm

Probably a jack coho. there's a big slug of coho that go over bonneville in September and there's probably a few still working their way up the snake. Definitely not an src. SRC are an "estuary fish". They are definitely not prone to making long runs up rivers like the columbia and the snake.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:08 pm

littleriver wrote: Definitely not an src. SRC are an "estuary fish". They are definitely not prone to making long runs up rivers like the columbia and the snake.
My bad...Forgot hes fishing way over on the other side of the state...

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:44 pm

fishingmachine wrote:Has anyone else had any luck yet on the snoqualmie river this year for steelhead
I hear the Sky is a better bet right now. Bait opens up soon out there, could be good fishing....

dbfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by dbfisherman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:50 pm

Does anyone ever fish in clark county? Daybreak? Lewisville? All parks on the Lewis river that rumors have decent winter steelhead runs. Tips for fishing the semi fast current waters would help VERY much. New to fishing for them.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 am

Dbfisherman,

I fish mainly all over clark county. My cousin caught a decent 6lb winter run steely the other day with a Blue Fox #5 blue spinner. Pretty soon, Bobber & Jig or Egg bouncing will be the best ticket to catching these steelys(Daybreak for sure). Recommended........ If your going to use a spinner, cast and reel with the current, not against and try to use fairly bigger spinners such as #5s (colors shouldnt matter as long as spinner is silver). Try to keep lures or Jigs as close to the bottom as possible and try to reel the spinners in slow. Sometimes Steelys wont strike untill the lure is infront of there face, so dont give up in 1 spot just because you arent seeing quick progress. Also, Steelys tend to stay in pairs. So where theres 1.....theres usually another. Never keep natives and always remember to retie your spinners or jigs after snagging up because the currents push your line into rock and sticks and start to fray your line. Plus u dont want to lose your fish just because the line snaps at the knot. If you got any further questions, just PM me. Im on everyday, and good luck out there!
If in doubt set the hook!

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:30 am

OMG, I just noticed that you have -634 points. How is that possible?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:07 am

the1fishingpro,
I think most river fishermen actually cast straight out, perpendicular to the current, then let it swing in to them, slowly reeling in, keeping the spinner in the stike zone for much longer then casting just upstream. Not 100% sure though, I don't do any river fishing with spinners...Also, that steely you caught was likely a summerrun steelie.

Sounds like you're off to a solid start on the steelheading stuff man, good luck at it and keep us entertained with the pictures when you catch em...

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:49 pm

Bass Tracker wrote:Great avatar Stampie. Sounds like you have been fishing around the northwest almost as long as I have. And, I agree, summer steelhead are much better fighers than the cold water winter runs. What brand of beer is your avatar drinking? Red Hook?
No - hands down its Alaskan Amber for this guy....... Thanks for asking.

dbfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by dbfisherman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks fishingpro. Thinking about heading there today to see if I can spot any then go to sportmans to get prepared.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:21 pm

Ok sounds cool, good luck! Rip them up!

Woot my 200th post!

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:27 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:the1fishingpro,
I think most river fishermen actually cast straight out, perpendicular to the current, then let it swing in to them, slowly reeling in, keeping the spinner in the stike zone for much longer then casting just upstream. Not 100% sure though, I don't do any river fishing with spinners...Also, that steely you caught was likely a summerrun steelie.

Sounds like you're off to a solid start on the steelheading stuff man, good luck at it and keep us entertained with the pictures when you catch em...
For me it depends on the stream size, for big rivers I cast out perpendicular, and for the smaller rivers i cast upstream so I can get a longer drift.
Personally I prefer steel-lee spoons, because I buy them in a pack of 5 for cheap at sport-co, and also because they cast well and get a good fluttering action.

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:00 am

hey derrick k and sam kafelafish are those steelhead in your avatars is derricks chrom but sams possibly a trip not a steelie or what just curios?