trout gear questions

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Chad Bobington
Petty Officer

trout gear questions

Post by Chad Bobington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:46 pm

I have an el-cheapo Shakespeare spinning reel from a beginners kit from many years ago (respooled with good eight pound line) that came with a 5' rod. I also have a 2 piece 5/6 weight beginners fly rod from many years ago. What I am wondering is if I can use this spinning reel and the fly rod so I can use a longer pole for large trout. (triploids of 15-20 inches max)
Success in my book is getting the line in the water... fish are simply a bonus.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:trout gear questions

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Chad Bobington wrote: What I am wondering is if I can use this spinning reel and the fly rod so I can use a longer pole for large trout. (triploids of 15-20 inches max)
Huh?? I don't understand what your asking? Are you asking if the basic spinning reel and fly rod are fine for stocker trout... and should you get a larger rod for Triploids?? Re-phrase.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Chad Bobington
Petty Officer

Post by Chad Bobington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:38 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
Chad Bobington wrote: What I am wondering is if I can use this spinning reel and the fly rod so I can use a longer pole for large trout. (triploids of 15-20 inches max)
Huh?? I don't understand what your asking? Are you asking if the basic spinning reel and fly rod are fine for stocker trout... and should you get a larger rod for Triploids?? Re-phrase.
hmm... thats a fail...
well I normally use that reel and the 5 footer pole and want something larger, like the 8 foot fly rod. I'm just not sure if a 5/6 wieght fly rod can handle those large triplods stocked in the lake

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:48 pm

If you are wondering if you can use the spinning reel on your flyrod than the answer is yes.It is an odd feeling not having a butt end of the pole behind the reel and takes getting used to. As for whether the 5/6 flyrod can handle triploids,well yes it can ,but it is always up to the person controling the gear and whether they can handle it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Chad Bobington wrote:hmm... thats a fail...well I normally use that reel and the 5 footer pole and want something larger, like the 8 foot fly rod. I'm just not sure if a 5/6 wieght fly rod can handle those large triplods stocked in the lake
A light weight fly rod with a spinning reel will work fine although it will be a little awkward when fighting a big one. Just loosen the drag on the spinning reel and take your time when fighting larger fish.
One thing to be aware of is that your grip will be in front of the fast turning spinning reel and could cause you to lose some skin off of your knuckles while your fighting the fish of a life time. Good luck with this one.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Chad Bobington
Petty Officer

Post by Chad Bobington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:55 pm

produce2troutcat wrote:If you are wondering if you can use the spinning reel on your flyrod than the answer is yes.It is an odd feeling not having a butt end of the pole behind the reel and takes getting used to. As for whether the 5/6 flyrod can handle triploids,well yes it can ,but it is always up to the person controling the gear and whether they can handle it.
haha ok... so since I'm not used to taking them with soft gear, how should i go about controlling the gear?

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Chad Bobington wrote:haha ok... so since I'm not used to taking them with soft gear, how should i go about controlling the gear?
Time on the water will be your best teacher. After a few trips you should be able to figure out what works for you.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Big D

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:05 pm

I guess what I meant is that its up to the fisherperson whether or not they catch the fish such as tying bad knots ,trying to bully the fish on too light of line test, trying to set the hook too early......
You could tie some string to your finger to catch fish if you want and still screw it up.

Chad Bobington
Petty Officer

Post by Chad Bobington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Big D wrote:
Chad Bobington wrote:haha ok... so since I'm not used to taking them with soft gear, how should i go about controlling the gear?
Time on the water will be your best teacher. After a few trips you should be able to figure out what works for you.
ok! I just hope that if I accidentally roughly handle the fish the rod won't break...

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:19 pm

I use a 5 foot ultra light and have no problems with trout. set hook with your drag tight then loosen it up to play the fish.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Big D

Post by Big D » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:05 am

Chad Bobington wrote: ok! I just hope that if I accidentally roughly handle the fish the rod won't break...
Breaking a rod while horsing in a big fish would be a much better way to break your rod than the way I did it yesterday. As I was unloading my boat I folded down the passenger seat and heard that distinct tink sound that can only mean one thing…A broken rod tip. That’s one ugly stick to the broken rod pile because maybe someday I’ll break another one at the handle and together I can make one good rod out of the two broken halves. No big deal…

My point being…Do all you can do to lessen the chance of broken, lost or stolen gear but in the end…It’s all about the fishing. Don’t sweat the small stuff and understand that in the big picture…It’s all small stuff. If you spend much time on the water you’re going to break things. Don’t let the possibility of broken gear stop you from enjoying time outdoors.
Big D

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:13 am

Hey D ugly sticks are lifetime guaranteed. Get a hold of them and they will replace it. (I my dad has done it twice for the same pole.)
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Chad Bobington
Petty Officer

Post by Chad Bobington » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:48 pm

thats what my tiny little 5 footer pole is that i want to replace with the cheap fly rod

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Use it! its will be more than fine
I used my 5/6 weight before i broke it on 15 pound chums and 30 pound chinook
15 to 20 inch trips wont break the road, just have a loose drag
my dads 11' 6" g loomins spinning rod is 2 - 4 pound test and it catches big chinook and steelhead, so your set
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

Chad Bobington
Petty Officer

Post by Chad Bobington » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 am

fear_no_fish wrote:Use it! its will be more than fine
I used my 5/6 weight before i broke it on 15 pound chums and 30 pound chinook
15 to 20 inch trips wont break the road, just have a loose drag
my dads 11' 6" g loomins spinning rod is 2 - 4 pound test and it catches big chinook and steelhead, so your set
ok thanks!

p.s. i like your sig ;)