Equipment for Springers

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Equipment for Springers

Post by Jhuynh2 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:47 pm

For a first time springer fisherman going to Cowlitz, what test line should you use? Bait? Can you catch em at the barrier dam at night time? Can you fish at night at the cowlitz? Fish - On everyone! and take them seals out!

flinginpooh
Captain

RE:Equipment for Springers

Post by flinginpooh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:14 pm

The dam stays open till 10pm blue creek is open all night. Standard drift gear. Red color should be the ticket. I use 20lb main and 15 pound leader.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

Okie
Petty Officer

RE:Equipment for Springers

Post by Okie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:59 pm

I'm new to salmon fishing myself. So, I asked around while I was at the barrier dam last week. The guys I talked with were using beads, eggs, and/or sand shrimp in some combination. Most were bouncing their offerings on the bottom. I saw a couple of 'em float fishing. I tried both float and bottom and came up empty. Did see a springer caught off the island.
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.