Feds preparing to shut down recreational fishing...

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
MikeFishes
Commander

Feds preparing to shut down recreational fishing...

Post by MikeFishes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 pm

I've heard from several different people who are in different fishing clubs that the Feds were looking at shutting down the fisheries in the sound. Looks like they were right...

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/salt ... id=4975762

"...what we're seeing coming at us is an attempted dismantling of the science-based fish and wildlife model that has served us so well. There's no basis in science for the agendas of these groups who are trying to push the public out of being able to fish and recreate...."

Discuss.

flinginpooh
Captain

RE:Feds preparing to shut down recreational fishing...

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:47 pm

Well if they shut it down like that. Ill be going to jail. I mean Im native man and snoqualmie at that. We been fishing these damn waters way before america was america ya know. Im not saying I wanna get out and net. But Ill be damned if Im not gonna fish. It is a way of life for my family for as long as I can remember. We hunt during huning seasons and we fish the rest of the time. President not allowing for public input. Sounds like there is some agendas being handled and some pockets getting fat. F the government for even thinkin of this. My opinion.
More fish please!

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:14 pm

I've been fishing these waters since I can remember and my Stepfather before me, And my Grandfather before him and so on and so on. My sons are just beginning to actually enjoy fishing. I don't want to be the one to tell them they can't fish anymore because some politician said so! If the president wants to shut down recreational fishing across the country then he'd better be prepared for a hellstorm because there's a whole lot of other folks out there like me that really won't take too kindly to that notion. I'm willing to bet it'll go a lot farther than just losing votes. Can you say lawsuits!!!
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

Okie
Petty Officer

Post by Okie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Warning political statement follows:

Government is encroaching into EVERY aspect of our lives. It is no longer We The People but, We The Government. Both political parties have participated, but to a far greater extent, the leaders of the Democratic party want to tell us what to eat, what to drive, how far you can drive, when and where you can carry your weapon or even have a weapon, where to set your thermostat in you own home, whether you can burn wood in your fireplace, and now wanting to tell us that we can't fish. This list is far from complete (never ending increases in taxes for one).

As Thomas Paine wrote, government is a necessary evil. Now, it has creep-ed over its boundary. I hope enough people recognize that it's time to put the government in its place. If I could make one suggestion, read history, read about our founding fathers and the principles and values put in to place to keep this country the land of the free.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 pm

[cursing] #-o :-({|= [thumbdn]
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:55 am

I don't know about the sounds, but this was brought up a few months ago. It would most likely shut down areas that actually do need to be shutdown or places that have been shutdown before. Places like California, the Great Lakes. Only thing I could really see them shutting down in Washington is rockfish and lingcod fishing out in the sounds and Washington coast since it takes some of them about 10-20 years of living to even be able to spawn and maybe some areas in the sound for salmon where numbers are low in the rivers for those salmon.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:18 am

nope no problem here with it, just keep the comecial outta the sound too, oh and get the nets outta the river while theyre at it.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 am

Another article on the topic:

Public fishing

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:02 am

kantill
Warrant Officer

Post by kantill » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:31 am

It just seems to me to be the beginning of much larger issue. They have been trying to stop hunting for sometime now and if they can stop fishing I feel it would be the push they have needed for them to accomplish that task. They don't even seem to care on how many people this will affect just "save the environment" crap. Do I feel that we can do a better job in managing our coastal waters of course we can but not at the cost of yours and mine rights of fishing rights. The fact is the government has completely lost is that they work for us and we as a people need to find a way make them remember this FACT, or we will lose alot more than just the right to hunt or fish.
Need tech support? I can Help!
http://www.crossloop.com/KellyAntill

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:35 am

This has been coming for a long time now.
They take a bit at a time and when the time is right, they will take the rest.
The current lead ban thing that is going on for example.
This started with the lead shot, once they got that outlawed the tire weights and fishing gear became much easier to push through. I don't think they will ever totally outlaw hunting and fishing but I do think it will become two expencive for most folks and will just fade away. We as outdoor folks once held the majority now we are the minority. Hang on cause the road is going to get bumpy, (IMHO)
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:49 am

jbball50 wrote:I don't know about the sounds, but this was brought up a few months ago. It would most likely shut down areas that actually do need to be shutdown or places that have been shutdown before. Places like California, the Great Lakes. Only thing I could really see them shutting down in Washington is rockfish and lingcod fishing out in the sounds and Washington coast since it takes some of them about 10-20 years of living to even be able to spawn and maybe some areas in the sound for salmon where numbers are low in the rivers for those salmon.
Find a club and attend a meeting, or talk to people who have been to these meetings. The fed does want to shut down fishing (including trolling for salmon) in the sound to protect the Rockfish. That's what I heard from two different people who attended to different meetings from two different clubs. And one of them had someone from the WDFW Fisheries division who told them that.

The fact is, if we as recreational fishermen don't band together and fight against this, we'll loose our privileges of providing meat for our own family through fishing in the sound. Right now, the current administration cares very little about what you or I think or how it impacts us. This is obvious.

I second the sentiment that the Tribal commercial fishing practices need to be changed. I understand the whole "we were here before you were here" argument. But, if the fisheries are really stretched, then EVERYONE needs to take responsibility. Especially those who claim unique rights above others.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:52 am

Maybe the Soviets were correct. Perhaps our universities will destroy our country and democracy.
Lee

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:52 am

LOL!
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:26 am

sickbayer wrote:nope no problem here with it, just keep the comecial outta the sound too, oh and get the nets outta the river while theyre at it.
I am certainly in the minority here. But nobody likes when restrictions, or complete take-aways effect them. If I like to drive classic cars, and the govt. decides that these cars pollute too much.... and therefor put a ban on driving these cars, then it would seem that I would be pissed about this too, etc. But I know as anybody else who has fished in Puget Sound over the past 30-40 years, that it in abismal shape. The bottom fish cod populations and others just aren't there. Flounder with tumors, etc. Overfished with no restrictions in previous years. As a recreational fisherman there wasn't even a salt water bottom fishing license while growing up. I just feel like as tight as the restrictions have become in terms of what fisheries are open at what times.. and what the limits are... if we still have a very marginal population of fish, then maybe our current regs. haven't been able to sustain or regrow the earlier populations. Yes, Native netting is a HUGE hit to fish populations, all I am saying is that sometimes you just have to put something down before it is completly gone. It hurts when it is something you love. Is this govt's first step in banning everything wildlife wise? We can only hope not. As Sickbayer said, if it is on the way out, I think that should mean for all groups, Native, recreational, commercial, etc.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:14 am

OOOPS !! Didnt see that someone started a post !! darn starbucks !!! #-o

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:35 am

The Quadfather wrote:
sickbayer wrote:nope no problem here with it, just keep the comecial outta the sound too, oh and get the nets outta the river while theyre at it.
I am certainly in the minority here. But nobody likes when restrictions, or complete take-aways effect them. If I like to drive classic cars, and the govt. decides that these cars pollute too much.... and therefor put a ban on driving these cars, then it would seem that I would be pissed about this too, etc. But I know as anybody else who has fished in Puget Sound over the past 30-40 years, that it in abismal shape. The bottom fish cod populations and others just aren't there. Flounder with tumors, etc. Overfished with no restrictions in previous years. As a recreational fisherman there wasn't even a salt water bottom fishing license while growing up. I just feel like as tight as the restrictions have become in terms of what fisheries are open at what times.. and what the limits are... if we still have a very marginal population of fish, then maybe our current regs. haven't been able to sustain or regrow the earlier populations. Yes, Native netting is a HUGE hit to fish populations, all I am saying is that sometimes you just have to put something down before it is completly gone. It hurts when it is something you love. Is this govt's first step in banning everything wildlife wise? We can only hope not. As Sickbayer said, if it is on the way out, I think that should mean for all groups, Native, recreational, commercial, etc.
Chris, I think you're onto something here. I completely agree that something has to be done. Am I suggesting that banning all recreational fishing is the perfect solution? Not necessarily, but do I think something drastic has to change? Absolutely. Whether that's restricting commercial, native, recreational, or perhaps a bigger push on limiting industralization around certain grounds or even a big push towards restoring habitat, a lot of our waters just around WA are definitely on the downfall and continuing. Supplementing the rivers and lakes with hatchery fish doesn't make for a sustainable fishery, often time it causes more problems. Whether you'd admit it or not, our fisheries are definitely suffering. As much as I love and have a passion for fishing, sometimes I do wonder when the time will be that I have to put my rod down and let things recover. That is not to say simply shutting down recreational fishing will do the job, there are millions of other factors to be concerned about...but I think there are many other things that start with our direct impact to our waters. Starting with our responsibility in preserving our natural resources. Logging and building dam after dam takes a toll on our natural habitat, you see it in our local waters. Even our local waters such as the historically famous Deer Creek has had a detrimental effect from logging. What historical steelhead river we read about in books and movies is now left with a dwindling steelhead run that is dieing by the minute, if not too far gone now to repair.

The problem isn't unique to Puget Sound. It is on an national, even international level. We as fishermen continue to moan and complain about not catching fish, but how do you catch fish when they're not there? We're heading towards that direction sooner or later unless something is done.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Nobody sensible will disagree with the existance of a problem. That said though, pollution, commercial (to include Indian netting) and destruction of habitat are the big killers.

So, who's got an address and a form letter for us to send to the appropriate beurocrat(s)?
Lee

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:25 pm

ckim85 wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:
Chris, I think you're onto something here. I completely agree that something has to be done. Am I suggesting that banning all recreational fishing is the perfect solution? Not necessarily, but do I think something drastic has to change? Absolutely. Whether that's restricting commercial, native, recreational, or perhaps a bigger push on limiting industralization around certain grounds or even a big push towards restoring habitat, a lot of our waters just around WA are definitely on the downfall and continuing. Supplementing the rivers and lakes with hatchery fish doesn't make for a sustainable fishery, often time it causes more problems. Whether you'd admit it or not, our fisheries are definitely suffering. As much as I love and have a passion for fishing, sometimes I do wonder when the time will be that I have to put my rod down and let things recover. That is not to say simply shutting down recreational fishing will do the job, there are millions of other factors to be concerned about...but I think there are many other things that start with our direct impact to our waters. Starting with our responsibility in preserving our natural resources. Logging and building dam after dam takes a toll on our natural habitat, you see it in our local waters. Even our local waters such as the historically famous Deer Creek has had a detrimental effect from logging. What historical steelhead river we read about in books and movies is now left with a dwindling steelhead run that is dieing by the minute, if not too far gone now to repair.

The problem isn't unique to Puget Sound. It is on an national, even international level. We as fishermen continue to moan and complain about not catching fish, but how do you catch fish when they're not there? We're heading towards that direction sooner or later unless something is done.
Guys, NOBODY here is complaining about using the valid science of Wildlife and Environmental management to protect the fisheries. Yes, we all as fishermen are concerned about the state of the fisheries in the sound. There's more that could and should be done (slot limits for Salmon to ensure that the genes of larger fish are propagated for example). What we are complaining about is this administration moving forward with no to little input and disregarding any science of management to appease those who put them in office. There's little to no regard in this administration to States rights when it comes to it's policies. And this IS a Washington State issue. After all, it's Washington State that is allowing gill-netting on the rivers, depletion of resources by the tribal commercial fishermen. Washington State (meaning you and me) need to stand up to the bureaucrats on this and make them make the right decisions.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:41 pm

Right-wing media eagerly spread absurd claim that Obama plans to "ban sport fishing"

http://mediamatters.org/research/201003100014