I'M GETTING PISSED!!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Silent Angler
Petty Officer

RE:I'M GETTING PISSED!!

Post by Silent Angler » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:35 am

bassackwards and the posse,

i learned how to bassin on potomac river maryland/virginia. it is where i caught my biggest bass i ever have, it is shown on my avatar. anyway i moved to washington state last year. i decided to choose st clair lake as my new home lake( there are many local lakes to choose from). i felt the same way you did because i could not even land a decent keeper for several months. i got berserked by catching too many dinks because i was mainly fishing the "finesse" stuff. i must admit that it took me a year to get my fishing confidence back...

i did learn a great deal of bass fishing since i moved here and i have to say that i disagree some guys said that you mainly need to downsize and think "finesse" when you fish here in washington state. you see, every body of water are different...even if they are few miles apart.

for example, my home lakes are st clair lake and chambers lake. they are both my local lakes because they are both only 5 minutes drive away from my house in olympia. truthfully they are both totally different so my fishing tactics differ for every lake.

st clair lake have the deepest pool at 120 feet something. when the deeper the water is usually clearer, you might start thinking about "finesse" stuff. you may want to go ahead have a nice "finesse" attitude but i did better with an ultra fast moving lures like a 1/2 oz. tandem willows spinnerbait. you gotta make sure your spinnerbait moving fast such as "waking" it or just do not sink it more than 12 inches (it may vary at times) from the surface if the water is clear because you do not want your fish to take a good look at your "fake" lure. you'd be surprised how subtle the change you make and it would make the difference in your world!

chambers lake have the deepest pool at 10 feet which is weed choke and the water is mostly heavily stained or murky. you naturally start thinking about a bulkier, noiser, slow-moving lure. i did well with a jig, flipping it in or around the heavy vegetation. there are many ways to catch them, really.

please note that the pond fishing is the whole different ball game because the bass are very spooky so use your common sense to turn yourself into a bass-catching machine!!!

tight lines

SA
Fishing is the life.

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:42 am

Hey Max I'm on the east side too in Pullman an hour and a half from you. If you are willing to make the drive you should try out the snake river. There are a lot of bass there and depending on where you fish and the day they'll bite different things so you should bring some grubs, a few fish lures and some worms. But I've been to the snake at least once a week and fish from the shore and have only not caught anything once and that was because it was smoking hot out and all the fish went really deep.

kickerfish
Petty Officer

Post by kickerfish » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:20 am

One thing you should check is the test in your line, I would recommend 6 to 8 lb test flourocarbon or mono. Many do not change out that bulky 14-16lb test. Also I guarantee you will catch a bass if you use a Zoom pumpkin green finesse worm texas rigged with a 3/16oz weight. When the bite is tough and I want to not get skunked I throw that one and always catch a fish or three. Mostly they are of the small variety but occasionally a nice three pounder will inhale it. Just fish it along the weed edges and pockets in the grass. Let it sit and shake it occasionally. If you do not get a bite in @60-90 seconds reel in and pick a new target.

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:54 pm

Everyone has their own opinions on line, but I would say if you are bass fishing with 6 lb test you are asking for trouble. It's not going to come into play very often, but if it does and you lose that dream bass, you're going to hate yourself. Twice in 2 years people in the back of my boat fishing with their little trout rods and 6 lb test got their lines snapped and lures lost by big bass. Sure you can adjust the drag, but when that big bass dives right at the boat and your rod doubles completely over, the drag isn't going to work very well. I would say 10 lb line at least. personally I use 12 or 14 lb Trilene XT, 17 lb Vanish, and 20 lb Fireline.

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:22 pm

even though i have 10lb test on my baitcaster and 8lb on my spare spinner spool, I've been enjoying bass fishing with my 4lb test trout line. Usually throw out a rapala with it and catch 6-8" smally dinks, but its loads of fun. I actually landed a 2.5lb and 3.5lb LMB with that as well. This is on clear lake where I figured there wouldn't be that size of bass in it. But I think that has convinced me to switch to my 8 or 10lb line now. Like nik said, I'd hate to snap off a larger fish or a smaller one with more fight that might wrap around weeds or a branch.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:05 am

i think 6lb is plenty to land a bigger fish but the problem with 6lb line for me is the abrasion resistance, hence my step up to 8~10lb line.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:40 pm

I don't know about the 6 lb. line guys....I'm pretty comfortable with my 12 and 17 lb. line. Probably overkill for WA size bass butt....I just hate donating lures to the "Lake gods" everytime I get caught on something.

The 17 lb. line I have loaded on my two casting rods have paid for themselves SEVERAL times. We've all been there. Ya get snagged on something and it's NOT coming lose so the slow tugging and pulling begins. You're just waiting for that dredded "limp line" feeling and another $6 lure GONE.

This may be the reason for my lack of numbers, but I'll take my chances with the heavier line. My spinning gear is set up with 8 lb. flouro. due to the tackle I'm putting on the end of that being so much cheaper.

I appreciate everyones input. VERY helpful.
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!

Edgeran
Petty Officer

Post by Edgeran » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:36 pm

If you ask me, the east side of the state is better...

Edgeran
Petty Officer

Post by Edgeran » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:38 pm

Didn't notice there was 2 pages in this forum, little late on the Eastside being better comment...lo siento

kickerfish
Petty Officer

Post by kickerfish » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:36 pm

I agree with all on the line test choices mentioned above but when I mentioned 6-8 lb test it was to help him get some fish on the rod. I use 6-8lb test only on my finesse spinning rod set up. The set up I mentioned a few posts back will guarantee catching 8-12" bass. 6lb test can handle them. I also have landed many 3lb bass on 6lb test, you just have to remember the size of the line you have and play them differnetly. If you horse them you can kiss that fish goodbye.

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:37 pm

If you are not catching anything, I would sure as heck not go out on washington or sammamish, wait until you figure out what works up here. If you have the time, and need a bass fix, head to eastern washington. The water over there is much better at producing a limit, and the fishing would more closely resemble what you are used to. I just got back from Banks lake and we pulled in about 50 smallies and largemouth in two days of fishing. Or...just like everyone says, slow it down, and work plastics.

Clam Man
Clam Man

"____________"

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:40 pm

I have a little zebco crappie rod with 4lb test on it, I use when I am in small bass. It is a blast to play them in, and I usually have just a grub and hook on there so no big loss if the line parts. Makes it a lot more exciting.

Go Seahawks.
Clam Man

"____________"

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:14 pm

Thanks Clam Man...sweet "handle" and avatar. You ought to go over to the "off topic" section and post how you came up with your name under "What's in a name?".

I may need to sleep with the light on after seeing that Mime dude...three things FREAK me out....

1) Carnies
2) Clowns
3) Mimes

Thanks for the advise. I'd love to hit Eastern soon. In the mean time, I'm gonna practice my "slow, plastic game".

Jon

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:22 pm

bassackwards wrote:
I may need to sleep with the light on after seeing that Mime dude...three things FREAK me out....

1) Carnies
2) Clowns
3) Mimes
Don't ever go to Sarasota, FL, during the winter then. Most of the big carnivals setup winter shop in Sarasota, and the carnies, clowns, and mimes are literally working the street to make extra income. While it never bothered me, you'd probably tweak pretty bad hehe....
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

EdmondsBassMan
Warrant Officer

Post by EdmondsBassMan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:54 am

First let me say welcome and it will get better I can promise you that. I posted a message like yours a couple months ago and since then i have gotten into some decent fish. I second the smaller plastics and defintely be skipping them under the docks! Also I would say fish,fish and fish some more! The more time you spend on the water the better. Sooner or later you will be in the right place at the right time! If you don't have a boat you should think about getting a pontoon they are great and get you to those spots that you drool over from the shoreline. Check craiglist from time to time you may find a good deal on one. Good luck and I'll see you on the water soon:thumright
WORK IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH!

EdmondsBassman AKA Jerz Jay

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:49 am

Nik wrote:Everyone has their own opinions on line, but I would say if you are bass fishing with 6 lb test you are asking for trouble. It's not going to come into play very often, but if it does and you lose that dream bass, you're going to hate yourself. Twice in 2 years people in the back of my boat fishing with their little trout rods and 6 lb test got their lines snapped and lures lost by big bass. Sure you can adjust the drag, but when that big bass dives right at the boat and your rod doubles completely over, the drag isn't going to work very well. I would say 10 lb line at least. personally I use 12 or 14 lb Trilene XT, 17 lb Vanish, and 20 lb Fireline.
If the cover is thick and heavy, using 6# line is asking for trouble indeed.

I let the cover I am facing dictate the line I will use. However, with little to no cover and in clear water, 6# fluorocarbon is an excellent choice. This is my first season ever targetting smallies and 100% of them (from Lake Union) have been caught in rip rap with 6# test. I used the same line in California last month and caught over 20 LM bass in moderate cover. They weighed between 2.5-4.5 lbs.

IMHO 6# fc line with the right bass rod and reel and fishing clear, fairly light to moderate cover is a deadly bass catching combination.

BTW, they were all caught drop shotting. I do have the right rod for the job and I am willing to bet that 6# seaguar invizx probably breaks at 8# (just a guess) so that helps too.
:bball:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:39 pm

Bassackwards, Has your luck changed any? Haven't heard a follow-up.

Have you tried 1/4oz white spinnerbaits or Scumfrogs for your topwater work? No one mentioned this, but have you tried split-shotting, sort of a downsized Carolina-rig. My kids do well with that set-up.

Let us know how it's been for you in the last three weeks.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:01 am

cavdad45 wrote:Bassackwards, Has your luck changed any? Haven't heard a follow-up.

Have you tried 1/4oz white spinnerbaits or Scumfrogs for your topwater work? No one mentioned this, but have you tried split-shotting, sort of a downsized Carolina-rig. My kids do well with that set-up.

Let us know how it's been for you in the last three weeks.
I'm not fishing as much as I'd like (none of us are I'm guessing). I borrowed a friends pontoon boat and have gotten out a few time. I have got into a few fish using SMALL grubs and 4" shakey head worms, Carolina rigged. I haven't had much drop shot luck...I'm going to give Beaver Lake a run this evening. I'm going to drop shot the crap out of it and see what happens.

I just need to fish more in order to catch any fish....pretty simple concept.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm buying a 12' Valco in a month or so, gave up on the whole canoe idea. This will enable me to get out on Lk. Washington and Sammamish a little further.

See you all at the BBQ (6:30 am pontoon launch).

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:06 am

Smart move giving up on the whole canoe thing. It gets pretty tippy since I like to stand most of the time while bass fishing. Good luck at Beaver tonight.