I Am A Beginer, Help Me Out Please.

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
nickbell
Commander

I Am A Beginer, Help Me Out Please.

Post by nickbell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:02 pm

I have a question about attaching my leader to my fly line. Can i tie a perfection loop into the tip of my fly line, then connect the loop on the end of the leader with the fly line? Will tying a perfection loop directly onto the fly line affect the way it preforms at all?

G-Man
Admiral

RE:I Am A Beginer, Help Me Out Please.

Post by G-Man » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:33 pm

I've always just used a nail knot to attach a 1.5' to 2' leader of 15 to 20lb mono and then tie the tippet to that with a blood knot.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:40 pm

nickbell wrote:I have a question about attaching my leader to my fly line. Can i tie a perfection loop into the tip of my fly line, then connect the loop on the end of the leader with the fly line? Will tying a perfection loop directly onto the fly line affect the way it preforms at all?
these days tapered leaders usually come with a premade loops and fly lines have loops as well.

ideally you want to nailknot a piece of 20lb mono to the end of the fly line, then create a perfection loop out of the mono you just created..
with your leader, create a perfection loop...then loop to loop connection...then you can blood knot the tippet at end of leader, or you can do another loop-loop by creating perfection loops are both leader and tippet.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Nail knot, needle knot, or braided loop for the end of the fly line.

Here's a link to an animated how to tie a nail knot site.

http://www.animatedknots.com/nailknot/index.php

Save the link to your favorites as it has all the knots that you need.
Life's short - fish hard!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 pm

No, don't tie a perfection loop on the fly line. Two large knots like that will effect you line handling. Use either the built in loop on the fly line or use a nail knot.
Here is another animation for tying knots.

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Years ago I used to obsess about knots and the connection between the fly line and the leader/tippet. I learned all of the knots and tied them with great skill. I even used to tie my own tapered leaders with various sized of tippet materials in several lengths!!

I now have the majority of my lines with loop ends that work seamlessly with loop end leaders that are readily available. The remaining lines I have attached braided loops to attach leaders.

Unless I am fishing Silver Creek with size 26 PMD's waist deep in weeds/mud with 8X 12' leaders I don't think too much about how the leader is connected as long as it doesn't affect my cast and will survive the fish I am pursuing.

Tight Lines!!

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Ok i know how to do it now. I nail knotted a piece of 10 pound mono. line to my fly line and put a perfection loop on the end of that. Thanks ckim85.

Hank
Petty Officer

Post by Hank » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:41 am

Can you post a picture of your finished product?
Master of Ancient Craft Freemasonry - York Rite
3rd Degree Master Mason
Mark Master
Past Master
Most Excellent Master
Holy Royal Arch
Royal and Select Master/Criptic Mason

LittleTrib
Petty Officer

Post by LittleTrib » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:57 pm

You may want to try something a bit heavier than a piece of 10 lb. mono. It can be hard to cast good loops with a light leader butt section. Try a 30# piece of Maxima UG or Chameleon.

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:16 pm

You definatly want something heavier then 10lb. It messes up your casting as others have said, and it's meant to stay on your line permanantly, and shouldn't need to be removed or break off like I know 10lb will.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”