Big Cougar Killed near Port Ludlow

All things related to hunting.
shawn
Commander

Big Cougar Killed near Port Ludlow

Post by shawn » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Out of my local paper the Kitsap Sun.

PORT LUDLOW

A Washington state Fish and Wildlife agent says a large male cougar believed to have killed a bull on the Olympic Peninsula has been tracked with hounds and fatally shot.

Sgt. Phil Henry said the cougar killed Thursday weighed 155 pounds, ranking it among the biggest he’s seen.

Marilee Liske tells the Peninsula Daily News her husband found the dead Holstein bull when he went to feed the family’s cattle Wednesday morning. She says it had been killed, dragged a ways and buried.

Henry estimates the cougar was 5 years old.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/feb/ ... z0g8IEyHO2
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

spindog
Commander

RE:Big Cougar Killed near Port Ludlow

Post by spindog » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Nice- Lets tree a cat and shoot at it= solution?? Unbeleivable!
Cast first, worry later.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:20 pm

What amazes me is that an animal weighing in at 155 can drag a bull any distance! It is truly a shame that we have encroached upon the wilderness so much so that we feel the need to put down these remarkable animals when they act out of instinct to feed themselves.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:20 pm

I would have shot the cat my self if it was my bull,cow,dog,CHILD! There are thousands of deer and elk the cat could have eaten. When they start on live stock they need to be put down because they will keep on. Thats an easy meal that can't get away. I'm glad it was a bull and not a kid. Stoping the dog hunting for cats was not the answer. Where I live in kitsap I have the kids always keep an eye out for cats and bears. I feel that the wolf should have never be put back in the cascades. They were killed off for a reason. Years down the road we will be looking for them also in our yards.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:34 am

Ok, let me get this straight. This cat should have chased after more difficult and smaller prey, that we are hunting ourselves, instead of wasting less energy for a bigger kill. One shouldn't blame an animal for taking an easy meal when the opportunity presents itself. For those that live were bears and cougars have been sighted or are known to reside, they knew what they were getting into. It the same with folks who live on a flood plain or have beach front property in the South. Do you really think that nature will bend to the human will?

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:26 am

G-Man wrote:Ok, let me get this straight. This cat should have chased after more difficult and smaller prey, that we are hunting ourselves, instead of wasting less energy for a bigger kill. One shouldn't blame an animal for taking an easy meal when the opportunity presents itself. For those that live were bears and cougars have been sighted or are known to reside, they knew what they were getting into. It the same with folks who live on a flood plain or have beach front property in the South. Do you really think that nature will bend to the human will?
Well put G-Man! I'm siding with your angle, it doesn't make sense to blame these animals, its instinctual behavior.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:01 am

I can see your point. Ok your out fishing on any given body of water when a cat jumps from the bank to the deck of your boat and is going after your dog. Will you sit back and say well the cat needs to eat. DOG GONE. Or will you try to stop the cat? It will not be an easy task you your self could become the meal. When all said an done the cat that was eatting your dog was put there by wild life offercers to keep it from eatting others. A bank robber thinks its ok to rob the rich so why do we jail them. Hell some even say they will kill cops and our great system still lets them go. Once the taste of blood of an easy pray is in them they will hunt there every time the cat or bear needs to eat. We all live and play where we can be attact by wild life and eaten. But thats ok they need to eat. An unloaded gun is just a stick?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”