The wait is killing me!

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lotech Joe
Commodore

The wait is killing me!

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:30 pm

The wife and I took a road trip yesterday to help ease the Cabin Fever (Shack-Nasties). We took a trip up to Ponderay Id. and stopped at the KFC for lunch then to Walmart and we bought a bicylce for me. We had to order a bicycle for her online, to be delivered to the Post Falls Walmart. It should get here by the end of the month. I hope I can use my bike to cruise the Centennial Trail in Spokane, searching for good fishing spots. On the way to Ponderay, we stopped by Marshall Lake to see if the ice was breaking up yet. It isn't. The entire lake is still completely frozen over and the road down to the launch was so compacted and iced up, we didn't even go down to the lake. This warmer than usual and wet weather has me chomping at the bit to get started. I know it's only February but this weather is more like the end of March.
Seems like it's time to go fishing. Anyone else struggling as much as me?
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:The wait is killing me!

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:The wife and I took a road trip yesterday to help ease the Cabin Fever (Shack-Nasties). We took a trip up to Ponderay Id. and stopped at the KFC for lunch then to Walmart and we bought a bicylce for me. We had to order a bicycle for her online, to be delivered to the Post Falls Walmart. It should get here by the end of the month. I hope I can use my bike to cruise the Centennial Trail in Spokane, searching for good fishing spots. On the way to Ponderay, we stopped by Marshall Lake to see if the ice was breaking up yet. It isn't. The entire lake is still completely frozen over and the road down to the launch was so compacted and iced up, we didn't even go down to the lake. This warmer than usual and wet weather has me chomping at the bit to get started. I know it's only February but this weather is more like the end of March.
Seems like it's time to go fishing. Anyone else struggling as much as me?
Sorry Joe, :-" Not struggling here on the West side. No ice ever.
But I do feel your pain.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:25 am

Lo, I feel your pain. Not cold enough for ice. Not warm enough for open water. It's killing me - and I just got my flasher (sonar) - just in time for no ice fishing at all.... sigh...

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:50 am

Yea, Im itching to get back into the game. It hasnt driven me to go bike shopping in Idaho, but Im feeling the pain too.:-({|=

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:59 am

No struggling here. Moving water is ice free. Threw dries all day on Sat. to rising trout. Landed a ton with some pushing 20". With the weather pattern that is predicted, this weekend should be banner again!!

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:13 pm

fish4brains wrote:No struggling here. Moving water is ice free. Threw dries all day on Sat. to rising trout. Landed a ton with some pushing 20". With the weather pattern that is predicted, this weekend should be banner again!!
Are you fishing the Spokane or somewhere else. You can PM me if you like.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:53 pm

I have been fishing but I would like some catching.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:32 pm

the west here is nice and warm :) Days liek today I'd liek to be out on the water. I've heard the lakes around here have been quite productive. Friend of mine went to Pass Lake and had a blast catching lots of rainbows and browns. I need to stop working and fish more...

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm with you, Joe! I stretched a couple lines today, replaced some leaders and stuffed a couple boxes with various chironomid and nymph patterns. Just 2 weeks until Amber, Medical and Coffeepot open. I'm stoked about this year's mild winter and relative lack of ice. The past two years I couldn't launch on Amber until the 16th and 25th. That won't happen this year. March 1, it's on! I've got a dental appt tomorrow but am thinking about trying Sprague on Thursday. One of my partners referred to it last year as "my new favorite" lake because he had so much action there. 4-5 years ago I'd got to Fourth of July, near Sprague, and knock them silly in February. Good luck to all...see you soon.

-Raff

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:52 pm

I've been fishing the Yakima a couple times and'm heading over to the Methow this weekend. Although, April needs to get here faster for some Columbia Carp action. Reading articles and tying Carp flies makes the wait even more unbearble.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Yeah it's nice and warm for mid February here on the westside like ckim said, glad it doesn't ice over here really haha. Went yesterday to the lake my dad and I fished last week and caught 6 trout, largest being around 19" and the smallest around 15". Lost a couple due to the trout seeming to just want to nibble at the bait instead of just going crazy after it, most of the fish we have to wait the 2nd or 3rd time for the trout to come back and get the bait. Sure was windy though on the lake yesterday.

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Toni wrote:I have been fishing but I would like some catching.
I heard that toni!:fish: :fish: :scratch: :scratch:[cursing]
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 pm

SAPIplate wrote:I've been fishing the Yakima a couple times and'm heading over to the Methow this weekend. Although, April needs to get here faster for some Columbia Carp action. Reading articles and tying Carp flies makes the wait even more unbearble.
good luck on the methow. we skunked a couple weeks ago but this week's weather might be a bit better.

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:56 pm

I hope so. I haven't hooked anything with fins since December.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:30 pm

i guess we will have to get on the wallace then SAPI. go down to cabin.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”