Riffe this weekend?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
danielt
Commander

RE:Riffe this weekend?

Post by danielt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:59 pm

Fish the qualifiers....Its the federation not FLW (but they are affiliated)

Basically its really cheap to enter and a great way to learn a bunch of lakes you have never fished from some of washington's best boaters. They are draw tourneys so you have to enter with a person that has a boat but when you fish you have a different boater every time. there are only 3 tournament (1 every month) and they are only one day each. IF you do well and make the 12 man team then you can move on to divisional BUT all the anglers are fishing against each other (no points difference between boaters and non boaters). So basically as a non boater its not very likely you will be at the top but like I said its a good experience. Read more here http://www.wabass.org/

Also this year if you enter AND fish all three you have a chance you win a 18ft ranger. I dont know if they will do that again next year be regardless Ill be fishing them again if I get the chance. Hope to see you out there.

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:04 am

thanks a lot daniel, it sounds like something i'd be very interested in. my parents and i both like the cheap part :colors:

Silent Angler
Petty Officer

Post by Silent Angler » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:56 am

sorry for the late response...i went to riffe a couple of weeks ago. i arrived the mossyrock state park around 5:45am and discovered that the gate was closed until 8am. i was totally pissed off but i made best out of this situation by driving back to mayfield lake. since i brought few musky stuff so i was lucky and able to fish for the musky until 9am. i didn't hook up anything but i saw 4 musky in the shallow weed area. two of them were very huge...oh sweet jesus.

i went back to riffe lake and fish for a couple of hours because i had to get back by noon and I caught two nice smallies...both were about 1 and half lbs. i used the 3/32 oz. picasso: clausen's jighead with my favorite zoom green pumpkin trick worm.

i only fished around the westside of lake and i didn't managed to find any weed or anything so i changed my game plan by looking for woods, rocks or submerged boulders in the creeks, secondary points and main points . i am now guessing that the weed only grow in the eastside of lake.

and by the way, i just joined a bass fishing club in olympia and we will have a tournament this weekend. i hope i will be able to share a good story with you guys next week.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing is the life.

Silent Angler
Petty Officer

Post by Silent Angler » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:31 pm

hey guys,

if you are curious how i did a couple of weeks ago...i was placed 4th or 5th place out of 12 boaters. on my first day i only caught two smallmouth bass and the zoom trick worm with the picasso jighead was the ticket. on my second day, i did better with a drop shot set up and caught all the five keepers. on the both days, i did release more than 20+ dinks...kinda fun but frustrating at times. the water was super clear and i really enjoyed my time on the water. two thumbs up for riffe lake!

thanks ck14 for some tips ,even though, i wasted few hours fishing the hula grub without a bite on my first day.

cheers,

s.a.
Fishing is the life.

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:06 pm

i don't know but the hula grub sure worked for me, maybe it needed to be on a slider head :-k

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 pm

CK,

Wear clean underwear....donate a lure to the fish gods as soon as you shove off....throw on your WL.com swag and don't forget to yell BOOYAH (with a southern accent) when you pull that award winning beauty in your boat.

Good luck buddy! I'm jealous. I'll be entertaining in-laws all weekend :thumbdown

Bassackwards
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!

Silent Angler
Petty Officer

Post by Silent Angler » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:26 pm

CK

i was throwing the hula grub with 1/2 oz football jighead. i was mainly crawling it around the rocks slowly....i gave it a good pump once in a while. i am not sure if the slider head will make the difference...say what ounces you were throwing? as for my drop shot set up, i got more bites with 3/16 oz. drop shot than i did with 1/4 oz. drop shot ballhead because i realized that the smallies bite better when the lure is descending faster at this point.

SA

SA
Fishing is the life.

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 pm

i was using 1/8oz, so maybe the weight did make a difference...

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:34 pm

Silent Angler wrote:CK

i was throwing the hula grub with 1/2 oz football jighead. i was mainly crawling it around the rocks slowly....i gave it a good pump once in a while. i am not sure if the slider head will make the difference...say what ounces you were throwing? as for my drop shot set up, i got more bites with 3/16 oz. drop shot than i did with 1/4 oz. drop shot ballhead because i realized that the smallies bite better when the lure is descending faster at this point.

SA

SA
If youre not getting bit on a slow crawl, try a pause, pop-pop-pop, pause type retrieve. I get hit on the pause or right after I move it after a pause, but I like doing that a lot more than crawling them. Crawling them makes me want to punch myself in the face.

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:50 pm

riffe in general makes you want to punch yourself in the face #-o

fishing 9 hours with only one keeper....yeah that's fun #-o

#-o #-o #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.