De-snagging yourself

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Splitshot
Warrant Officer

De-snagging yourself

Post by Splitshot » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 pm

The other day I got snagged pretty good. I coudn't walk downriver because I was between the bank and a dropoff. I had recently read in a book a way to unsnag. It took me a minute, but I remembered what it was. I opened my bail and let the line drift until it was about 50' downstream of the snag and then lowered the rod tip and gave a tug and reeled. The lure came free! I think it was wedged between some rocks.

I got snagged again today and tried the same thing. It worked again! I brought up a piece of wood, must have been a log.

This might be old news for some, but I'm happy as heck. If I save 3 more lures, the book will have payed for itself:study:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott080379
Commodore

RE:De-snagging yourself

Post by scott080379 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:02 pm

this works great unless you are on the river with a few others and then they snag your line because you are worried about a 3 to 5 dollar lure.

Not saying they are cheap and they do add.

Thanks for the post and the info.

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Thanks, nice piece of intel splitshot. It might be kinda tough if there's other anglers in the near vicinity, but nonetheless, it sounds like a good method. I'll have to remember that one. Thanks again and good luck!
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:16 pm

I won't bring this up again, but today I was just amazed at this technique. Five times today I got snagged pretty good. Each time I got it loose with this method. Not only did it save me about $20 worth of lures, but I got right back to fishing without having to rig more tackle.

I haven't tried it with a trebble hook.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Thanks for the tip, will try it out.
"One more......."

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Splitshot wrote: I won't bring this up again, but today I was just amazed at this technique. Five times today I got snagged pretty good. Each time I got it loose with this method. Not only did it save me about $20 worth of lures, but I got right back to fishing without having to rig more tackle.

I haven't tried it with a trebble hook.
Tried it with a treble on a spoon. Doesn't seem to work quite as well with the extra hooks. Got the gear back though. Had to wade out a little bit and retrieve manually though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Yeah, I found so far while drift fishing it seems to work a little less than 50% of the time. But when it does work I get right back to fishing.

Keep trying it Slayer, I'm curious if it works for you.

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Yah it works pretty good for the most part even on really snaggy rivers (cowlitz, puyallup, etc.) but not all the time. It's tough when there's others fishing in close proximity.

Slick_Rick
Petty Officer

Post by Slick_Rick » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:59 pm

You can always get in touch w/me and we can split the gear up from your favorite snag pile,either way they will disappear!
"If your not fishing your not catching"

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:59 am

hey splitshot thanks for that info, went to the sky the other day throwing some bc spoons and every time i got hung up i let out sum line and whammo got my gear back u saved me alot a money bro:salut:
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks. I have never tried this method, but I will certainly remember it next time. You are right the cost of lost gear does add up. Also I hate taking time putting on more gear when I could be fishing. That is one of the reasons, I have started traveling with a couple of poles. So one is always ready to go.

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:53 am

Credti goes to Jed Davis: Spinner Fishing For Steelhead, Salmon and Trout

Page 36 "It will be as if you rowed over to the snag , and got behind it to free the lure"