I'M GETTING PISSED!!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bassackwards
Commander

I'M GETTING PISSED!!

Post by bassackwards » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:11 pm

Alright guys...I need you all to talk me out of selling all my gear and buying a friggin bowling ball. I've been in Washington 8 months now (only 10 "good" days of actual fishing) and I haven't landed ONE STINKIN BASS??? What am I doing wrong, besides not fishing enough???

Granted, I haven't hit Lk. Wash. or Samm. in a boat. I've mainly hit the small local ponds / lakes near my house due to the convienence (after work, before work, etc.).

I spent about 2 hours yesterday at Yellow Lake (Klahanie), I threw everything at 'em. Seems everytime I go out, I either am out at the wrong time, have the wrong set-up (spinning vs. casting) or a number of other reasons.

Maybe I just need a Nascar hug or something, but MAN, I sick and tired of seeing all your pictures and reports on here and I got NOTHIN....

Thanks guys....anyone know a good bowling website???
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!

iPodrodder
Commodore

RE:I'M GETTING PISSED!!

Post by iPodrodder » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:22 pm

Are you from down south? If you are, try smaller baits, and fishing slower. I suggest going to Beaver Lake shore, park side, (near Yellow Lake) with some Zoom lizards, and fishing openings in the pads. Let the lizard sink to the bottom, then give two or three small twitches, let sink, and repeat. You won't get many big bass, but you'll get at least one stinking bass.

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:41 pm

this time of the year there really isn't a "wrong" time, although very early morning or right after sunset are the most productive. you should be able to catch bass all day. also, although some setups are best suited for certain situations for sure, i can't imagine that having the wrong type of reel would be actually preventing you from catching a single bass, so i wouldn't worry about that either. if you devote one early morning and get out before the sun comes up, and focus on topwater fishing some nice weed patches, you will get bit. just remember to let them eat the bait before you set the hook. if the weeds are really thick, you can probably get bites on topwater just about all day.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:52 pm

most the small ponds in this lake have healthy bass populations....

I would agree with ipodrodder on the bait size thing...

probably need to go smaller... use maybe a 2" grub rigged texas style to
start and then work you way up from there... also so get some senkos... the
smallest ones available...

if they ain't hitting senkos there probably arn't any bass in the lake...
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:05 pm

I'm new to bass and I have never caught a real huge one or anything but I always catch about 10 bass with my rebel grasshopper each time I go. Just toss that lure near rocks/logs/pads and let it sit there and twitch it every few minutes and you should get a few bites. I know some people hate the rebel grasshopper but it works well for me when I can't catch with anything else.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:01 pm

PAGING DR. BASS ,PAGING DR. BASS !! THERE IS A PATIENT IN E.R. NEEDING BASS ASAP ..QUICK DOC WE ARE ABOUT TO FLATLINE HERE IF THIS GUY DOESNT GET BASS ..LOL .. just kidding bud .. first of all , the most important two things i got from your thread is that your new to the state and your throwing everything in your tackle box .. well my first suggestion to you, which is a tuff pill to swallow , "FORGET THE WAY YOU BASS FISHED BEFORE YOU GOT HERE" .. not sure where your from but the bass here on this side of the state require a different style of bassin .. "You must become a finesse fisherman" , those big baits arent going to get alot of action in these waters .. you now must learn more about Drop shotting, Carolina rigs , Texas rigs , with small plastics .. the key word here is "SMALL" plastics... 5" inchs max: on worms , lizards , creature baits , etc ...i find that alot of the bass here like to hang out around docks and in the summer lilly pads .. look for shallow water near deeper waters "drop offs"...and i cant stress enough to fish "sllllooooowwwllly" ...in some cases even "deadsticking" ..once you change up your style and start throwing more plastics you will have success ... these guys are right as far as this time year being tuff "Dog days of summer" so dont be discourage so quickly ..soo to end this ill say : TAKE TWO SENKO'S AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING , YOUR GOING TO MAKE IT THROUGH THIS !!! ..BBD :-k
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:32 pm

3" senkos, 3~4" grubs, 4" lizards. Toss em every which way. If you cant catch fish on these, then let me know when you're going bowling ;).
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:33 pm

Thanks guys...that helps a lot. I grew up bass fishing in So. Cal. (spinner bait, crank bait, bam, bam, bam). Like I've said previously, not a real knowledgable solf plastic guy.

Most of my adult years I spent in Texas and Oklahoma, again, lots of topwater action.

I've got plenty of senkos and worms, I just need to PRACTICE and SLOOOOOOOW Down a bit.

"I think I feel a pulse again"

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:48 pm

bassackwards wrote:Thanks guys...that helps a lot. I grew up bass fishing in So. Cal. (spinner bait, crank bait, bam, bam, bam). Like I've said previously, not a real knowledgable solf plastic guy.

Most of my adult years I spent in Texas and Oklahoma, again, lots of topwater action.

I've got plenty of senkos and worms, I just need to PRACTICE and SLOOOOOOOW Down a bit.

"I think I feel a pulse again"
RIGHT ON DUDE ! PLEASE DONT EVER SCARE US LIKE THAT AGAIN ! THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO EVER STOP BASSIN .. there is a basspro out there and i cant recall his name at this moment , but this guy doesnt have any legs and only half of his arms .. he cast with and holds his pole with his neck .. i have watch this guy fish (IT'S THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER WATCHED) The only time he needs assitance is just to land his fish .. so i say that to say never give up , just focus on getting better !! BBD
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:01 pm

if you want to keep the chucking and winding, try downsizing your spinnerbaits, to something like one of those strike king mini-kings, or even a in-line spinner like a roostertail. Cant help you with the cranks - Ive very little confidence in those other than jerkbaits even though I do ok with them for some reason.

That guy is prob Clay Dyer
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quickfish12
Petty Officer

Post by quickfish12 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:04 pm

I have alot of luke with Zoom superflukes...... my favorite soft plastic.

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:04 pm

You should be able to do pretty well this time of year with shallow-running cranks near wood. I usually do pretty well with a Timber-tiger bouncing it off of any submerged wood I can find. I agree with the earlier post about trying Beaver lake. While you don't always catch large fish, rarley have I been skunked there. I have even had some of the Beaver Lake triploid trout hit Senkos fished on a jig head or worked like a soft jerk bait. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:34 pm

Will do. I DO need to downsize to smaller spinners and buzz baits. I'm going to hit Pine Lake tomorrow morning EARLY, EARLY...

I'm also gonna try "dead-sticking" with some small grubs and senkos, maybe a twitch or two.

I was starting to think you guys bought those bass in your pictures or you all got together and passed around the same one.

Thanks for the info, I'll stop whining now and start fishing SLOOOOOOOWER. :-({|=

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:51 am

It's probably your gear. I'd be happy to pick it up and properly dispose of it for you. o:)

Or, like the others have said, you could try the smaller plastics and slow down... that's what worked for me.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:18 am

Bass will hit a lot of different lures with reckless abandon but the most fun way is to catch them is on top water. I have caught thousands of bass fishing an original floating Rapala. These lures are made of balsa wood and float differently than top water plugs made of plastic. Casting accuracy is important. In clear water make longer casts so the fish see the lure before they see you. Cast your lure close to old logs, docks, openings in pad fields and any other shoreline cover where Mr Bass could be waiting in ambush. Let your plug sit still for a few seconds until the splash down rings disapate. Then twitch it gently with the rod tip -- not by reeling. When that water explodes it is truly an exciting moment. Real big bass usually don't explode on that lure -- Usually there is just a big swirl under your lure -- set the hook. I know you have probably read that wait until you feel the fish -- Baloney! If you do that you will miss a lot of fish. I set the hook imediately and 99 percent of the time the hooks are in his mouth. Plastics are great but for pure excitement go top water.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:02 am

Bass Tracker wrote:Bass will hit a lot of different lures with reckless abandon but the most fun way is to catch them is on top water. I have caught thousands of bass fishing an original floating Rapala. These lures are made of balsa wood and float differently than top water plugs made of plastic. Casting accuracy is important. In clear water make longer casts so the fish see the lure before they see you. Cast your lure close to old logs, docks, openings in pad fields and any other shoreline cover where Mr Bass could be waiting in ambush. Let your plug sit still for a few seconds until the splash down rings disapate. Then twitch it gently with the rod tip -- not by reeling. When that water explodes it is truly an exciting moment. Real big bass usually don't explode on that lure -- Usually there is just a big swirl under your lure -- set the hook. I know you have probably read that wait until you feel the fish -- Baloney! If you do that you will miss a lot of fish. I set the hook imediately and 99 percent of the time the hooks are in his mouth. Plastics are great but for pure excitement go top water.
I agree. My whole life I've fished topwater for that reason. California, Texas and Oklahoma it's common practice. I've employed those same techniques up here, but haven't had the success. I'm gonna try the worm / grub advice, but at the same time keeping with what has worked for me in the past. I think we all agree, the topwater explosion is what we live for.

Thanks for the advise. I'll keep ya posted.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:38 am

but if he's having trouble catching any bass at all, i wouldnt go trying for the topwater bite.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:03 pm

Throw 5" Senkos, similar stick baits, or lizards t-rigged weightless, into heavy cover. I fish from shore and rarely get skunked. I do better from shore than in the boat sometimes because I am forced to work a limited area and go slow. I have been getting great top water action from frogs. I'm no expert but I catch 'em. Match the hatch, I pick pumpkin or pumpkinseed colors.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

MaxExp82
Petty Officer

Post by MaxExp82 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:24 pm

Im right there with ya, Im new to bass fishing, started about the middle od june this year, been fishing ALOT, and learning alot, but i have managed to boat/land 2 small bass all summer. Im super frusterated. Most of you seem to be on the west side of the state....not sure what i can do over here on the east side....

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:11 pm

MaxExp82 wrote:Im right there with ya, Im new to bass fishing, started about the middle od june this year, been fishing ALOT, and learning alot, but i have managed to boat/land 2 small bass all summer. Im super frusterated. Most of you seem to be on the west side of the state....not sure what i can do over here on the east side....
I fish the Eastside exclusively and have caught bass in 11 lakes in 4 counties this year. If you have a boat, go out and spend one day on Long Lake. You could probably throw your underwear on a hook out there and catch smallmouth all day. A truly fun lake to fish if you're looking for numbers and thus confidence building. Always a chance you could hook a big largemouth out there too.

Also on the topwater subject, I agree that there is a time to set the hook immediately and a time to wait. I would say, <splash> = smaller fish, give it a second to get the bait all the way in it's mouth, where <swirl> = big bass, he probably slurped your whole bait instantly. set the hook! There will be times when a big bass will explode on your bait, but you will know because it looks and sounds like a shark attack.