Hows The Winter Fishing???

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
felts_jf
Warrant Officer

Hows The Winter Fishing???

Post by felts_jf » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:12 am

I'm deployed right now and will be back in September as alot of you know. I'm new to the WA area for fishing and have only ever Bass, Panfish, and catfished before in my life. It is also to my understanding that you can only fish on certain bodies of water during the winter. Here is my dilema, I am trying to decide wether I should go ahead and buy a boat for the winter or just wait until later on during the winter and be ready for next season of freshwater fishing. I know American lake is open year around and I think Clear lake, not sure about all the other ones so I thought maybe yall would have some info for me on to buy when asap or just wait it out and be ready for spring time.

Thanks
Jason :-k
The boat doesnt catch fish it's the person. Rippin Lips

juiced67
Petty Officer

RE:Hows The Winter Fishing???

Post by juiced67 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:20 pm

buy some waders and hit up a river

Bill G
Petty Officer

Post by Bill G » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:32 pm

Like juiced67 suggested, alot of people fish the rivers here in the Fall and Winter. The lake waters get pretty cold so the fishing slows down alot and most people don't lake fish through the winter although some hardy souls do. You can spend the winter looking for that boat you want and that way you can take your time and find what you really want. Rosann G
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:48 pm

Save up some more money and wait until Spring.
The lakes are pretty miserable during the winter (the ones you can fish) and fishing can be really slow.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:03 pm

If you just want to bass, catfish, and panfish then wait till spring...

but if you want to pick up a little larger boat and learn how to work for blackmouth and feeder silvers out in the sound then you might want to get the boat in september...... and, besides, if you get back in september there is lots of good bass, catfish, and panfish fishing here in october.. it tends to slow down a bit in november... but that's when the chums hit hood canal and a couple of trips to hoodsport to catch some 15 to 25 pound chums might make you feel like you're glad you didn't wait...
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:26 pm

I'm waiting for you. the tub runs all winter. If your back in Sept we have salmon on the sno.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:02 am

I've heard you can still catch smallies at Lake Washington in the winter. You need to go deeper and slower. I put my boat up in mid October last year. I'm going to keep it out a little longer this year.

quickfish12
Petty Officer

Post by quickfish12 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:48 am

Members of my club have caught some great smallmouth in late december and on. You just have to tough it out.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:48 am

Yup if youre willing to work for it bass is still viable in the winter.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 pm

There are quite a few ice fishing spots in the state. Potholes area has decent walleye and trout action all winter. But Rufus Woods is one of a kind. I have yet to fish it but this year is the year. This is where the state record rainbow was caught and it doesnt take much to go out and catch 2 trout that range between 6lb - 15lb

Jim Ramey
Angler

Post by Jim Ramey » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:28 am

We have had some success catching trout in American Lake in the dark of winter. Minimum high power skiers and such racing around. Had one of those red letter days last December dragging a brass spoon up from deep to shallow just off the lake side south end of the little island by the active duty camp ground. Really enjoyable to be in the right spot at the right time when nearly every cast hooks up. Anchored fifty feet or so out. Trolling S curves over by the VA hospital thirty to fourty feet deep also paid off.

Whether winter lake expediations are boat rides or fishing trips is best determined by hindsight. Just like any other time of the year. In a word persistance. Read a book once. Said best way to catch fish get to some water and get your hook wet. Wouldn't wait for better times or better deals. Dress to keep warm and dry. Layer up.

Before opening day saw a boat load of soldiers out fishing Mayfield lake. It was AFCEE's ? sporting equipment bought by a kind of tax at the on base or post Exchange. Apparently active duty can sign up and borrow from a warehouse all sorts of gear; including a boat and trailer. Was a nice looking about 16 foot aluminum open skiff with about thirty horse kicker.

Offut in Thurston county, Spencer in Mason county, Sawyer in King county, Alder dam plenty of winter lake fishing, not too far from Pierce county's military complex. People buy and sell boats all the time. Get one if it doesn't suit sell or trade it for one that does.

Best wishes,
Jim Ramey

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Another lake that I forgot to mention is spanaway. Its pretty close to where you will be. There is a bunch of pictures in the rental boat shack of big trout being caught in dec. and jan. All they use is powerbait. Also beaver lake is pretty productive all winter

bass-master
Angler

Post by bass-master » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:16 pm

kzoo wrote:I've heard you can still catch smallies at Lake Washington in the winter. You need to go deeper and slower. I put my boat up in mid October last year. I'm going to keep it out a little longer this year.
i know a few people, you can, im going to attempt when the horrible winter comes, drop shot rig, make it stay in one spot for a long time, or t-rig worked SLOW i like robo worms

Bill G
Petty Officer

Post by Bill G » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:21 pm

The thing you have to realize and be willing to put up with here is the rain. My husband hated it here when he was stationed here, he said all it did was rain. When he got out of the Air Force we moved back to Texas where he was from and after a year he realized that this was God's country and we came back here. If you live here long enough you get used to the rain and realize that you go outside and do things anyway. We have rain gear and stay fishing alot of times when it starts raining. We actually don't fish that much in the winter though since Bill goes duck hunting instead. We met some guys at the Tapps launch last Saturday that were from Fort Lewis and had a boat from the base too so I was going to tell you about that too. You could do that this Fall when you get back and then look for a boat to buy all winter. Let Bill and me know when you get back and we'll try to hook up to take you fishing on Tapps. Thank you for what you are doing! Rosann G
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.

felts_jf
Warrant Officer

Post by felts_jf » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:23 pm

Yeah we rented a bout last year to go on American Lake. I feel the same way about WA to and I cant wait to move back to Kentucky. That sounds good I should be home around the middle of September. Thanks again.

Jason
The boat doesnt catch fish it's the person. Rippin Lips

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:26 pm

kzoo wrote:I've heard you can still catch smallies at Lake Washington in the winter. You need to go deeper and slower.
yep, i know quite a few guys that do decent during the winter. i've heard a good set up is a heavy football head grub or tube slowly dragged across the bottom. 50' is a good depth i think...

i'm definitely gonna try it more this year.