float vs tradiontional drift fishing

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
driftercn83
Petty Officer

float vs tradiontional drift fishing

Post by driftercn83 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:20 am

Okay I see alot of ya talking about float fishing for steelhead for fish after dec. Is there any specific reason why float fishing seems to out fish traditional drift fishing after the christmas season mainly these b run and late fish? I mean I still hook my fair share never been all that good with the jig and float rigs I mean it took me a while to dial in my drift fishing and now that I its dialed in I can be consitant. so lets hear from yall who float fish and all of you that traditional fish for steel head. let also keep this thread free of attacking people which I do see alot of we are all here to learn and teach :cheers:
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

ckim85
Commander

RE:float vs tradiontional drift fishing

Post by ckim85 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:14 pm

since when do people attack eachother for float fishing? I know this is a common debate amongst fly fisherman with nymphing with indicators as opposed to swinging wet flies, but I've never heard anyone get criticized for float/jig fishing with gear.

In fly fishing, nymphing with an indicator (which many would argue is similar to bobber/jig fishing) is that you want to get the jig or nymph down to the bottom as fast as possible and keep it down there since the steelhead tend to hug the bottom during the colder season and not really expend energy by moving. with bobbers and jigs, one can control how deep the jig is (get it close to the bottom) and depending on the water, can be more effective than drifting a corkie/yarn which often can drift by in a fast manner without getting the corkie/yarn deep enough to entice the steelhead to bite.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

driftercn83
Petty Officer

Post by driftercn83 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:19 pm

for clarification please read this When I say attack I mean like some one saying plunking is for lazy people thats a good example lets not get away from the original question
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Floating a Jig from a bobber gives a more "natural" presentation according to the guides and pros that gave presentations at the Steelhead University seminar.

It also seems that it would be easier for the fish to get - steady moving object suspended 6" from the bottom instead of a bouncing object moving at slightly varying speeds depending on bottom conditions.
Lee

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:26 pm

I believe the main reason it is thought of as being more productive is that even a novice can tell when a fish has taken the "bait" so to speak. With drift fishing, the take is usually subtle and takes some getting used to. Jig and bobber fishing also allows you to bank fish water that you would not otherwise be able to target while drift fishing. Pocket water, the opposite side of rocks and logs etc. are all easier to fish with a bobber setup. Another factor is loss of gear. With drift fishing, one tends to hang up and break off gear regularly, this results in lost fishing time while re-tying and re-baiting.

I like the feel of drift fishing, especially with old school pencil lead. There's something therapeutic about the tap, tap, tap you get during the drift and forming a visual of the bottom through it's interpretation. I truly believe that drift fishing will make you a better all around fisherman, just like throwing plastics for bass will as well. These techniques will teach you to use your sense of feel as well as sight and require that you be more observant to what is going on with your rod and line.

Do what you feel works best for you, master it, branch out and repeat. That is what being a true fishing junkie is all about.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:30 pm

edit: resolved via PM with driftercn83.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:20 pm

My take on float vs. drift is partly current. I would use a float is an area that was a little to slow to drift but still holding areas. I haven’t caught any steelhead or salmon on a float/jig. Another reason to use the float/jig is when you are losing too many drift rigs.
I have read about using a float with a drift rig but haven’t seen an image of it. I have found this idea intriguing but without a visual I don’t quite know how to achieve it.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I choose to fish floats primarily because i hate to waste time tying tackle. I catch fish with both methods, but there is something really satisfying when you get that "one" perfect drift/presentation and that bobber dissapears!!!!!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:21 pm

I usually drift fish only but will use a jig and bobber at times. If your snagging up alot use one of 2 options. use surgical tubing off a swivel of longer length then your lead inside that, or what I use slinkies. I get hung up less then a hand full of times in a 12-18 hour fishing trip. (I usually fish all night and then most of the next day.) Ive not made my own yet but they seem really easy. They are a lil spendy at around 2-3 dollars for 2 weights. but really its kinda worth it. OHHHH the handfull of hang ups. I usually get off with a quick lil pop of the rod similar to a hookset.
More fish please!

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Really what it all boils down to is what type of water you are fishing judges what you use, not what time of season it is. If you are talking about after christmas fish, you are generally talking about natives. Natives are more agressive when it comes to reaction, which is why I prefer to drift fish for natives, reaction bites. I do float for them to, it just has a time and a place.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Jig and bobber is getting more attention cuz there is less of a learning curve and its really simple to get, its not rocket science at all and just about anyone can learn how to do it perfect in just a matter of a couple trips out really, but if you really want to shine em on try float fishing with a center pin set up and get your self a 100 yard drift if you want lol when i float fish i like using my pin set up but its super easy to grasp so thats why i think you are seeing a lot more of it.

Fish On :Chum77

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:29 pm

I'm going to try float fishing tomorrow. I have been using spoons but I talked with a guy that CR'd a 10 lb navtive today and caught a 5 lb hatchery hen two days ago.

When in Rome.......

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Drift vs Float fishing is different. Different water = different tactics. Each will work in their own time/place under the right conditions....

Float fishing is just a lot easy for a rookie steelheader to tackle...

Remember, drift fishing and float fishing aren't the only two methods out there. Try swinging some metal for these nates that are hitting the river this time of the year. Pink worms also will take their fair share of fish as well...

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:09 pm

I just go with what the situation dictates. Sometimes it's better to drift where they're holding, sometimes you gotta run a float and jig to get to 'em. Just like blackmouth said, different water - different tactics.
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:03 am

I guess the common theme here is, Different strokes for different folks. The drifts that we fish are as different as we are from one another. Each person develops his/her own comfort zone and favorite spots to use it. Thats why we share.

driftercn83
Petty Officer

Post by driftercn83 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 am

I have also noticed though that alot of people are float fishing runs that are prime drifting runs fast water but my guess is that its way snaggy or very deep where you need heavier weight to get to the bottom of the river with out a hang up I myself am an ex fly guy so I can handle strike indicators and having to mend my line during a drift is nothing. but I guesss my issue is not having too much slack in my line during a float drift and the inidcator is much bigger.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:37 pm

trust me i am a drift guy and i like it more because floats are so common on the rivers i fish that alot of people dont even drift fish them.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:50 am

I gotta say I'm more partial to drifting too. I like to keep my line nice and tight so I can feel that strike. Float fishing is alright in certain situations but I like the control you get from drifting.
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:52 pm

well everyone pretty much posted what i would have to say on this subject. It's more about the water or type of holding area you are fishing. I have caught steelhead drift fishing a hole that I was told it was a flost only hole and I couldn't catch a fish on a drift set up. I did jsut to prove some people wrong. Granted, if it is primarly a float hole you will have better luck floating it then anything else.

Use what works for hte holding water you are fishing in, that is what it comes down to.

but most of all, have fun doing it.