Rieter Death

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
driftercn83
Petty Officer

Rieter Death

Post by driftercn83 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:39 pm

thanks for bring up the death of the guy ......... that reminded me please be curtious at reiter my best friend who lives no more then 3 miles up stream found out that the Girl that was murdered a week or so ago and they found her remains scattered that was her best best friend. I will be making the trek to rieter in two weeks but if you see any memerials please be curtious I know this wasnt a fishing post but it will mean alot to every one......
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

RE:Rieter Death

Post by SAPIplate » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:59 pm

And thats why I hate fishing Rieter........
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:04 pm

same here. i will not fish it unless i have to
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 pm

The tweakers on that stretch of water from Monroe all the way up the Sky are ruthless.

Once you get up near Sultan/Reiter/Gold Bar and beyond, things get pretty sketchy out there. I've heard a lot of bad stories, ranging from constant car prowling to meth head tweakers going after solo fisherman. If I fished that area, I'd pack a sidearm, especially if fishing solo.

Some of the characters up there will make you uneasy to say the least.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 am

curado wrote:same here. i will not fish it unless i have to
Why would you "have" to fish anywhere?:-k
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

I guess we all look for different values when fishing.Some want meat,some want just to get out and myself and others just fish for the relaxation of the sport.The peace and solitude of a quiet stream.My extended family are in the wholesale and retail fish business so for me Im just as happy catching but then even if I dont catch I still feel its a win win situation.I dont venture to tweeker land. Its not worth it to me to combat fish for a steelie.Id rather find a nice semi quiet spot and enjoy the moment and surrounding scenery.If I allready know that a spot is ripe for breakins or stealing then I look for another spot or hole to fish.I dont want to fish worrying about my truck and gear being stolen.

I will pray for the family of the lil girl . I feel very sad for them. As far as courteous goes on the rivers I find to all to often courteous does not exist with alot of fisherpeople.There are fights at boat launches,and at areas of the river that fishermen think they own that spot. Ive fished areas by getting to a spot early just to be told that this is their spot. I laugh at that point.(at times I raise my coat and let it ride on the grip of my pistol.)I dont like doing that or resorting to that but I've run across some fairly rude people in my time.As Gringo said"why would you HAVE to fish anywhere" if it comes to that.I rather just find somewhere else.Good luck to all. I'll be doing Bush again this weekend.That is a great place to fish so far.No fish but the scenery is great.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

driftercn83
Petty Officer

Post by driftercn83 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:51 am

the woman that was killed was 30 her body was scattered over 6 square miles in the reiter area. look it up on the seattletimes website...
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

driftercn83
Petty Officer

Post by driftercn83 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:53 am

the woman that was killed was 30 her body was scattered over 6 square miles in the reiter area. look it up on the seattletimes website...

daniesea
Petty Officer

Post by daniesea » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:30 pm

I agree with Racfish... Fishing is suppose to be fun and relaxing... I sometimes find myself discouraged when I get to the fishing grounds and there is combat fishing going on, so I usually go find another place to fish and just the line wet, even if I dont catch anything... I also ran into a few rude people in my days. I just hope that people out there would be better at sharing and just have fun instead of treating it as if its your only source of food for the day or something like that... Anyways, Sorry to hear about the lady... God bless all the nice people.. :)

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:30 pm

And the pervert that committed the crime was a Gold Bar resident. Unfortunately law enforcement let the lightly populated Hwy 2 corridor east of Monroe become what it is today. Hopefully now after this gruesome crime that LE will devote some additional resources to the area. We all know that property crimes are not very high on LE's agenda.
The Reiter hatchery hole is really no different than any the Cascade, Wallace, Tokul, Blue Creek, NFL or other hatchery meat hole. The folks that fish these fishing arm pits fall into 3 main categories. 1: Usually unemployed locals that fish every day and eat or sell their catch. 2: Folks that are desperate to catch anything that swims. 3: Folks that feel dirty just being there and would prefer to wear a paper bag over their heads so no one they know might recognize them. Do I ever fish Reiter? Yup, for summer runs in the late summer and early fall when the wind is blowing too hard to fish saltwater. If meat holes are all that you can get to then bring your patience and people skills as you will need both. Just don't expect a quality fishing experience. When I was younger I could physically handle the cretins who thought they owned the river and tried to intimidate me to leave. Now that I'm rapidly approaching senior citizen status I also pack a legal self defense weapon that I'm trained to use and abide by all of the legal requirements to do so.
This morning I spent 3 hours C&R'ng several cutthroat fly fishing at a local beach. Not another fisherman in sight.
Life's short - fish hard!

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm

I hate fishing with crowds or even a few people. Unfortunatly, on this side of the mountains thats hard to come by on major steelheading rivers. Thats why Montana is so much better anyway:-"
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:25 pm

SAPIplate wrote:I hate fishing with crowds or even a few people. Unfortunatly, on this side of the mountains thats hard to come by on major steelheading rivers. Thats why Montana is so much better anyway:-"
yeah if you're up for good trout fishing...but its not the same as a chrome log of a steelhead. apples...orange...

and it really isn't that hard to find some nice remote access even on the west side of the mountains.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:50 pm

per member request, let's start a new thread for Reiter Tweekers and lock this one up. Thanks

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".