North American Fishing club...Scam or not???

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Big D

North American Fishing club...Scam or not???

Post by Big D » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:50 pm

I received some junk mail today from the North American Fishing club promising free fishing items for testing and a magazine subscription for $1.00 per month. In reading the paper work it looks like they send out DVD’s and books at regular intervals whether you order them or not and if you keep them you have to purchase them. Kind of looks to me like they use the same business model as Columbia house music service back in the day. Anyone belong to the North American fishing club? And if so, what can you tell me about it?
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

crankbait42
Commander

RE:North American Fishing club...Scam or not???

Post by crankbait42 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:13 pm

yes, i got a life membership for my birthday like 6 years ago and they sent me a reel and a rod but the rod had some other guys name on it so i sent it back but they wont give me another, in the begging it was cool got some good books like you said keep and pay or just give them back, got magizines regularly and some other cool stuff but as time went by they kind of just dissapeared and a couple times kept asking me to pay for my membership and i had to remind them that i was a life member already and it was paid for, now i cant remember the last time i got a magazine or anything but they do send me lots of offers to other organizations like some hunting one that seems to be affiliated some how,
dont know if this helps, i would certainly like to say they were awesome but.......

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Yea, ever since one of our members mentioned how great it was I plugged into it and they have been spamming me to death ever since. They seem to have to try too hard to drum up some business. they also have North American Hunting Club, along with about 12 others on their list of clubs. I was not impressed.=;

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:27 pm

I got about 300 bucks worth of free tackle from them during my 1 year membership, including a $250 MSRP Kistler bass rod and various lures/hooks/floats/swivels/etc. But I didn't like having other stuff sent to me (like books and DVDs) on a buy-or-ship back basis--I have to pay the return shipping if I didn't want to keep the books/dvd. Plus, there were all sorts of bills for membership that would appear, even though I thought I was paid in full.

If I were you, I would not join. Many people don't get a lot out of their membership. Some others like me, get lucky with some nice free tackle.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:18 pm

Someone gave them my name and they spammed me for about 3 years before giving up.
Life's short - fish hard!

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 am

Years ago I was sent a huge packet saying they were looking for die hard fisherman, talking alot about field testing new gear and being able to keep the
gear for doing this evaluation along with some decals, patch and some hooks. I was sorry I got hooked, shortly afterward they had sold my name to every-
one in the country and I was receiving offers from everyone.... bombarded! I never saw a single field test item show up and they allways seemed to think
I owed them money? I finally got rid of them and just recently I started to get more junk mail from them sent as to a new prospect? Not recommended.....
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:15 am

I'm not sure why I had a duplicate copy of my post show up..... gone
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:38 am

I finally got them to leave me alone
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:20 am

I belong to the greatest of all fishing clubs. It has real members and nice ones. Its called "Washington Lakes .com"You get real reports from real people fishing real spots.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:13 am

Yeah it's a total scam!!!! As far as WL.com, I'd keep a close eye on those scoundrels too.......... =) Best site on the web with no ti.......
Way back when in the dark ages, when the web was still just text and the forums were BB's. the NorthAmerican Clubs worked through the mail. I got roped into joining through a shooting club. Well, after two years of having stuff sent to me without prior approval only to to recieve a a follow bill a week after the items arrived. Open the box thinking they're finally sending some free stuff to test only to get a bill a week later. Books, Videos and bills.........lots of them. It took two years and couple letters from our local postmaster to get them to stop sending stuff. The only "free" thing I got was a crappy hat and a window sticker.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

ZaraSpook
Petty Officer

Post by ZaraSpook » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:56 pm

I've been a life member for over 6 years & have had ZERO problems with NFC, I've done several product tests & kept the product, hassle free
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:56 pm

One out of seven so far. If I'm not mistaken that's what we call a track record.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm

all i got was a sticker:-k :-k
fish on!

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Bodofish wrote:One out of seven so far. If I'm not mistaken that's what we call a track record.
(CRAP) record would be more like it. this outfit would send me "we'll sick our lawers" on you if you don't pay for the one year subscription that i did'nt know i said i wanted. so i went ahead and paid for the year and never got three mags and CRAPPY/CHEAP fish stuff that i threw away. I sent several (7) nasty don't send me any more CRAP letters to them because i did not receive my mags and still got letters to pay for a life time membership. same with the hunting part. I'm sure its the (get a few people to say great reveiws by giving them some good stuff and CRAP on the rest) So i would say that you need to stay away from this outfit. but then again you could be one of the lucky ones in this CRAPshoot organization.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:11 pm

I've been a member of the North American Hunting Club for over 20 years. In the early days, it was real, and the magazine was full of good stuff. They offered books, and excellent ones at that, that were keep and pay or they could be returned in the same box with the provided return postage label. As the years went by, more and more things, not hunting related, were being offered to club members, and if you didn't want them you had to pay return postage. I started getting garbage in the mail, and like others, bills for the merchandise I never requested. I finally had enough and sent them a letter telling them I would keep any and all "merchandise" not personally requested by me as a gift, and would not pay for any of them. Not only did the "free merchandise" stop, but I got a phone call asking me about my change of heart. I basically told them I didn't appreciate the "spamming" they were doing and I wanted my records to reflect I was to be sent nothing unless I personally requested it. Has worked for many years now and the only thing they send me is the magazine which I should get "for life".

When I got "exclusive" offers to become a life member of NAFC, I promptly tossed them in the trash as I already knew first hand what was going to happen. I wouldn't join if it were really free. :-" I keep it local now, and WALakes.com and Angler's Experience are all I need. I still maintain a subscription to In-Fisherman, and enjoy reading it, but that's as far it goes.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:18 pm

hewesfisher wrote:I've been a member of the North American Hunting Club for over 20 years. In the early days, it was real, and the magazine was full of good stuff. They offered books, and excellent ones at that, that were keep and pay or they could be returned in the same box with the provided return postage label. As the years went by, more and more things, not hunting related, were being offered to club members, and if you didn't want them you had to pay return postage. I started getting garbage in the mail, and like others, bills for the merchandise I never requested. I finally had enough and sent them a letter telling them I would keep any and all "merchandise" not personally requested by me as a gift, and would not pay for any of them. Not only did the "free merchandise" stop, but I got a phone call asking me about my change of heart. I basically told them I didn't appreciate the "spamming" they were doing and I wanted my records to reflect I was to be sent nothing unless I personally requested it. Has worked for many years now and the only thing they send me is the magazine which I should get "for life".

When I got "exclusive" offers to become a life member of NAFC, I promptly tossed them in the trash as I already knew first hand what was going to happen. I wouldn't join if it were really free. :-" I keep it local now, and WALakes.com and Angler's Experience are all I need. I still maintain a subscription to In-Fisherman, and enjoy reading it, but that's as far it goes.
well said hewes
fish on!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:07 pm

panfisher wrote:
Bodofish wrote:One out of seven so far. If I'm not mistaken that's what we call a track record.
(CRAP) record would be more like it. this outfit would send me "we'll sick our lawers" on you if you don't pay for the one year subscription that i did'nt know i said i wanted. so i went ahead and paid for the year and never got three mags and CRAPPY/CHEAP fish stuff that i threw away. I sent several (7) nasty don't send me any more CRAP letters to them because i did not receive my mags and still got letters to pay for a life time membership. same with the hunting part. I'm sure its the (get a few people to say great reveiws by giving them some good stuff and CRAP on the rest) So i would say that you need to stay away from this outfit. but then again you could be one of the lucky ones in this CRAPshoot organization.
OK so we're up to 1 and a 1/2 to 9. Yep it's a track record, a bad one. So call it any kind you like. I'm giving Hewes a 1/2 for the first part of his membership.

Big D

Post by Big D » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:44 am

Thanks folks,
Sounds just as I thought...too good to be true. Thanks for all of the horror stories about the North American Fishing club. I kept the note pad, fishing license holder and the 5" x 5" Jumping Bass window decal and threw everything else away. I'm not a Bass fisherman so if anyone wants the Jumping Bass window decal? PM me your address and I'll send it to you free of charge. First come first served and I only have the one.

On a side note, I’m just putting this out there…If Cabalas, Lund, Yamaha, Bass Pro, West Coast Marine, G Loomis, Mack's lure or Rapala is looking for a field tester...I'm your man.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:38 am

I still have that Kistler rod they sent to me. Unused still in its plastic wrapper, since its a cranking rod and I don't fish for bass too much. Seems like a nice rod. But if I didn't get it for free, I'm not sure if I would have spent $250 MSRP for it.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:49 am

I have been a life member of NAFC for 20 years.
The web site has upto date info from all around the country.
I can talk to weekend anglers and pros.
The mag has been up and down at times but is informative.
Through NAFC, I can go to any State and fish with a local.
I can get discounts on food and lodging.
I get some sweet deals from time to time on Tackle.

The real advantage to being with the NAFC is the members.

I have met folks that are like family to me.
We have a member that is fighting the cancer. She is single and doesn't have much money to spend.
She had never been out of Wisconsin. A member in Oregon said if she could get out there he would put her up and guide for Steelhead. Other members got together and sent her to Oregon for a week of fishing and Crabbing.
Another member made her a custom Steelhead rod and another sent out a reel.

Yes there have been folks unhappy about how the club works but most have been after the freebies.
I have had to send them a letter telling them not to send anything I did not order and they have not done it again.
I am proud to be a member of N.A.F.C.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe