Burbot ? The freshwater Cod

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
G-Man
Admiral

RE:Burbot ? The freshwater Cod

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:51 pm

I know they are in Lake Roosevelt. Haven't caught one myself but have seen them as a by-catch of walleye fishermen when fishing early morning out of Seven Bays.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:24 pm

racfish wrote:Lake Kachees had Burbot for years.I know that they did a big poison of the lake a few years ago .I dont know if Burbot were put back in or not.
I personally have never caught one but fish this lake often.I run into many anglers that catch a ton of these guys...and big.
I can't say if its the best lake for burbot but it seems to have plenty.I wouldn't mind targeting a few.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:50 am

I am interested in hitting Hawk Creek on Lake Roosevelt for some Burbot. Six or so years ago I was fishing for trout and had caught an 16 incher or so, in some of the deeper waters. Any recommendations as to what to use, I've heard people using meat from other fish to catch them on the bottom.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:35 am

I believe the accepted technique is to long line for them. Set your gear out over night and pull it in the morning. I've never fished for them but I have long lined and I've read they only eat at night. I would think hearing chunks or sonething along that line would get them to bite. OH and DEEP.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:47 am

Double check regs regarding set lines as I think they have been banned in this State. Under "tackle" for general rules it states that all gear must be kept under immediate supervision and no more than 3 hooks per line. The "set lines may be used when fishing for burbot" statement has been purged from the regs.

As for bait I've heard fresh chicken or beef liver works great as do night crawlers. Someone posted reports of catching them at the mouth of the Sanpoil river last year, but I can't seem to find it. I think shrimp meat may have involved as well. The guy fished at night and they seemed to come into the shallow water at that time.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:06 am

Hear are some reports from last year.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... aspx#94508
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportCo ... id=456&t=5

PDF file of info on Burbot in Lake Roosevelt, Lots of data mainly; http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/org_NWS/NWSci ... t%20al.pdf

Anyone know if water temperature makes a difference as to what time of year they bite best?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:14 am

After a eye bleeding read of the regs it doesn't spell out one way or the other any information on long lining. If you had control of one end of the line you could put out three leaders with three hooks. Limit being 5 fish per day. Now do you get 5 before midnight and 5 after??? If there was a change it must have been in the last year. While pulling my boat from Lake Cle Elum in 08 I was told by a guide and the WDFG guy that people used long lines to fish Butbot in Cle Elum. Put'em in before sunset and pull'em up at first light. The Maks will feast if you leave them out after light. As a general rule they're very deep except when they're about to spawn. When do they spawn?????? I was shown on the map to set lines in the trenches at about 300'
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:16 am

[quote="Kfedka"]Hear are some reports from last year.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... aspx#94508

PDF file of info on Burbot in Lake Roosevelt, Lots of data mainly]

In many areas, not WA, people ice fish for them in the winter and other techniques in the summer so I'd bet they bite most of the time.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:23 am

Here in WY they ice fish for them all the time and catch a lot of them... I got to run to class I will give more info when I get home
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Don't tell anyone, but they're in Palmer Lake in Okanogan County also. I have seen some big fish pictures from there (30" to 36") and am told they eat great!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:34 pm

In my article we talk about set lines - which as of that date were legal in CHelan and Cle Elum. Don't know now. As far as rod catching, my understanding is the most effective technique is jigging with tipped liver, worm, or some such meaty attractant. I did catch one on Chelan using this technique, until Anton Jones said enough of this folling around and got us back to trolling for lakers. With today's super thin braided line that's how I would target these fish.

Set lines in my opinion were a real pain and not something I'd bother with again. not that interested in getting extra fish meat, which is really al it's for.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:35 am

This is a good time to hit Hawk creek.
Head down were the creek makes a hard left turn.
There should be a bouy there, fish around that bouy with crawlers.
I would fish during the day and catch good numbers there.
I have caught them at 7-bays and Fort Spokane and as far up the Spokane arm as mile marker 11.
Fillet and skin them and stick them in a steamer.
Melt some butter with a bit of Garlic, dip and enjoy.
Freshwater ling.
Burbot.
eel pout.
lota-lota.
Dogfish what ever name you give them, they are well worth catching.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:46 am

Bodofish wrote:After a eye bleeding read of the regs it doesn't spell out one way or the other any information on long lining. If you had control of one end of the line you could put out three leaders with three hooks. Limit being 5 fish per day. Now do you get 5 before midnight and 5 after??? If there was a change it must have been in the last year. While pulling my boat from Lake Cle Elum in 08 I was told by a guide and the WDFG guy that people used long lines to fish Butbot in Cle Elum. Put'em in before sunset and pull'em up at first light. The Maks will feast if you leave them out after light. As a general rule they're very deep except when they're about to spawn. When do they spawn?????? I was shown on the map to set lines in the trenches at about 300'
Set lines were legal in 2005-2006 and before. They changed the regs back around 2007 to make set lines illegal.

Here's what the 2005-2006 WDFW regs pamphlet said:

"BURBOT (FRESHWATER LING) No min. size. Daily limit 5. Set lines with not more than 5 hooks may be used where listed in the Special Rules. Set lines must be clearly identifi ed with the angler's name and address."

Here's what the 2006-2007 regs said:

"BURBOT (FRESHWATER LING) No min. size. Daily limit 5. (Set lines no longer allowed)."

Here's what the current 2009-2010 regs say:

"BURBOT (FRESHWATER LING) No min. size. Daily limit 5."
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiznwtrs
Angler

Post by fiznwtrs » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Yellow bear thanks for the info. Probably ten guys fishing there now already lol. We used to hike just over the hill to the eddie and fish at night catching up to six pounders hten we got skunked two years in a row and haven't been back since. Is the campground open year round? Watch out for the raccoons they were quite the pests at night as i remember. ..fiz

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm planning on hitting the Burbots next weekend. Let you guys know how I do, keep an eye out on the reports.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Well I went last night for Burbots, overall a little slow. Maybe cause I missed over 5 bites, it being my first time fishing for them takes a little to figure out how they bite and how to hook them up. Look for it in the reports.

They like that deep water, but I heard that people were able to catch them in not so deep water on fish guts. Have yet to fry them, will fry them up for dinner.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:04 pm

let us know what you think of them, the ones I ate were pretty good.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Ok, this is the one of the ways I cooked it vMdD8egU_ac

Cut up in small pieces, boil in pot for 5 minutes, remove fish from pot and drain water, melt butter and put fish back in pot with butter for a few minute adding season salt. This turned out very delicious reminds me of eating lobster at Red Lobster.

The second way it prepared it was frying in a pan. First dipped in flour then fried in small amount of oil. It tasted great also, but not as good as when I boiled it, maybe needed to fry it in butter instead of oil.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:40 am

butter makes it better:dwarf:
fish on!

CRANDALL
Angler

Post by CRANDALL » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

15 YEARS AGO I LIVED IN KETTLE FALLS AND I USED TO FISH FOR LINGS AT NIGHT ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND IN THE WINTER. WE FISHED AT THE MOUTH OF THE COLVILLE RIVER AND WE CAUGHT QUITE A FEW FISH JUST USING NIGHT CRAWLERS. :nemo: :salut: