Can I Use Small Red Beads Instead Of Corkies?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
nickbell
Commander

Can I Use Small Red Beads Instead Of Corkies?

Post by nickbell » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:38 pm

I only have one corky left and i cant find a store that sells them nearby. I do have a ton of these small red beads. Im using bright pink yarn and im fishing for steelhead in the puyallup.

dubplate
Petty Officer

RE:Can I Use Small Red Beads Instead Of Corkies?

Post by dubplate » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Well I guess you could try.......but I wouldn't. Corkies are bouyant and designed to elevate your "offering" off the bottom. I guess using beads would be like adding a small splitshot to your rig. I'm surprised you cant find any in your area, tacoma right? Maybe someone who lives in that area can point you in the right direction to find some.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
insert sig here:

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:49 pm

I've heard of using small red beads with a float setup, but not as a corky/yarn setup. Your trying to float your corky to the same level of the fishe's mouth so they don't have to work that hard to bite your corky. That's why you have to experiment with different size corky for the type of water flow and level. Good luck man.

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:56 pm

I guess you could use beads if you wanted to, but I would definitely use corkys with them if you have any. I use beads from time to time, but always with a corky underneath them. The bouyancy factor is very important to keeping your presentation off the bottom and close to the strike zone. Try wal mart, fred meyer, sports authority or any local sporting goods store with a halfway decent fishing aisle and you should be able to find some corkys.
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Walmart and Fred Meyer sell them...in prepackage paks. Without a great selection of colors.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

crouchnathan
Angler

Post by crouchnathan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:18 pm

In tac-town, hit up fife sportco- they have tons of gear, including what you are looking for. They are kind of a wharehouse feel, so don't expect customer service at your feet, but they stock all the goods. Just try to get out of there without a full cart- tehe. Here's the site:

http://www.outdooremporium.net/

Good luck

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 pm

crouchnathan wrote:In tac-town, hit up fife sportco- they have tons of gear, including what you are looking for. They are kind of a wharehouse feel, so don't expect customer service at your feet, but they stock all the goods. Just try to get out of there without a full cart- tehe. Here's the site:

http://www.outdooremporium.net/

Good luck
Yup, I forgot to mention sportco. Oh, and he ain't kiddin about the full cart thing! My wife won't let me go there by myself anymore lol!
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:22 pm

you can use straight trout beads but kinda add extra puffy yarn to keep it off the bottom cuz it will not float like a corkey, but if you are fishing the puke then its kinda like pissing in the wind unless you add some un cooked prawn or maybe some tight roe so the 2 or 3 steelhead in that river can find your offering, but all and all the bead does work so its worth giving it a shot good luck man and i hope ya land some steel bro.

Fish On :Chum77

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:25 am

like stated before they sale them at plenty fo stores.

but beads will work great alone, I have caught a few coho just off a bead and red hook and hooked into a steeli last weekend with just a bead as well. They do work, just might be at the right spot in the water colum. Good luck with you fishing and I hope all this helps you.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:03 pm

only time ive seen someone drift a bead they were using onlya a clear bead on a 12 ft leader and intentionally snagging, but i suppose you could use them

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Scott has an uncanny ability to use whatever he has to make things work, that's why I call him the magic man (gitter dun!) Hey Nick, Sportco is a great place to get all your gear, and like everyone else said, Fred Meyer, Walmart, Rite Aid, even Target has some gear. Hope this works for you Nick <{{{< Tight Lines!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:22 pm

When the pinks was in ALL I used was a small red bead and black yarn. They loved it. I tried a few different color combos where my friend lives on the puyallup and red bead black yarn was the ticket. I was also using very little weight so it actually didnt make it to the bottom with the current. Ive not caught a steelie in the daylight its only been at night. So I recommend glow corkies no yarn.
More fish please!