How Do I Set Up A Corky And Yarn Rig?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
nickbell
Commander

How Do I Set Up A Corky And Yarn Rig?

Post by nickbell » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Help me out, thanks.

flinginpooh
Captain

RE:How Do I Set Up A Corky And Yarn Rig?

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Copy and pasted from a diff answer.

For river fishing? Drifting corky and yarn right?

Take a 3-10 foot leader depending on water height and where your fishing. Take the line that goes back through the eye and pull slack back towards your hook and put a piece of yarn through it. Tighten the line back up and then slide your corky on. As for the weight I take my main line and put a snap swivel on it so its free sliding. Then I put a bead on and then tie a barrel swivel to that. Tie your leader to the other side. Then put on weight of your choice to the snap swivel. I prefer to use slinkies now Ive gotten way less snags. I do my weight this way because it keeps the hook directly inline with the mainline. You dont need to lift the weight in order to set the hooks. It also increases the sensitivity so you can feel the bite easier. If its steel head your trying to hook you need it sensitive. They bite soft sometimes. Its that easy. Sometimes I go with 2 small corkies it really just depends on what gets a bite. I switch up colors and corky size 1 or 2 corkies etc... Add your favorite shrimp, anise, salmonegg scent. If your gonna fish at nigh make sure is a glow corky and use something to light it up. Toss it out. Hope this helps. Tight lines!
More fish please!

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm

I think that the most important part of the corky and yarn rig is learning how to tie an egg loop knot. Below is a photo of a variation that I use below Wells Dam when fishing for late summer kings

Here's a diagram of how to tie a corky & yarn setup:

You can also check out these web sites for other suggestions:

http://www.dukeoutdoors.com/EggLoopKnot.htm
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/reso ... ishing.htm
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/salmon/how_to_c ... hwater.htm
http://www.fishsponge.com/Tips-Drift%20 ... m#Driftrig
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:13 pm

The illistration that big D posted is correct but the leader length that flinginpoo is incorrect sorry to say it, you dont need more then 3 feet of leader no matter what the water condition is. If you have a 10 ft + leader all you are doing is either A: Snagging the poor fish or B: flossing the poor guy and flossing is basicly forcing the rig down its throat and even though its legal i wouldnt call your self a sport fishermen if this is your chosen tactic, i would actualy call you a poacher sorry. So stick with the illistration that big D gave you and stick with no more then 3 feet of leader and you should be set with no problems at all, even though using a corkey is the most popular method for salmon and steelhead it is also the most hard to get a hold of, trying to figure out a fish bite from just bumping bottom but with a lot of practice you will get it in no time good luck with your new found method. need any further info pm me.

P.S dont use double hooks you will just snag em plus its not legal in most waters

Fish on: Chum77
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 am

chum77 wrote:P.S dont use double hooks you will just snag em plus its not legal in most waters
The problem with a blanket statement like the one above is that it might be true in one area but often times it's not true in another. (As always...Before heading out double check the regs for the area that you'll be fishing in)

I along with several other fishermen have been using the double hook/double corky setup as pictured above for several years below Wells Dam...It is legal and it catches fish.

Exhibit #1

When fishing from the shore below Wells Dam my experience shows me that the weight bouncing along the bottom is the cause of most hang ups and not the double hook/double corky rig and since I've switched over to slinky weights my snags/hang ups have dropped to almost nil.

As far as the leader length flossing/snagging debate...I'm going to leave that one alone for now.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Big D

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:09 am

chum77 wrote:The illistration that big D posted is correct but the leader length that flinginpoo is incorrect sorry to say it, you dont need more then 3 feet of leader no matter what the water condition is. If you have a 10 ft + leader all you are doing is either A: Snagging the poor fish or B: flossing the poor guy and flossing is basicly forcing the rig down its throat and even though its legal i wouldnt call your self a sport fishermen if this is your chosen tactic, i would actualy call you a poacher sorry. So stick with the illistration that big D gave you and stick with no more then 3 feet of leader and you should be set with no problems at all, even though using a corkey is the most popular method for salmon and steelhead it is also the most hard to get a hold of, trying to figure out a fish bite from just bumping bottom but with a lot of practice you will get it in no time good luck with your new found method. need any further info pm me.

P.S dont use double hooks you will just snag em plus its not legal in most waters

Fish on: Chum77
I beg to differ with that, I think that leader length does have to vary sometimes. This past year we were down at the Mouth of the Toutle fishing on the Cowlitz and a guy next to us was using about 7 foot leader and catching a bunch of fish while we were using 3 foot leaders and didn't even have 1 hook up. My dad followed what the guy was using and changed his leader to around 7 feet and in 30 minutes caught his Silver legally in the mouth.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:15 am

oh here we go with the flossing debate.

everyone has there own opions on this. My leader is any where from 2 feet to 6 feet, flossing is not shoving the hook dow nthe fish throat, The yarn will just help keep the hook in the fishes mouth, this is why it is called flossing. if you use yarn you are flosing and is a leagle technique to use. Use what ever leader length you feel you might need at the location you are fishing. Your wieght can scare the fish so you might need a longer leader in order for the fish not to see your wieght, also the leader length will change where your hook will be in the water colum as well.

As long and you are following the regs then don't worry about what other people are saying to you. Just fish and enjoy it because you love it, don't let anyone reuin it for you.

Check out steelhead university and salmon unitversity, great info for fishing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 am

Just think of it this way chum77 steelhead bite. There is no flossing a steelhead. It is all about the depth at which the corky if floating along. Really how long have you fished to not know this? And again with double hooks? All you need to do is check where and when anti snag rules are and are not in effect. What rivers have special tackle rules saying none allowed. I mean thats all in the rule book. Its available online and in any sporting good stores. I just dont understand peoples ignorance when it comes to certain things. And so ya know Fish look up and steelhead bite hooks ok. TY
More fish please!

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 am

lol i like how i get grilled for showing the guy good fishing edicate, and as far as the whole debate on flossing its legalized snagging and we all know this we dont need to go any further then that nuff said. As far as leader length is concerned and being in diffrent types of water colums, if there not hugging the bottom use a diffrent method instead of flossing like, bobber and jig or spoons and spinners or if you really want to break the mold try hitting with a well placed fly. So basicly if the 3 feet of leader is not working for you at the chosen spot dont add more leader just use a diffrent method and try to be a well rounded angler and you will learn more and be a better fishermen by far. Last comment on this thread.

fish on: Chum77

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:19 am

chum77 wrote:lol i like how i get grilled for showing the guy good fishing edicate, and as far as the whole debate on flossing its legalized snagging and we all know this we dont need to go any further then that nuff said. As far as leader length is concerned and being in diffrent types of water colums, if there not hugging the bottom use a diffrent method instead of flossing like, bobber and jig or spoons and spinners or if you really want to break the mold try hitting with a well placed fly. So basicly if the 3 feet of leader is not working for you at the chosen spot dont add more leader just use a diffrent method and try to be a well rounded angler and you will learn more and be a better fishermen by far. Last comment on this thread. fish on: Chum77
Hey Chum77,
You started it. I'm still not getting into the flossing/snagging debate but now you're coming across as arrogant.
I just may start using fifteen or twenty foot leaders to spite you.[-x
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 am

Yeah I shouldn't have made that comment because I knew someone would say something about it, oh well Nickhbell knows how to make a corky/yarn rig so we can just drop it now.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Ok, here is some info on drifting that one can take to the bank. When I first was introduced to steelhead fishing by my father, I was told to get my corky down to the bottom, and make sure it stayed close to it at all times. When we used eggs, less weight was the norm and we tried to get our weight to touch bottom just a few times during the drift. What I eventually determined was that these methods were effective mostly because of the river conditions at the time they were employed. I like fishing low and clear water, it's my preference, something about the way the river adds to the look of the landscape that I find appealing. Now with the river low and clear the fish are spooky and will hold very close to the bottom in most typical drifts and we used corkys. With the river level up and colored the fish feel more comfortable and may sit higher in the drift and are also more prone to attack a lure at a greater distance and we fished with eggs.

You need to keep in mind that the laws of aerodynamics apply in moving water. If it isn't something that you can easily wrap your head around I suggest that you snorkel in a river next summer, and experience first hand how the current reacts to different structures. It might just happen that the light bulb will switch on and all this will make sense. One could write a book on this, and many have, so I'll just keep to a few points.

When deciding what to hook up for a particular drift, some of the factors that come into play are: bottom structure, water speed, water color, leader length, lure buoyancy, lure shape (aerodynamics) and weight of the sinker. In certain conditions, non buoyant lures can rise off the bottom just like a plane does at take-off. This why one can drift eggs, rubber worms, night crawlers etc. and not get hung up all the time. Conversely, buoyant lures, depending on their shape can rise, dive or remain level in a river current. So, for your standard corky and yarn setup you will be getting positive buoyancy, meaning that it will float in still water and its aerodynamics are such that it will remain buoyant in moving water. With this in mind, leader length has a direct affect on how far off the bottom the setup will drift and you will need to vary it depending on the conditions of the drift you are going to fish. Changing weight, lure size, main line diameter and angle of the rod to the water will also have an effect and is something you'll learn to factor in as well. Hopefully, the more you fish, the more you will be able to gauge how far off the bottom your gear will be, given the variables involved. There isn't any one length of leader, weight of sinker, size of corky that will work well in all conditions. Learning to read the river and creating a mental image of what is going on under the surface is the key to being successful.

Now for my incendiary comment of the day: flossing is a term developed and used by those who refuse to believe that science plays a critical part in the art of fishing.

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Yea, like he said with one small exception. I pay closer attention to hydrodynamics while fishing a drift more than I do aerodynamics. Just kidding G-man thanks much for your input.
Big D

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Ty Ty Im sure most people understand that water conditions are a huge part of how you need to fish. My father has tought me ignorance shows up everywhere. Unfortunately you dont have to look real hard to find it.
More fish please!

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Just incase you're not familiar with the egg loop knot, try this video:
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/videosteach.htm

I think I'ts the best video out there on tying the knot.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 pm

listen to what they are saying. i have learned alot from looking stuff up on fishing websites. egg loops are hard to master. but when u get good at them u can almost tye them with your eyes closed. if u ever can go on a guided trip. this will help u learn what to fish in cetain waters and clarity. 1 rule 2 remember though 40 inch leader max no longer. if u can pick up some pips boxes by macks.

the silver came off drifted purple yarn and the steelhead came off eggs.
Attachments
random_pics_244_Medium.jpg
random_pics_244_Medium.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 6336 times
image_Medium.jpg
image_Medium.jpg (57.61 KiB) Viewed 6330 times
fish_019_Medium.jpg
fish_019_Medium.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 am

chum77 wrote:lol i like how i get grilled for showing the guy good fishing edicate, and as far as the whole debate on flossing its legalized snagging and we all know this we dont need to go any further then that nuff said. As far as leader length is concerned and being in diffrent types of water colums, if there not hugging the bottom use a diffrent method instead of flossing like, bobber and jig or spoons and spinners or if you really want to break the mold try hitting with a well placed fly. So basicly if the 3 feet of leader is not working for you at the chosen spot dont add more leader just use a diffrent method and try to be a well rounded angler and you will learn more and be a better fishermen by far. Last comment on this thread.

fish on: Chum77

if it was snagging they would put resrtictions on it and make it ileagle. Remove head from XXX!!!!!!!!!

Thank everyone that posted this info it can help everyone, evne those that are hard headed and set in there ways.

I feel I can learn from everyone here even if they are a new fisherman even chum77. He makes great points and I do agree with what he says. but I hate this argument, it is stupid and everyone feel they are right and no one will win.

So back on subject, if you want a little help next time you are out fishing, shoot me a pm and I will see if I can meet you and I am sure we can learn something for each other.

tight lines everyone.

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Hey Nickbell, I found alot of my information at Salmon University and You-Tube, before I found WL. And this forum has alot of experience anglers that are very generous with their knowledge. And also learning from the locals really helps, talking with them and glancing at their set up and just watching them. It might help to purposely snag their lines to see their set up, just kidding, I never done that. :shaking2: :shaking2: :shaking2: We wil need to hook up one day to get our steely. PM when you want to go fishing, I haven't had much luck myself lately.

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Splitshot wrote:
Just incase you're not familiar with the egg loop knot, try this video:
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/videosteach.htm

I think I'ts the best video out there on tying the knot.
Hey splitshot, thanks for that link. I love a good instructional video, and that one's great. Turns out I've been doin' that knot the hard way for years! It's a heck of a lot easier now!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!