Picture this

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Picture this

Post by Toni » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:39 pm

They say pictures are worth a thousand words. Here are several thousand.
Attachments
N_Fork_Lewis_copy_009.jpg
N_Fork_Lewis_copy_009.jpg (142.18 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
N_Fork_Lewis_copy011.jpg
N_Fork_Lewis_copy011.jpg (84.91 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
N_Fork_Lewis_copy010.jpg
N_Fork_Lewis_copy010.jpg (109.8 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
N_Fork_Lewis_copy008.jpg
N_Fork_Lewis_copy008.jpg (131.3 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
N_Fork_Lewis_copy005.jpg
N_Fork_Lewis_copy005.jpg (118.22 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
N_Fork_Lewis_copy004.jpg
N_Fork_Lewis_copy004.jpg (135.37 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
N_Fork_Lewis_copy001.jpg
N_Fork_Lewis_copy001.jpg (100.66 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
N_fork_Lewis_river_salmon_hatchery.JPG
N_fork_Lewis_river_salmon_hatchery.JPG (71.29 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

curado
Admiral

RE:Picture this

Post by curado » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:59 pm

yep i have seen that alot this last year
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Yup... Nuthin' like some good old fashioned combat fishin'!!
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:47 pm

I worked on my brazilian juijitsu on the off season. This way I can beat them into submission for the good spots. This is true combat fishing. Beat em up take the good spot and if they got any good fish on there stringer that too. I mean after all it dont count on my daily total if its a slot on there card already. Nah really Ive not done combat fishing thats been really bad except minter creek. I just didnt go back. I like fishing places not so crowded. Even the cowlitz I usually fish during the week. Not as crowded then.
More fish please!

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:31 pm

The lovely hatchery meat hole on the Lewis river. The crowds not bad during steelhead season. You should see it when the salmon are in.
Life's short - fish hard!

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:34 pm

the worst combat fishin iv done has to be for the Samish river King
fish on!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:26 pm

i would have to agree with salty on this one it is a flippin zoo on the samish
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:40 pm

Excellent photos Toni. That is one big river. I don't mind the combat fishing as long as everyone follows the casting order, but every once in awhile you will get those newbies that have no clue what that means. Hopefully soon I can get down there before the steely run ends.

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:44 pm

saltyseadog wrote:the worst combat fishin iv done has to be for the Samish river King
Or the puyallup on opening week!
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:01 pm

This is just sad im not gonna lie, Combat fishing is for people who dont do there home work and are too affraid of finding a new spot, half the fun is going out and finding that one spot on the river. Live a little guys unless you want to bump elbows all day.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Chum77, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is the future of steelheading in Western Washington. The state is going to manage the rivers for wild fish recovery to avoid getting steelhead ESA listed. There will be no hatchery plants in various places along a river. The only rivers that will get any plants will be the ones that have fish collection facilities, weirs, etc to keep hatchery fish out of areas that wild fish return to. They don't want hatchery fish spawning with wild fish. Hatchery fish are programmed to return to their point of release and they usually move very rapidly from the salt to their release point. So get used to elbow to elbow fishing for put and take steelhead.
Life's short - fish hard!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:36 pm

kinghunter wrote:Excellent photos Toni. That is one big river. I don't mind the combat fishing as long as everyone follows the casting order, but every once in awhile you will get those newbies that have no clue what that means. Hopefully soon I can get down there before the steely run ends.

Or a know it all that uses braid-casting out farther than anyone and letting it drift to the line of fishermen. He could go home saying he caught a boot. Ya the boot of the guy fishing next to me.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:57 pm

braid is bad juju

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:08 pm

Nah its not the braid its the guy tossin it. I have not gotten tangled up but a few times this year. And braid really unties easy if you got decent eyes and can unknot it. Its just like ya said dumbass tossing it out and long lining it across everyone. Thats the problem.
More fish please!

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:30 pm

wolverine wrote: Chum77, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is the future of steelheading in Western Washington. The state is going to manage the rivers for wild fish recovery to avoid getting steelhead ESA listed. There will be no hatchery plants in various places along a river. The only rivers that will get any plants will be the ones that have fish collection facilities, weirs, etc to keep hatchery fish out of areas that wild fish return to. They don't want hatchery fish spawning with wild fish. Hatchery fish are programmed to return to their point of release and they usually move very rapidly from the salt to their release point. So get used to elbow to elbow fishing for put and take steelhead.
never had to combat fish in my life and im not going to start now, ill hang my rods up befor i have to stand with a bunch of those people. I think there are others that share my view as well, and im pretty sure people hear dont like doing it either. There is just too many spots out there that no one fishes its crazy i doubt in the next ten years we are all going to be lined up at some sad hatchery wall scratching our heads and saying wtf happend to hour fish lol

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:08 pm

chum77 wrote:This is just sad im not gonna lie, Combat fishing is for people who dont do there home work and are too affraid of finding a new spot, half the fun is going out and finding that one spot on the river. Live a little guys unless you want to bump elbows all day.
I stumbled on this river in fall. I know it was combat and crowded, but I have met some very knowledgeable anglers and met some locals there that think of me as one of them. I even had a guy offer to let me fish in his sled yesterday. I've had guys there show me techniques that I would have never thought of trying or even yet read about. The stuff those guys showed me, I have never read about in any forum.

If I were just now learning about fishing in rivers and read your opinion and followed it, I would have never gained the knowledge I have gained fishing in combat zones.

I am not afraid to find a new spot, to me this river was new to me. :cyclopsan
"One more......."

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:10 pm

curado wrote:braid is bad juju
But it sure makes fishing with a bobber and jig a lot easier. :salut:
"One more......."

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:24 pm

not trying to bash anyone its just my own opinion on how i dont like it, but if it works for you thats great keep doing what your doing by all means.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:29 pm

jens wrote:

That is true but not if you can't control it or aren't paying attention. Or was he doing it deliberately?

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Toni wrote:
jens wrote:

That is true but not if you can't control it or aren't paying attention. Or was he doing it deliberately?
I mentioned that guy in my report..:-$
"One more......."