Rod and Reel for Plunking Steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
vlade
Angler

Rod and Reel for Plunking Steelhead

Post by vlade » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Hey Guys:

Looking into suggestions for purchasing rod and reel to plunk for steelhead with a limited income. Do I need a high lure weight for the weight Im thrown in, or should I worry more about the line weight.

Thanks for all input!!

flinginpooh
Captain

RE:Rod and Reel for Plunking Steelhead

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Most rods wih a higher lure weight are gonna have a little higher line weight. Im not sure how limited limited is. But shakesphere ugly sticks are low cost and very durable. When plunking your gonna use high weight to get down and stay there. So lure weights gonna be key.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:55 pm

What ever you're most comfortable casting with, spin or casting. The big thing is a rod that has enough backbone to cast 5 or 6oz out there. I never used over 15# test line. I don't like to start brand wars. So.... if you're thinking casting maybe a good Abu round reel is pretty cheap and as far as rods go hit the stores and try them. Shimano makes good spinners. You're never going to find a rod that says it's for casting 6oz so pick a medium to heavy rod that feels good. Get or make a sturdy rod holder, oil up the lawn chair, pick a good book and stock up on beverages. Have fun!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:21 pm

I was checking out cabelas web site. They have Shakespeare Ugly Stik Big Water Casting Rods that cast up to 24 oz man thats some weight. berkley glow sticks that will cast up to 5 oz. There is Cabelas whuppin stix that cast up to 6 oz. I mean there is alot more out there. All of these rods was 75 or less.
More fish please!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:30 pm

Yes they can handle the weight but they're not what I would call a Steelhead rod by any means. Personally I've never liked the way they feel casting or retreving fish. I like the Ugly Stick Tigers for DR rods but as far as off shore and catfish rigs for steelhead fishing, not my cup O tea.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm not a plunker but I like to use a mooching rod when going after surf perch. The setup is about the same, 8 1/2 to 9' foot somewhat limber salmon rod with a bait caster holding 12 to 15lb test main line. I've found chucking 4+ oz pyramid weights out in the surf the key is the line weight and the delivery. Don't try and fling you gear with too quick of a motion and all should be fine. A mooching rod will have a limber enough tip so that you can see a take, and enough backbone to put the screws to a fish headed downstream to the salt. Check out this model Daiwa (HLD-DR862M) rod, it's been a workhorse for me lately and you can find one for about $40. It's listed as a downrigger rod but it's action is much more like a moocher. It is a fiberglass rod that has some serious backbone when you need it and should work great for your application. You might also try craigslist for an older used rod and possibly reel combo. If you're lucky you may run across someone willing to part with a Fenwick FS series rod, they are worth their weight in gold.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:31 pm

I use an older Eagle Claw mooching rod and a Penn 9 reel or my Ambassador 6000 reel.I like a heavier pole for casting 6-8 oz of lead.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:28 pm

racfish wrote:I use an older Eagle Claw mooching rod and a Penn 9 reel or my Ambassador 6000 reel.I like a heavier pole for casting 6-8 oz of lead.
Is that one of those older yellow Eagle Claw rods? I have one that I picked up at a garage sale a couple years ago. Have not found a use for it yet.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Yes, the more recent Eagle Claws are bright yellow the older ones being a more subdued yellow/ocher color.

vlade
Angler

Post by vlade » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks guys, I really like the Shimano Clarus, then picking the size, so many choices. Gonna go try one at a show, they got some with large lure weights.

The Shimano symetre is a reel I was looking at for the price/quality. Maybe just in the Shimano mood for some reason.

spoon
Angler

Post by spoon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:33 am

If you like Shimano rods, also check out the Convergence 10.5", 12-20 lb. Feels nice casting a 4-6 oz weight.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 pm

I've caught beaucoup Steel on my Eagleclaws.You dont need a 500.00 rod to catch fish. My setup is 50.00 max.When a steelie hits a plunking rig its usually a slammer .Thats why plunking can be so much fun.I only have one new rod in my collection and its a Lami for drifting.Other then that its my older 1970s Eagle Claws or Fenwicks.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.