Tough time steelheading

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sellis_414
Commander

RE:Tough time steelheading

Post by sellis_414 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:31 am

Thanks for the comments guys... Sorry I didn't get a very good pic of the bigger one. He put up about a 5 min fight and was wore out. It was the biggest steelhead i ever caught so i had to weigh it and i didn't want to keep him out of the water long! Once I put him back in the water it took him about 5 min to regain enough strenth to swim away from the spot where I took the pic. Im headed out again today to find a different spot. I tried jigs with a float on the way upstream with no luck, then switched to a little cleo as seen in the pic. Honestly that has been the best lure here in E WA for me. Looking at my catch card I have caught 5 out of 6 hatchery on them and 13 out of 17 natives using little cleos also... So they work over here. Who knows how they would do on the westside.

Off to hopefully end the year off with a bang! Good Luck everyone!

Seth
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:12 am

sellis_414 wrote:Thanks for the comments guys... Sorry I didn't get a very good pic of the bigger one. He put up about a 5 min fight and was wore out. It was the biggest steelhead i ever caught so i had to weigh it and i didn't want to keep him out of the water long! Once I put him back in the water it took him about 5 min to regain enough strenth to swim away from the spot where I took the pic. Im headed out again today to find a different spot. I tried jigs with a float on the way upstream with no luck, then switched to a little cleo as seen in the pic. Honestly that has been the best lure here in E WA for me. Looking at my catch card I have caught 5 out of 6 hatchery on them and 13 out of 17 natives using little cleos also... So they work over here. Who knows how they would do on the westside.

Seth
Which ones are you using? I like the 50/50 or the silver and green for trout. Never tried them for metal, but might try it this weekend. Are you using the bigger sized ones?
:bounce:
"One more......."

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:45 am

was out on Sauk and Skagit this past weekend but with the low numbers of hatchery fish this season, looks like I was on the wrong river :/

I did manage a few bulltrout on a 6wt fly rod, swinging egg sucking leaches off the bottom. Those things pull some line and give you a good run! so im satisfied.

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:26 pm

jens wrote:
sellis_414 wrote:Thanks for the comments guys... Sorry I didn't get a very good pic of the bigger one. He put up about a 5 min fight and was wore out. It was the biggest steelhead i ever caught so i had to weigh it and i didn't want to keep him out of the water long! Once I put him back in the water it took him about 5 min to regain enough strenth to swim away from the spot where I took the pic. Im headed out again today to find a different spot. I tried jigs with a float on the way upstream with no luck, then switched to a little cleo as seen in the pic. Honestly that has been the best lure here in E WA for me. Looking at my catch card I have caught 5 out of 6 hatchery on them and 13 out of 17 natives using little cleos also... So they work over here. Who knows how they would do on the westside.

Seth
Which ones are you using? I like the 50/50 or the silver and green for trout. Never tried them for metal, but might try it this weekend. Are you using the bigger sized ones?
:bounce:
1/4 oz hammered nickel... They were the smallest ones I could find locally this year. The pic i posted has it in its mouth still so you can see it. Ive tossed a few krocodile spoons too so keep that in mind.

Fetha Styx Associate

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:32 pm

Also I forgot to mention... If the rules are the same- single barbless hook, I go with a barbless 1/0 Octopus Gamakatsu on the split ring that comes with the little cleo.

Fetha Styx Associate

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:03 pm

No RB I was not on the puyallup yesturday. I worked and then headed down to the COW. I stayed there from 8 pm the wed till noon thurs. I didnt ignore ya lol. I did get my steelie this year though. Might I add 1st one in 15 years. Pics posted on my report.
More fish please!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:37 pm

ok I cant figure out how to put a pic here.

LOL got it.
Attachments
stealie09.jpg
stealie09.jpg (137.35 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:38 pm

Congrats

dubplate
Petty Officer

Post by dubplate » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:07 pm

Nice fish pooh! Where is that report?
insert sig here:

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:10 pm

flinginpooh wrote:ok I cant figure out how to put a pic here.

LOL got it.
Congrats man!! Gotta be 10++ :chef: :chef: I don't know about that sweater, but nice fish!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:10 pm

I did it guess its just waiting moderator approval or whatever the process. And yes Jens it was 10lbs exactly.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Nice fish pooh! Glad you caught your 1st metal! Good work!

Fetha Styx Associate

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Heres mine. We estimated around 9lbs but didn't have a scale. It was a late summer run steelie. The wife caught a spawned out female hatchery fish that we released and she was around 9lbs. Also Got lucky and hooked into a nice wild coho which was also released.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:28 pm

that is a nice steelie and silver
this is one of the summer runs i got this year off the sky.
Attachments
image_Small.jpg
image_Small.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:02 pm

The Snoqualmie is hot right now. I know 3 guys that each limited today.The mouth of the Tokul to the Cable hole put out big time today.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

driftercn83
Petty Officer

Post by driftercn83 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:57 pm

God whiney are we I havent even been able tot let a line out for steelhead this winter lol teasin......:-({|= but walleye and pike have been good to me but I am at the point that to get a steelhead fix I sit and watch fishing shows and dream but come feb I should be there for a few days. ohio is treatin me to new fishing techs lol...... um try the nooch or the hoh thats what I have been told
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:11 pm

Hey, don't feel too bad. I spent practically the whole month on the rivers around here and only came up with one lousy chum on the puyallup. Gonna go down to the upper puyallup tomorrow and see if there's any action. Hope it's not blown out. Cya on the water, and TIGHT LINES!
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!