building fly rods

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ruthven78
Commander

building fly rods

Post by ruthven78 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:06 am

Has anyone ever tried building fly rods? I got a book and I plan on building them. Im not sure if I want to try to make enough to like sell them at a local festival or not. My dad had made a few and they seems pretty good...he used loomis blanks. From the sounds of it they are a bit cheaper to make than to buy.
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

jmay
Lieutenant

RE:building fly rods

Post by jmay » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:20 am

Before having a wife and kids when I could spend my money on what was important to me I built two from blanks. Both worked fine (I lost them in a house fire) the hardest part for me was getting the proper speed to spin the blank to attached the thread on the guides. I did not buy the specialized spinning machine which could have been my problem. Cabela's has a seperate building catolog that sells reels seats guides ect and fairly cheap prices

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:20 pm

I have found that for a good spinning machine for wrapping guides that a old sewing machine motor and foot pedal are cheap and easy to come by,and easley modified.For good priced blanks Ebay is a good source so is JS fly fishing and rod building I dont know the web address off the top of my head but you can always google it.If you dont want buy and expensive wraaping machine,or do the sewing modifacation,you can always take a empty jar and put your wrapping thread in it.Then run the thread in between the pages of phone book and if you need more tension put more books on it.Then take a cardboard box find the size you need to lay your blank across then cut a "V" shape on both sides so your blank sits inside the "V" tou cut and your ready to wrap the guides.If you have any Q's on the subject feel free to drop me a message and maybe I'll be able to answer them for ya.TIGHT LINES EVERYONE :fish:
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:33 pm

I have build 4 rod's now and I love it. You dont realy need a fancy spinning macine whene wraping your poles. You dont even need one for the coating my dad used to just put the thread under a couple encyclopedia's and spin the rod himself.

Islandfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Islandfisherman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:49 am

Go check out Rodbuilding.org,you will find all the info you need and then some.Building a rod is not hard,a few tools,a blank and you are off...........Good Luck,Alan

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:29 am

ruthven78,
Give it a try. I think you'll find that it's easier than feared. I built a flyrod for a neighbor girl last year, and wrote an article about the steps I took. You can find it in the "Tackle Box Tales" link on our home page. Here is the link;
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReadArti ... =15&id=216
PM me if you like and we can talk some more.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:13 pm

If you don't consider the cost of your time, making a high quality fly rod is less expensive.

If you want something that you will never give away, or sell, than making one can be the answer. I have three, made from everything from the top of the line Fiberglass during the early 70's, to High Modulus Graphite, and even though I now use a Winston Boron, I could not give my hand made rods to anyone except my closest friends; they just ment to much to me.

You know, now that the kids have all moved away, I need to build me another rod, or two, or three. I sure hope my wife doesn't read this.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”