winter of '50...

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Rollin with Rolland
Captain

winter of '50...

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:19 am

Fun winter reading. That would have been an experience. What I really want to know, is how many of our Master members out there remember this (with story please), and more importantly, did anyone ice fish lake WA??!

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?Di ... le_id=8079
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

jeepman1984
Petty Officer

RE:winter of '50...

Post by jeepman1984 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:16 pm

hi does anyone ice fish in Washington state

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:33 pm

Cool story... rimshot...

I wasn't around then so I don't have any first hand knowledge of the storm.

Jeepman, pleanty of folks icefish in Washington State, mostly on the East side of the Cascades. There is a topic devoted to icefishing and there are many entries in the reports section and also in the forum. Use the search function and you will find what you are looking for.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:06 pm

I wasn't born yet then (almost:cheers: ), but my father-in-law said that it was the worst winter that he had ever seen. That included the winter of 1968, which I remember well. There was 5' of snow on the ground and the temperature was -25º. He said that '68 was bad, but nothing like 1950.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:20 am

In December 1950 I was serving overseas in the US Navy during the Korean War.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:00 am

I have an old photo of people ice skating on Lake Union.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:05 pm

I was looking through some old movies that my mom had and there is one with people Ice skating on Green Lake and Model T fords being driven on the lake.she says it was from the 20's, Really cool films. The family pics from the 1950 storm were neat...I was only 2, but I can remember some of it. As for the 1968 winter, I just returned from Viet Nam and had to go to Arizona for my next duty station. My wife and I left Seattle and headed south on I-5 with a 65 Chev Impala and a 14ft U-Haul....13 hours later we got to Portland and 5 days later we got through Oregon. One day we only traveled 8 miles in 10 hours and one 24hours stint to go from Grants Pass to the California border.... Used up 7 sets of chains....I still hate to drive in the snow...

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:45 pm

and people complain about the cold now.lol
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU