Rufus woods

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Nolimittackleman
Angler

Rufus woods

Post by Nolimittackleman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Hows the fishing at rufus woods been since it has warmed up? Myself and a friend are heading to the cabin by the river on this Tuesday and Wednesday to give it a try!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An angry man catches no fish!!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Rufus woods

Post by Bodofish » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:30 pm

It's always good. got worms?
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:33 am

Hey BodoFish, isn't it amazing how a can o worms can cure alot of your fishing ails. LOL Anyway Nolimittackleman, You asked about decent spots, and if they hit on certain colors. As this is a Kitchen Sink Fishery (Mr. Bodo) any and all colors work at various times, BUT the standard or go to color seems to be Dark colors. Black, green. brown, being the predominate for us. When lockjaw seems to be the order of the day, then all bets are off, and the selection of colors broaden. In the jigs, probably more fish have fallen to the black marabou, but we primarily use plastic minnow immitations, crawdaddy immitation, and "creature immitations. For us the smaller (1 1/2 - 2 inch size has been most effective over time, but I have caught trout out of RW on a 5 inch squid. So there is nothing cheiseled in Ice when fishing RW.
What type of Jigs do you specialize in (you mentioned you specialize in custom jigs)?
If you're going to troll, Go upstream from the Cabin on the River and watch for an unimproved boat launch on the left. trolling from there up to the Lower pens area has produced some big trout. For pitching jigs and hardware, try the area just above the C O R where you see a "Huge" haystack rock out in the river on the left side. Find the drop off and jig where the water starts falling off. Also Downstream from the pens, casting to the shoreline (right side going downriver) for 1/4 mile or so can produce fish.
But as Bodo said "Got Worms"?
Good luck and post a report on your trip.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:12 am

I wish I was spending some time at the cabin. I had an absolutely wonderful time there this past summer. It was so nice to fish in the morning, take a nap in the afternoon and fish in the evening again. What could be better?
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:02 pm

PS: BFL, you really need to get yourself some canvas and a heater for that boat. That picture looks just plain cold.....:compress:

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:36 pm

Hey Nolimittackleman,
As always the fishing at RW is great...It's the catching that you might have to work at a little. I saw in your question on blufin loui's RW report that you work with custom jigs. I sure would like to see what you have to offer...
You're going to have a great time at the cabin. Good luck and I'm lookin forward to your report.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:20 pm

Right on BodoFish, it was cold. We have a bimini with front and sides, but usually don't put it up unless it's bad weather. Run a heater (topper for the propane tank) to keep the didgits from freezing off. I'm gonna have to get off :dwarf: lazy :dwarf: and fish in comfort more often.
Hope you and yours have a safe and happy holiday season

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Nolimittackleman wrote:Hows the fishing at rufus woods been since it has warmed up? Myself and a friend are heading to the cabin by the river on this Tuesday and Wednesday to give it a try!
Just curious, did you hear about The Cabin through WL.com? Because if you did, please mention it to them. Always helps the sponsors to know their advertising on this site is worth it. We lost one sponsor for that very reason (although I must say they didn't do anything to promote their business here).

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

elk003
Angler

Post by elk003 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:37 pm

I have fished Rufus for about the last 6 years and have always put in at Seaton Grove and traveled down to the first set of pens. I don't know any better. That is a long ride down and back. My question is, is there any productive water in between? If so, trolling, jigging? I really like to troll repallas because my wife and son stay alot warmer in the cab with the heater. Anyone have any luck with those recently. I made reservations for the 6th through the 9th in Grand Coulee and hope to tie into some of those bigger ones I have heard are the norm this year.

Thanks

ELK