Is there any difference

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Is there any difference

Post by Toni » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:07 am

Is there any difference in the way to fish a river when it is like this?
Attachments
ice_resize.jpg
ice_resize.jpg (129.32 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Is there any difference

Post by Bodofish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:19 am

Extra long handles under the waders. =)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:28 am

the naches river is full of this kind of ice right now. i've tried to fish it the other day for whitefish but you can't feel the bite as the ice keeps moving the line. though you could get your limit of ice.:clown: new way to "ice fish":-" last winter i just about soaked myself trying to get in the river to wade, as there was ice two feet out from shore so you'll want to be carefull.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:50 am

Lots of patience! Float fish with smaller offerings and lighter line. 6lb leader should work fine as the fish are "typically" a bit sluggish. Entering the river is really the most dangerous part of the task. Bring a metal tipped wading staff and enter either were there is no ice or where you can break through all the way to the edge. I can still picture my father wading out to and then sitting on the edge of the ice on the Green while trying to cast in-between the floes. That was many years ago and having thought about it later, wasn't the safest thing to do.

And yes, you can hook and land steelhead when the rivers are in that condition.

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:01 pm

There is a lot of rocks on the shore! :) You have to get the fish to shore somehow so break a path! :) But then again it would be tough and hard to fish... Hopefully it warms up enough to thaw the ice out! Where the water is faster and more rapid the ice tends to be thinner or none, but in turn the fishing would be as good. So your in a tough spot there toni! :)
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Dynamite works wonders on breaking ice.It'll spook the fish once you pull them out of the trees.Hehehe.Flame-throwers also work well on ice Toni.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Nice ice there. That's the reason why I didn't try lake fishing today. I was going to head down to Shelton to try for some trout then saw the weather that it was 10 degrees at 7 am and remembered it's been below freezing for the last week and thought there might be some ice for a few couple feet from the shore.

datsun
Petty Officer

Post by datsun » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:59 pm

i think you have to get the ice augur out and do ice fishing :)

heheh

Big D

Post by Big D » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:15 pm

This is how I like to get through the ice:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Snowbird2008
Petty Officer

Post by Snowbird2008 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:53 pm

Here's some pictures I took of where the Raging river enters the Snoqualmie.... Yeah my fishing rod is laying on top of the frozen Raging River and there was only a trickle of flow underneath all that ice... That part that looks like white water is frozen solid,tried to walk across but was too slippery like an ice skating rink.
Attachments
Photo-0086.jpg
Photo-0086.jpg (164.16 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Photo-0078.jpg
Photo-0078.jpg (135.36 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Photo-0077.jpg
Photo-0077.jpg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.