winter steelhead season starts the 1st

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:winter steelhead season starts the 1st

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:37 pm

curado wrote:side drifting can be done from shore
as in walking along the shore while drifting?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:38 pm

flinginpooh wrote:I bought some wader liners. I wear an extra pair of wool socks. I need to get some gloves I think. Then a t shirt a sweat shirt and my jacket. I was fine fishing the rivers but the wind was a lil chilly on my face.
From the neck up I break out my motorcycle gear, light, warm and windproof...:cheers:
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:00 pm

yep i do it alot for extended drifts
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:23 am

I release line at the end of the drift and free-spool it to reach holes If I'm not close enuogh to cast to a spotj ust have to keep a thumb on your spool.I catch most of the metalheads within 3 feet of shore.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:31 am

flinginpooh wrote:I bought some wader liners. I wear an extra pair of wool socks. I need to get some gloves I think. Then a t shirt a sweat shirt and my jacket. I was fine fishing the rivers but the wind was a lil chilly on my face.
I purchased the same wader liners after you mentioned that sale. Thanks for speaking out, those liners are great. I wear long underwear, my carthart work pants, then the wader liners, then my waders. Its an experience all in it self when I have to do you know what in a below freezing Honey Bucket

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:26 pm

gpc wrote:
I purchased the same wader liners after you mentioned that sale. Thanks for speaking out, those liners are great. I wear long underwear, my carthart work pants, then the wader liners, then my waders. Its an experience all in it self when I have to do you know what in a below freezing Honey Bucket
Man, I dread the number 2 grumblings out fishing. 8-[ I try and eat foods that will constipate you the next day for this very reason. I swear it take 20 minutes just to get everything off and into firing position, not to mention leaving your spot.

I picked up those wader liners too- love em! :cheers:
"One more......."

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:46 pm

yup, another fact of life I've noticed I have to deal with as I've gotten older. Nothing better than successfully having your morning constitutional prior to hopping in the boat to go fishing. God, it's pathetic I just typed that.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:18 pm

i've got my bowels down to a system. i take the browns to the superbowl every morning, never miss a day.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:47 pm

You know I think this thread took a wrong turn.:bom:
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:13 pm

mee too. i am laughing every time i see it
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:24 am

Let me bring this back to fishing. I want RAIN....RAIN RAIN. Every winter we play this waiting game.I finally get some jobs near some decent rivers and they are so low that there is no freshet to attract fish. Hmmmm The weather G-ds are not in the steelheaders favor.I saw what Mike wrote on the freezing guides on the poles. It reminded me of the first of the gaphite rods . During bitter cold days when guides would ice up I'd drop my rod tip in the river to make it so I could reel up. The older style graphite rods would shatter.On real cold days I used to fish fiberglass only.(Good old reliable Fenwick and Eagle Claw)

Take it from the older crowd boys and girls. Before a fishing trip I usually eat a few prunes the night before.In the AM I drop the kids off at the pool and its fishing all day till the two thermoses of coffee take affect. LOL
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:39 am

these youngsters will understand some day. :-&

ckim85, that was too funny. SCORE! :cheers:

OK, something about steelhead fishing. Talking about cold, back when I first arrived in Washington, around 89, I would drive down to the Cowlitz Blue Creek boat launch. I would sleep in the bed of the truck (it had a canopy) and then get up early AM, usually awakened as the boaters started arriving. I'd get up and walk into Blue Creek passing the "night shift" coming out with their fish in tow. Back then the fishing was amazing. The Cow was putting out like 8,000 winter runs. I have no idea what it puts out now, but it doesn't seem like those kind of numbers. I felt pretty confident driving the 110 miles knowing I'd come back with fish. Now - not so sure.

Anyone know what the Cowlitz has put out in winter fish the past few years?

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:23 am

Page 30 shows how many steelhead eggs they took for the Cowlitz
Escapement

Since 2006 they have been releasing 500,000 or more winter and summer steelhead. So, it should be about the same.
Stocking Reports Page

Unfortunately, they don't update the catch data (you can call/email them and hound them and you can get the numbers)
Lee

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Now boys and girls I'm in need to want to learn the art of Steelheading using Jigs.Reading is okay but theres nothing like being shown how on the river itself.If when someone goes out and uses jigs and feels like you have a lil extra patience on a local river I'd sure like to go and learn.Im a corky yarn guy or egg and shrimp guy. Ive never had any luck with jigs.I fish the Green in King County mostly but willing to venture a lil bit.Now that my personal life is getting back to normal I'd like to go out and learn some new techniques.Like I said reading is okay but learning in person is way better for me. Thanks...
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:32 pm

racfish wrote:Now boys and girls I'm in need to want to learn the art of Steelheading using Jigs.Reading is okay but theres nothing like being shown how on the river itself.If when someone goes out and uses jigs and feels like you have a lil extra patience on a local river I'd sure like to go and learn.Im a corky yarn guy or egg and shrimp guy. Ive never had any luck with jigs.I fish the Green in King County mostly but willing to venture a lil bit.Now that my personal life is getting back to normal I'd like to go out and learn some new techniques.Like I said reading is okay but learning in person is way better for me. Thanks...
Add me. I am going to give it my best college try this weekend. I have all the gear, ready to go. Now what?? :bounce:
"One more......."

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:38 pm

I went to the steelhead university seminar on the 5th, and I'm anxious to try out everything that was presented and explained. From what the pros were saying, fishing with a float and jig is really really easy, and produces. I'm anxious to see if it will work for me!

One thing those guys kept saying: Just because the water is low, doesn't mean the fish aren't in there, it means there might be fewer of them.
Lee

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Im in the same boat myself. I bought floats and jigs of different varieties to get ready. Now I just gotta get out and try it out. I never fished em myself. Well for crappie and perch I have. So Im anxious to get into some stealhead trying this technique. All of a sudden work has picked up for me again. So I wont get as many chances, but Im gonna try and get out as much as I can.
More fish please!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:10 pm

remember try to keep as much line as u can off the water while float fishing.release line in seams to give ti a longer drift. run lighter leaders for really clear water. i have gone as low a 6lb for floats

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:47 am

flinginpooh: In regards to your comment on the Puyallup Steelhead and not a lot of luck in the Cowlitz - The Cowlitz Hatchery has been attempting to make their run "Late-Winter" so the hatchery fodder will be in later than normal.

Also, the guides and pros indicate that steelhead aren't leader shy, they try to toss the jig/bait/lure when they feel resistance, not when they feel the leader. BUT, if they see the mono leader, it can spook them. Flouro is mo better
Lee

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:51 pm

Do you think tipping your jig with shrimp/prawn/eggs is better than using the jig bare? What is your go to color for a jig? Clear, you use: Murky, you use:

Thanks guys!
"One more......."