New to Washington, need someone who fly fishes to show me the right rivers.

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
flyfishjaime
Angler

New to Washington, need someone who fly fishes to show me the right rivers.

Post by flyfishjaime » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi there. My wife and I just moved our little family here to Washington. Puyallup area. I fly fish in every season, every condition. I love fly fishing and need to touch the water. Hoping someone decent out there can show me some good fishing rivers.
(written by my loving wife who knows the pain I am suffering by staying indoors, hope this doesn't sound feminine and question my husbands standards- he just really needs someone to meet up with to show him where to go fishing and what are the good areas to catch in.)

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:New to Washington, need someone who fly fishes to show me the right rivers.

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:05 pm

I don't live on the west side so I can't help you much. In that it's been 6 days since you made your post, it doesn't look like you're going to get much help from your area. You might want to try some sites that are dedicated exclusively to fly fishing.

www.flyanglersonline.com &
www.washingtonflyfishing.com

are both great places to make contacts.
Check regs and see what waters in your area are open. I've heard good things about the Descheutes River near you.
Good Luck,
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:44 pm

I sent you a PM, but also I was going to say to find your local fly shop. Those guys will def. set your husband in the right direction. The forum though is a good place to connect with people and find a person to fish with.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

fish_4_all
Petty Officer

Post by fish_4_all » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:17 pm

The Puyallup river will be getting hot for winter runs here pretty soon if they are not in there already. The green river is also a good bet. Pretty much every river in the area will be getting good right about now for steelhead. Green but skunks, popsicles, redbutt skunks, orange butt skunks, Clouser minnows and many others shoudl take steelkies in any local river. Winter runs can be tougher to get to take a fly but they will do it, we take themon jigs so a fly should work.

Many lakes should will have hold overs of trout that can still be taken in some cases. How much luck you will have with a fly is debatable but it can be done.

Local rivers will also have plenty of cutt throat for the catching. nymphs, small streamers, wooly worms and buggers and other insect related flies should do the trick for them. One that works well is a caddis fly emerger, trout can not seem to resist a freshly peeled caddis fly nymph and the emerger fly has caught me many small cutts in the past, although not on a fly rod.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 am

Welcome to Washington and WL.com, hit a local library and see if they have a book titled "The Flyfisher's Guide To Washington"...it's a decent book listing quite a bit of information regarding some of the more "popular" fly rivers and still waters throughout Washington. Amazon has it fairly reasonably priced, as well...

Flyfisher's Guide To Washington

Another decent resource is westfly.com...good articles along with a hatch database.

I'm fairly new to river fishing, however I live in the area and am always game to toss around a fly or two...
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:33 pm

id say green river. its the closest one around here that has rainbow trout (not this time of year though). in a couple of weeks im going to try fly fishing there (in the flaming gyser park area) for steelhead.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:59 pm

nickbell wrote:id say green river. its the closest one around here that has rainbow trout (not this time of year though). in a couple of weeks im going to try fly fishing there (in the flaming gyser park area) for steelhead.
Technically, steelhead are rainbow trout. :cheers:

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”