Whidbey steelhead

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mlrodoni
Warrant Officer

Whidbey steelhead

Post by mlrodoni » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:23 am

Any Steelhead being caught on Whidbey (Bush Pt., Lagoon, Ft. Casey) yet? Thanks.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Whidbey steelhead

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:32 pm

I'll let you know after this weekend I hope.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm 0 for on 3 trips so far. Did see a sea lion and a seal each get a fish. Whidby beach steelhead are truly a fish of a thousand (or more) casts.
Life's short - fish hard!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Is Sandshrimp the bait of choice at Bush Pt and areas like that?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

mlrodoni
Warrant Officer

Post by mlrodoni » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:09 pm

NO BAIT! Mooching rig w/ hoochie set up and some scent. I prefer Pro cures' Steelhead Combo, Anise Krill or Sand Shrimp. I've only caught 3 in the last 2 years. It's just close when the rivers are blown.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:22 pm

I have a friend whos relatives own wtfnt land on Whidbey.I believe its off Possesion pt. He tells me I'm welcome to fish there anytime. I was gonna go up there and take a look at hopefully wet my line.I was thinking Sandshrimp or Ghost shrimp just because they are out there in that area.Im just curious on what type of gear to take. Thanks for the heads up.

mlrodoni
Warrant Officer

Post by mlrodoni » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Hook and line angling- Unless noted
differently, only one line with up to 2 hooks is
allowed. Barbless hooks are required for all
species in Marine Areas 5-13, except forage
fish jig gear. When fishing for SALMON in Marine
Areas 1-13, only single-point hooks may be used.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Bush point special

"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

mlrodoni
Warrant Officer

Post by mlrodoni » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:30 pm

There ya' go racfish. Great pics noclothes1.

motorek
Petty Officer

Post by motorek » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Are those lures custom made or it is possible to buy them? If bought where I can but them?
Thanks

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:01 am

motorek wrote:Are those lures custom made or it is possible to buy them? If bought where I can but them?
Thanks
The Oak Harbor Ace Hardware sells them (or at least used to sell them). Pretty easy to tie your own instead. Just buy the component parts

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:36 pm

motorek wrote:Are those lures custom made or it is possible to buy them? If bought where I can but them?
Thanks
Ted's (in Lynnwood, I think) sells them. If you go to Tedssportcenter.com and click on reports they have a blog on there saying with this weekend's and next weekends tides, it could be the best opportunity to gets some steelies there right now. Go to the November 2008 "Tips and Tactics" archives and there is a great article all about fishing for them.

I can't say enough about Ted's. Those guys are great and totally hooked me up this year for salmon. That place is stacked with gear.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzanne

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Its cheaper to buy the parts and tie your own. For example for drift fishing. Already done drift set ups are about 3.50 or so. Corkies are 15 cents each. hooks depends I use gamas or vision I look for sales got 100 visions for like 10 bucks 50 gamas for 15. Yarn 15 ft for 1.99 and 300 yards of line for 12.99. So lets say I use gamas and make 50 drift set ups, Im in about 37.48. Thats only about .75 cents each instead of 3.50 Huge savings!!!!! Tie your own save the money.
More fish please!

motorek
Petty Officer

Post by motorek » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:34 am

I have couple question. How to work this lure? Should I jig it and drop to the bottom or this is drifting? How big lead my I use?
I have surf rod, would it work if I would use 3 oz of lead?

I am curious that the skirt would work for different species of fish, fished from shore in the ocean. In October I was on charter fishing trip in the salt. In one point we
changed one of ours lure to hoochie and it became productive for as - we got nice chinook.

mlrodoni
Warrant Officer

Post by mlrodoni » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Check out the November 2008 article in the "tips and tactics" section at tedssportscenter.com it'll explain it all.

motorek
Petty Officer

Post by motorek » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 pm

I red the article. I used to be frequent customer at Teds store until I moved. It is definitely good store.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Thank you for those chrystal clear pics. Thats what I thought was used alot.I remember the spin n glo part well. Those looked so good I want to bite those.Thanks No clothes.I make almost all my own gear. If I lose a fish I want it to be my fault if I lose it .Not some stores or guides fault.Just a personal preference.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Is Bush the only area on Whidbey with Steelhead?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlrodoni
Warrant Officer

Post by mlrodoni » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:50 pm

If there are any Bush Pt. and Fort Casey are probably your best bet. Maybe Lagoon Pt. or Deception Pass.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:58 am

I found out through reading a couple articles that its mainly the west side of Whidbey thats good for Steel. My friend gave me his addy which is in the Scatchet Head area on the beach. Sunday I'm gonna go try it out.If its no good we'll then hit Casey and or Bush.