HELP!!! Corkie and Yarn setup?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Gringo Pescador

RE:HELP!!! Corkie and Yarn setup?

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Toni wrote:
ckim85 wrote:that sounds a lot easier than doing an egg loop...after tieing about 5 egg loops, my hands start to cramp up.

I can tie about a dozen an hour. I take them to appointments where I will have to wait and tie up hooks and leaders. Right now I have 6 dozen tied and working on the 7th and 8th.
That's awesome Toni! I'm picturing the dentist or doctors office, some people are reading magazines, others are knitting, and there's Toni with a bag of hooks and tieing up leaders! I love it!

How do you store them all?
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:26 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:
Toni wrote:
ckim85 wrote:that sounds a lot easier than doing an egg loop...after tieing about 5 egg loops, my hands start to cramp up.

I can tie about a dozen an hour. I take them to appointments where I will have to wait and tie up hooks and leaders. Right now I have 6 dozen tied and working on the 7th and 8th.
That's awesome Toni! I'm picturing the dentist or doctors office, some people are reading magazines, others are knitting, and there's Toni with a bag of hooks and tieing up leaders! I love it!

How do you store them all?

Yep, it is something like that. Some people come up and ask me what I am doing. One lady asked me if the fish are clean? Meaning all the mercury and stuff. The real clincher was the guy who asked what I was doing and whipped out his cell phone showing me his 37lb king from Barrier Dam area on the Cowlitz. That was cool. I am going to try and attach the pictures of the way I store them.
I just found about a dozen more that I forgot I had and that isn't counting the ones on my vest with corkies on. Or the flies. I do have to find a storage space for them. That way I won't lose them. Ya know, "where did I put those hooks. I know I had more."
Attachments
010.jpg
010.jpg (52.02 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
008.jpg
008.jpg (53.4 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

CLEARLAKE
Angler

Post by CLEARLAKE » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:45 am

Do you have to match the color of the yarn and corky or can you mix and match them?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:44 pm

CLEARLAKE wrote:Do you have to match the color of the yarn and corky or can you mix and match them?
Not really, I did well one day with red & purple yarn and an red/orange corkie. Another day green and chartuess, and another purple and pink.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:04 pm

So basically you have to try multiple color schemes until you find the correct one...
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:41 pm

any color combo will work, just some might be more enticing to the fish at the time. I usually stick with a couple colors and work each rig for awhile before changing. hate wasting my time rerigging to see what bites. maybe that explains why I haven't caught a chum yet :/

but for the most part, it seems most people are using purple, pink, chartreuse, or black for yarn and all kinds of different colors for corkie including chrome.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Hey Toni I really like what you have going with your pre tieds. But from experience (or lack there of) I would suggest to not have that many tied up. I know you can never have enough on hand, but the leaders really start to loose there quality being wound up that tight on the snell holder, or leader wallet. I just find that the leader will develop a lot of memory, even after a couple weeks and. Tieing leaders while waiting for the Dr. is a great idea, a great way of taking advatage of down time and turn it into something productive. I am not trying to come off the wrong way, just an observation I have made.

Now my corkie/yarn go something like this. I use 12lb maxima ultra green leader (for my pole spooled with 15lb main) and 10lb trilene XT leader (on my pole spooled with 10lb).

I like 1/0 hooks, and tried to find a cheaper alternative for Gamakatsus, but there isnt one. Owner is a little cheaper, but Gamis are worth the extra few bucks

I have 2 leader wallets and they each hold 12 set ups. One of wallets is filled with corkie/yarn combos, what I think are the "hot colors". Right now mostly greens and pinks, along with a couple darker combos tied up. Then my other wallet is just filled with bait loop leaders, just incase my pre tied combos arnt the "hot color" I can tie up the "hot color" at the river and dont have to break down leaders I have allready tied. I would say on average I fill both wallets once a week, I try to replace the lost set ups when I get home from fishing so to have 2 full wallets evertime I go fishing.

The weights I use the most are pencil lead. Anywhere from 1"-4", 2" probally being used the most. I just started using 1 oz cannon ball sinkers and really like those as well. I dont even bother with a dropper

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:24 am

nice thread everyone, My leader tying days ended a couple years ago when my eyes got worse for doing close work. I should pay Toni to tie leaders for me, LOL.

BTW, the "help section" would be to go to the "Home" tab, click on "search" and type what you want in. Then look at things like the Articles and Stories tab on the search results. There are lots of old articles from over ten years being online. Or, you can just use the Articles and Stories tab "Features" - "Articles and Stories" and use the Category tab on the upper left of the box to filter the type of stories you are looking for, which include "Tackle" as an option.

Lots of good stuff!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:09 am

Hey Mike! I've had to resort to cheating for the last few years and I'll never look back! You can tie 98% of any knots you need. Never had a knot slip.

Tie-Fast
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!