bunny flies

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

bunny flies

Post by Toni » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:25 pm

I tied 3 more flies and found that the bunny fur one can buy is not all the same. The black is so nice and fluffy whereas the chartreuse and purple are sparse. I am hoping I might catch a silver or chum on them. At the Puyallup all I caught was limb cod and they won my flies.
Attachments
flies_004_resize.jpg
flies_004_resize.jpg (101.52 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

RE:bunny flies

Post by SAPIplate » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:47 pm

The reason why the fur is incosistant is because, well, rabbit coats aren't always consistant, similar in how human hair isn't the same. The color doesn't make a difference, in my massive collection of rabbit strips, the fur thickness, quality, and color shades are different in almost every pack.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Does it have anything to do with natural color vs dyed?

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Generally, the dye doesn't have much to do with it. If anything, it's when they bleach the fur before they die it to insure consistant color throughout. That can sometimes effect the fullness of the hide.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Toni wrote:I found that the bunny fur one can buy is not all the same. The black is so nice and fluffy whereas the chartreuse and purple are sparse.
Toni, maybe that is because I have never seen a chartreuse or purple bunny.:-" :-"
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:59 pm

It could also have something to do with the type of rabbit. Angora rabbits fur is different than a dutch or rex. I really liked the black. It even has a different feel to it.

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:00 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
Toni wrote:I found that the bunny fur one can buy is not all the same. The black is so nice and fluffy whereas the chartreuse and purple are sparse.
Toni, maybe that is because I have never seen a chartreuse or purple bunny.:-" :-"
LOL

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Toni, you might try tying in some marabou on the back just before the bend in the hook. It adds a lot of action to the fly. Marabou comes in a big variety of colors.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Tony ...Try to give the fly a little more length like these three. It is up to you of course. The top one is an Articulated flesh fly....#2 is a Hareball leech/purple-pink and last pic is called a Pink Pollywog. It can be made with a purple head for more color. Good Luck, Steve
Attachments
pink_polywog.jpg
pink_polywog.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
articulated_hareball_leach_purplpink.jpg
articulated_hareball_leach_purplpink.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
fly_articulated_flesh_fly.jpg
fly_articulated_flesh_fly.jpg (22.39 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:40 am

I didn't know you fly fished Toni, htese look liek they should catch some fish.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”