Finally I am a Fly Fisherman

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
w7co
Petty Officer

Finally I am a Fly Fisherman

Post by w7co » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:47 pm

After a few weeks of practicing with my new fly rod in the back yard with yarn I finally went out to my sons house to try my luck in his stocked pond. I know, I know not real fishing, but hey I am a rookie. There was a lot a brush around the pond so I had to make good casts. After the third cast I hooked a good fish which I fought for at least 15 minutes before I could get him into the net and get the hook out. He was a health 24" rainbow. I made a few more cast and caught another one.

I don't know spit about what fly to use or when but I think these guys would eat anything. In any event this was one of the most exciting fishing experiences I have ever had. I will be joining the local fly fishing club when they get back together in September. :cheers:

Mike

shawn
Commander

RE:Finally I am a Fly Fisherman

Post by shawn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:14 pm

congrats
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 pm

That is good news!:cheers: Sounds like you are doing well.

Now for the bad news......you now have been bitten by the bug and you will be addicted for life8-[

Enjoy!

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:45 am

Yep, Marc's right! You are now an addict. Say your goodbyes to momma, the kids, dog, etc. Despite varying levels of experience and competence, we are all still learning.....so we have to keep going out! God help you when you start nailing them on dries! There's nothing like large rainbows and cutthroats assaulting skwala and terrestrial patterns, or sipping BWO and PMDs. You're gonna need a lawyer!!! Good luck and have fun with it!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:22 am

And then..........tooling down the road, suddenly jumping on the brakes, slamming the car into reverse to check out :cyclopsan the road kill for tying materials. Oh, we are truely a sad group!8-[

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:31 am

Marc Martyn wrote:And then..........tooling down the road, suddenly jumping on the brakes, slamming the car into reverse to check out :cyclopsan the road kill for tying materials. Oh, we are truely a sad group!8-[
You know what I never thought about tapping that resource.I can see it now people driving by saying''What in hell is that sick SOB doing that dead animal.''It's basicaly the circle of life,and cheaper than buying alot of materials.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:06 pm

Personally, I have never done it, but I have known guys that do. I keep my collecting to stray feathers laying on the ground.o:)

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”