we all need!!!!!!!!!!

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
goin_postal
Petty Officer

we all need!!!!!!!!!!

Post by goin_postal » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:48 pm

[-o< please please please can we have a secret river report section,i think ill speak for a lot of ppl,there are times when we all have a river that we dont want everybody to know about cause its a spot we go to every year and we just dont want to see it packed ful of ppl and get trashed with garbage.......please please please[-o<

G-Man
Admiral

RE:we all need!!!!!!!!!!

Post by G-Man » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:46 am

I've used the secret lakes section for these reports in the past. Maybe it can get renamed to secret areas, secret spots, hidden holes or something like that.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:07 am

If these places are secret and you don't want anyone to discover them then why do you need a place to report results?

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:21 am

And I am pretty much against secret fishing reports in general. They are always pretty much worthless reports. Reports are given and submitted to let people know how fishing is on a lake and/or river. Now a secret RIVER section, Rivers span many miles, so if you don't want people to know your exact location, don't let'em know. There isn't anyway for someone to actually KNOW where you are fishing along a river unless you give detailed information on the location anyway....
Ryan

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

I'm with you Ryan! If it's a secret, keep it that way. If you want to share, share. Sharing is what most of us are about, that's why we're here.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:46 am

OK, I'll add my .02 here as to why I think Secret Reports are useful.

1) bragging rights. which I actually think is an OK thing, to share your successes, maybe techniques, but not give the location. There still is some value for the reader, if nothing else some people find them entertaining to read.

2)There can be circumstances where you have promised not to reveal a location, but you still want to use this site as your online fishing diary. I have a few of those kind of reports. I know which lake it is and sometimes I'll go back into my old reports to refresh my memory with techniques that worked or didn't work. You young guys don't have memory issues but trust me, the older you get the more harder it is to remember!

3) which is my last point - fishing memories. I'm glad I did those secret reports because some of them include pictures of my boys and I really enjoy looking back on the reports and enjoying those old memories.

Consider this - 25-45,000 anglers visit the site each month. Monthly posted reports will come in around 300-900 per month. I'm grateful every time someone wants to share their fishing experiences, secret or not. I did send Aaron an e-mail so we'll have to wait and see if this is something he can modify. I think it's one of the better ideas I've seen lately, with all due respect to Bodofish and ryan2202.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:30 pm

Agreed with everyone else. You should consider whether you are posting secret reports for. Usually they are just bragging reports with minimal help. Share tips/tactics with others in the forum, and keep your spot secret.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:12 pm

I think this is an awesome idea Gp. You can still share tips and tactics and all of that good stuff. I know plenty of members here who hold their favorite honey holes for bass secrets, so why not rivers? :-$ :-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

goin_postal
Petty Officer

Post by goin_postal » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:09 pm

thanks for all the opinions but last time i reported a river under a different name i did share my weapons of choice and tactics its just that when everybody finds the secret spot witch they will it becomes a over crowded place and then trash gets left behind all the time regardless.and everybody know there is that one or two spots that you guys keep to yourselfs because its clean and relaxing and you know it doesnt get over fished.i have no problem sharing the how to's and what to use just ask if i dont post it.its always nice to have new anglers introduced and love it.

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:19 am

Bragging rights are bragging rights, those are well earned after working so hard for them...I'm just saying that rivers span many many many miles, and sometimes even across different county lines; If you don't want to share the exact location as to where you're fishing along the river, don't share it...BUT the same tactics/strategy/lures, etc. could work somewhere else along the river..."secret" lakes are different, I have a few myself that I just don't want to share, but I'll brag about what I catch out of there...but because rivers span many miles, its hard unless you share the exact location of your special pool to share that information, other then whats working on the river and how you fished it.
Ryan

goin_postal
Petty Officer

Post by goin_postal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:57 pm

no im sorry to disagree but when the fish are in the river they are not everywhere unless its those pinks.when the coho or chinook are in they are pretty well packed together.these types of fish gather in schools and travel together unlike lake fish so if you give the river away then its only a matter of time before they are found.the mouth of the river wont have fish in it the hole season.everybody follows the fish throughout the river and never fish the same spot over a period of time,so its pretty obvious where to go,and yes there are those secret holes that we dont want to tell but they only hold fish for so long

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”