which 3 salmon species tastes better

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
jens
Commodore

RE:which 3 salmon species tastes better

Post by jens » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:26 am

RaMcVey wrote:What about Cooper River Salmon? Its big news when it comes to town. Ive had some and thought it was good, I let it get to dry, but was still good though. Is it worth the press?
I went to a wedding in Anchorage a couple years ago. The father of the bride 2 days before the wedding went out with his dip nets and came home with his annual limit which I believe is 60 Sockeye. He barbecued/grilled them on cedar planks (not all of them, but enough for the wedding party). This was the first time I have ever witnessed salmon being cooked this way. The meat was outstanding. The taste was even better. :chef:
Of all the salmon I have tasted, the salmon I ate that came from Copper River is the best I have ever eaten. Is it worth the press? IMO, yes.
But the fish that I have harvested this year: King, Coho, and Pink in that order.
"One more......."

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:15 am

This is a rehash of previous posts but always is fun topic. Best all around in my opinion is a chrome bright Springer from a lengthy system. This is why you see the frenzy that is Columbia River fishing come March. The meat is a red as a sockeye's and loaded with oil, it's like candy. Heck I've taken springers out of the Icicle that were just awesome, these fish are amazing.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:02 am

Copper river is very nice but like G-man said .Theres nothing quite as good as a springer from the Columbia.By far the best salmon.Copper River is for the Medina, Hunts point and The Highlands folks.hehehe

Theres no nookie like "Spring Chinookie"
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:23 am

RaMcVey wrote:What about Cooper River Salmon? Its big news when it comes to town. Ive had some and thought it was good, I let it get to dry, but was still good though. Is it worth the press?
Comming from the Seafood Industry I can give you a little history on Copper River Salmon and the Hype.

The Copper River was the first readily accessible run for the Air Cargo gang to exploit so with a little marketing hype from the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute It quickly became " The finest Salmon available.". I've been involved with it from the catch to delivery down here and I really don't see anything too special about it. The run just coincides with the start of BBQ season and is an easy connection to air freight. I've even been involved in blind taste tests conducted by the ASMI and one slated for TV but never made it because no one could taste the difference.
So I guess to me it's just another Salmon. Socks are not my fave to begin with, now the CR Kings are HUGE!!!! They taste like any big king but once you cut a few pounds of cheeks and sauté them up with fresh Spots........ Heaven on earth!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:01 pm

I have eaten plenty of copper river salmon, but not like Jens did. Any store bought salmon cant even compare to a fresh caught salmon. A half turned pink caught fresh and cared for properly will taste way better than any king, sock or ho bought from a store, or pike place for that matter. Just catch a chrome fish let it sit for a day, clean it, put it on ice for 5 days and thats a store bought fish, and a good quality store bought fish, some are way worse than that. Jens you are very lucky to eat a properly cared for CR fish, hopefully one day I can too

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:46 pm

gpc wrote:I have eaten plenty of copper river salmon, but not like Jens did. Any store bought salmon cant even compare to a fresh caught salmon. A half turned pink caught fresh and cared for properly will taste way better than any king, sock or ho bought from a store, or pike place for that matter. Just catch a chrome fish let it sit for a day, clean it, put it on ice for 5 days and thats a store bought fish, and a good quality store bought fish, some are way worse than that. Jens you are very lucky to eat a properly cared for CR fish, hopefully one day I can too
I like my salmon to be on the medium rare side, even the slightly overcooked pieces were amazing. I wish I were able to do some fishing when I was up there, I was too intimidated at the whole combat fishing scene that I witnessed. I am over that now, and am looking at taking a trip up there in the next year or so. :bounce: :bounce:
"One more......."

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:02 pm

jens wrote:
gpc wrote:I have eaten plenty of copper river salmon, but not like Jens did. Any store bought salmon cant even compare to a fresh caught salmon. A half turned pink caught fresh and cared for properly will taste way better than any king, sock or ho bought from a store, or pike place for that matter. Just catch a chrome fish let it sit for a day, clean it, put it on ice for 5 days and thats a store bought fish, and a good quality store bought fish, some are way worse than that. Jens you are very lucky to eat a properly cared for CR fish, hopefully one day I can too
I like my salmon to be on the medium rare side, even the slightly overcooked pieces were amazing. I wish I were able to do some fishing when I was up there, I was too intimidated at the whole combat fishing scene that I witnessed. I am over that now, and am looking at taking a trip up there in the next year or so. :bounce: :bounce:
Yeah I heard it gets pretty wild up there on the rivers. Like you mentioned its legal to net up there as well as snag fish legally, thats how you know the rivers are just full of fish

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:50 pm

a weeks ago i had some kenai king from my guide buddy the fish was 73 pound and chrome the fillets were huge and tasted great he smoke it for 7 hours then bbq it
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”