WINTERIZE YOUR BOAT

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
spokanebassman
Petty Officer

WINTERIZE YOUR BOAT

Post by spokanebassman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:23 am

Hello Fellow Boaters---
This is the first year I have my boat stored indoors in my garage! YES! If I plan to run the engine (In a large garbage can full of water) once a month or so do I need to winterize the engine still?

Thanks,
EB

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

RE:WINTERIZE YOUR BOAT

Post by Easy Limits » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:31 am

You can run your motor once a month or even twice. I do. Also make sure you don't tilt the motor, it should be straight up and down so any water doesn't pool in the lower unit.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:33 am

Why do you feel like you need to run it once a month? Both of my outboards get fuel stabilized and run in, stored vertically (not trimmed all the way down but literally vertical), any annual maintenance done, then a quick fogging oil shot in the plug holes, then put up for winter. One boat won't get fired for 7 months, but she crackles right to life within a few cranks every year.

E

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:03 am

spokanebassman wrote:Hello Fellow Boaters---
This is the first year I have my boat stored indoors in my garage! YES! If I plan to run the engine (In a large garbage can full of water) once a month or so do I need to winterize the engine still?

Thanks,
EB
Answer to your question: "No"
Winterizing is what Gisteppo does...what you're doing is maintaining your 'readiness' w/o putting it to sleep.
I used to put my rig down for about 4 months out of the year...but w/ the rig I have now, and the species and seasons that I target (ie. Lk Wa in the winter), it has closed that gap considerably...therefore my boat remains in the "run" condition throughout the year. Great question and have fun!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:37 am

I'll add to what Gisteppo and Mav said, no need to do anything to other than store the motor/s in the vertical position to "winterize" unless you plan to put it away all winter. On the fuel stabilizer, I run it and Mercury's fuel system cleaner, year round per Mercury's recommendation, so when winter comes I don't need to run it in to fill the fuel systems. I've never fogged a motor, and many of the newer fuel injected ones shouldn't be. Check with your motor manufacturer to know for sure.

A side note, another reason to run fuel stabilizer year round has to do with the possibility of the ethanol mix fuel experiencing what is known as phase separation - for more info here is Mercury's web info. While not a guarantee against phase separation, the Merc additives I use are supposed to help minimize the possibility of it occurring. For the small price involved, it sure beats shelling out $15,000 for a new motor. :bball:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:59 pm

I winterize my boat by installing a buddy heater and a 5lb bulk propane cylinder. Re-apply some seam sealer to the top and lube up the zippers and she's good to go throughout the winter. I don't think my current engines have gone for more than 3 weeks without being run.

However my previous boat was not winter weather friendly and was put down come mid October. I'd disconnect the gas line and run the engine until it was dry, then I'd remove the spark plugs and spray some WD-40 into the cylinders and crank the engine to disperse the lube and then re-install the plugs. Come Spring time, the motor would fire up without a hitch. Be sure to treat any gas with stabilizer that you are going to store if you don't do so already. Almost forgot, be kind to your battery and bring it inside for the winter and, if you have one, hook up a battery tender that will maintain the charge but not over charge.

Also, if by chance you have an E-tec motor it has a self winterizing mode that fogs the engine and sets it up for a deep sleep. It's triggered by moving the fast idle lever in a specific sequence and the motor will shut itself off when complete.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:40 pm

I just use mine all winter. The beauty of an inboard jet. When you pull it out of the water it all dranes out of the engine and pump. She'll get her usual maintenance and be waiting for me to turn on the heater and pour a cup of joe.

As E said if your aren't going to use it, put her to sleep and wake her up in the spring. I do it with the family boat at the cabin every year and she always starts on the third or fourth pull. It it's a two stroke, I might add, put a lot of Stabil in the tank and then run the fuel out of the engine and leave it dry. She'll be good for a several year rest if you don't get around to running it.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

gdrees
Angler

Post by gdrees » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Hello to you as well. I'm fairly new here and this is my first post. I live in Spokane (sort of, Airway Heights actually) and I think that weatherizing would depend upon your garage. If it gets as cold as mine does I would recommend protecting your motor/engine.

gene

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 am

Good question, and good answers. One point I would like to leave is that inboard prop motors require more to put them to sleep for the winter then does a jet or an outboard motor. It looks like all of the answers so far are more directed to outboards or jets, and I agree with the comments made so far.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.