Hooksets

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
iPodrodder
Commodore

Hooksets

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:08 pm

OK, this is driving me crazy. Every time I go to set a hook on a texas rigged plastic lizard or grub, the hook nearly always pops free. I have tried nearly everthing. A light jerk, a trout hookset, and in the middle. I have even tweaked my rig so that the hook point is sticking way outside the plastic, but all this is good for is getting snagged. I have let the fish have it for one second, a three count, and sometimes up to twenty seconds (seriously). I have watched 10 to 12 inch largemouths close up (yes, they looked bigger, but I know about the refraction effect) take my bait, and just hold it in their mouths for fifteen seconds. They finally swim toward the weeds, and I try to set the hook, and the bait pops out. Please help! What am I doing wrong?

dilbert
Captain

RE:Hooksets

Post by dilbert » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:21 pm

Dull hooks? If the fish is swimming away and you lift the rod up and over your shouldershould be getting a good set in the top of his mouth. I usually poke my hook through and then back it down a little so just the point is sticking out. Also, make sure you are using the right size hook for your plastics.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:38 pm

what kind of hook are you using?

ral
Petty Officer

Post by ral » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:18 pm

I have been having some of the problem you describe, but I think I have resolved it. I tried waiting to let the fish take the lure fully into his mouth and I kept missing hookups. Now when I fell a strike, I set the hook as I do when flyfishing for trout - just by raising the rod tip. I use very sharp light wire 2/0 hooks and I am not missing many hookups now. Maybe your line has too much stretch, I am fishing 10 pound braid with a fluoro leader and there is no stretch, the hook sets quickly.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Here is a lil tip that i do if im missing stricks .. I extend the hook closer to the tail and end of the bait .. remember you can decide where that barb comes out of your plastics .. when im t-riggn or c-riggn i do this all the time due to the excess leader =(lesser hook set power) ... and trust me it doesnt much of a difference if your hook comes through the middle or the end of your plastic when you t-riggn or c-riggn .. this will only increase you hook ups .. also something else i would suggest is after you lower your rod and make your first hook set "burn your reel handle " till you feel the fish and then set the hook again .. happy hooking.. BBD :-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:32 pm

yup what dez said.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:25 pm

try using a light guage wire hook like ral said too. They pratically hook themselves half the time on the sharp gammie EWGs.

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:28 pm

Dez what does it mean to burn your reel handle?

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:51 pm

Proverb wrote:Dez what does it mean to burn your reel handle?

that simply means to reeling really fast! ...:pl:

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:29 pm

Thanks I wasn't sure if it was some technique or what you just said.. lol. :)

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:54 pm

iPodrodder wrote:OK, this is driving me crazy. Every time I go to set a hook on a texas rigged plastic lizard or grub, the hook nearly always pops free. I have tried nearly everthing. A light jerk, a trout hookset, and in the middle. I have even tweaked my rig so that the hook point is sticking way outside the plastic, but all this is good for is getting snagged. I have let the fish have it for one second, a three count, and sometimes up to twenty seconds (seriously). I have watched 10 to 12 inch largemouths close up (yes, they looked bigger, but I know about the refraction effect) take my bait, and just hold it in their mouths for fifteen seconds. They finally swim toward the weeds, and I try to set the hook, and the bait pops out. Please help! What am I doing wrong?
you never mentioned the line or the hooks in use.

:)

mono stretches, and cheap hooks are cheap for a reason.

thanks
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

quickfish12
Petty Officer

Post by quickfish12 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:23 pm

I agree, I use Owner, or gamakatsu hooks. Also wide gap hooks are a plus. For almost any baits I use a wide gap hook. Also sharpen every hook that you use and check the tip often.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:47 pm

I was having the same problems in the past, it turned out to be the hook. I switched to Gamakatsu wide gap. Also what kind of rod are you using, a graphite rod with fast action tip is definetely must when plastic fishing, you can loose more fish on the hookset with slower rod tips.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:30 pm

kzoo wrote:I was having the same problems in the past, it turned out to be the hook. I switched to Gamakatsu wide gap. Also what kind of rod are you using, a graphite rod with fast action tip is definetely must when plastic fishing, you can loose more fish on the hookset with slower rod tips.
Your right on the money with those hooks and a fast tip rod , iv been fishing with them for so long that i forgot all about that .. good call KZOO .....(IM TELLING YA US MIDWESTERN GUYS KNOW BASS )..BBD

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:27 am

Right on Dez, Good to hear from a fellow Michigander. The locals here are pretty tough too.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:40 am

good points! what kind of rod are you usin ipod?
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:11 pm

Easiest tip to give you is, when you are texas rigging, use quality hooks, and use whats called a Tex-posed hook. Put the point of the hook all the way through the bait, and then skin hook it. =
aka Powerworm