Fishing the Cowlitz

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Maurice
Petty Officer

Fishing the Cowlitz

Post by Maurice » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Im looking at taking a trip or three down to the cowlitz for silvers I'll be fishing from the bank at any place I go, can anyone suggest an area to fish and suggested setups.

Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why cant Marriage License be like fishing licenses,

Where they expire every year and when

you go out of state you can get a 3 day pass.

crankbait42
Commander

RE:Fishing the Cowlitz

Post by crankbait42 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:34 pm

the barrier dam. you will be in a combat fishing area especially if the returns are as high as predicted. as far as what to use you kind of have to do what every one else is dong. corkys and yarn in orange pink red or green, bobber and jig or bobber and eggs. the eggs work well more in the pool than the faster water. also down by the boat launch near the dam and anywhere in between with corkys and yarn. ive never tried near blue creek but i would assume that its not too bad down there either.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Down by the mouth of the Toutle River is good right now, probably going to head there this Monday to give it a go. About 50 yards or so down from the mouth there's a pool there that fish hold in, if you hit it right you'll be catching alot of fish. If it's a deeper pole try using 7 ft leader if you have one of those longer poles that are like 10 weights for fly poles. The silvers and kings should be all along the Cowlitz though if you can find a good pool. Also you can try just using a corky with a bare red or blue hook, it also works for them.

dubplate
Petty Officer

Post by dubplate » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:34 pm

up at the barrier dam float fishing has always worked for me, same set-ups as mentioned above. go down to blue creek area its all about drifting. eggs, either good steelie roe or self-cured salmon roe has produced for me, prawns as well. 4-6 foot leader, color of yarn...whats hot at the time, talk to people :) lots of regulars and guides down there. good luck
insert sig here: