Let's go snagging!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rseas
Commander

Let's go snagging!

Post by rseas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:52 am

I usually don’t whine but for this I will take an exception. I regularly fish the Stillaguamish River, trying to get out 2 or 3 days a week. For whatever reason I love fishing the Stilly. Within the last few days I was fishing the bar just upstream from the I-5 Bridge. I was on the way home from work and didn’t have waders or board shorts with me so I couldn’t fish the areas that I would normally fish. I ended up fishing the little slot mid way up the gravel bar. I usually don’t like combat fishing but hey…fishing is fishing…right? WRONG, I was very disappointed with the experience. Of the 21 people fishing that evening 18 were actively snagging fish. Many were using yarn and treble hooks (The Stilly is under the selective gear rules). The worst part was seeing a family group, dad, two teenage boys, a daughter and a couple friends of theirs all snagging fish. What is the deal? I could understand (although not condone) 1 or 2 people covertly snagging fish but 20 people! All knowing that they are breaking the law.

In the last week or so I have caught 20 or 30 fish (mostly released) in that general stretch of river. I have caught humpies, coho, trout and two chinook. Not one of them was foul hooked and all were caught on size 0 to size 2 Dick Night spoons. One does not have to snag fish to catch then. At one point while fishing the evening that all the snaggers were out there, I had hooked a very nice silver. One of the snaggers casted across my fish, snagged it and tried to land it. We both ended up loosing the fish but in the process of trying to horse it up on the beach, the snagger stepped on some bodies rod that was laying on the beach, smoooth..... I have to say that that evening was not a good day on the river.

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

RE:Let's go snagging!

Post by Bass Woody » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:51 am

I agree. frustrating to fish around that. Its true most people in that area i have found dont really care and crowd right in next to you. then like you said they mess up your fishing. the treble hooks can be used just west of the bridge on marine drive but i have found them sneaking over with that same gear. I have seen huge families come down crowd there way into a fishing spot and snag most of there fish. then they quickly cut the steaks out and discard the fish carcus. I dont think that is legal? dont you have to have the head and tail attatched until you leave the area? anyway i myself am new to the salmon fishing but have had some success in legal lip hooked fish. I will not lie and say i havent foul hooked a couple as well. they felt like a bite and being a bass fisher i set hook! I dont want to foul hook them and do not agree with doing it that way. does every salmon fisher have this happen to them? any tips for avoiding fouled catches? I agree with your post and i want to do my part of not being a sworper. heres to the ones trying to play by the rules and the ones that dont hopefully you will get the rath of the WARDENS! the federal wardens! hahaha
LIP RIPPER

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:33 am

that spot is one of the bigger snagger holes on the stilly, which is unfortunate because there are a lot of legal fishers there too and it is a good spot. There are few other places on the stilly that have hordes of snaggers.

It happens every year on every WA river that has a salmon run, unfortunately

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:35 am

Call the WDFW until they show up. This is complete BS and these Yahoos give the rest of us anglers a bad name. These people either need to be confronted and called out, or the authorities called. They probably don't even have licenses, maybe they do. Who knows. But they are breaking the law and that is not cool. If the majority of the people are snagging you might not have good luck calling them out, but there is strength in numbers so if there are other legitimate anglers around, go talk to them and plan to yell at the next snagger that pulls a fish in by its a$$! Stop whining (not calling you a whiner) and make a stand, you'll feel much better, bring a camera. If you feel strongly about the need to correct the wrongs you are witnessing you need to take it upon yourself and do something about! Open up a can of you know what ...........
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:06 am

If you foul hook a fish or two don't worry about it, it is going to happen from time to time. Right now you have a ton of fish in a small body of water, once the numbers are reduced your changes of accidentally foul hooking a fish drops off dramatically. You are correct in setting the hook if you feel anything other than the bottom, otherwise you'll miss a ton of fish. Also salmonoid species seem to have a habit of throwing themselves at their potential meal. They don't inhale like bass do so there is more of a potential for a missed strike that can lead to foul hooking. I've caught salmon while trolling that have been hooked behind the head, in the dorsal, etc. They do it to themselves.

One other thing you might keep in mind. If the odds are really stacked against the WDFW officer, 20 to 1 is pretty bad, they might not want to get involved. I know that doesn't sound right but all it takes is one hothead to incite a crowd and things can get ugly quickly. I've been witness to a group ticketing attempt on the Kalama, fortunately most of the offenders simply ran off leaving their "catch" behind. This left the officer in a foul mood who then got into it with the few that did remain including me who was fishing legally.

smoked1
Petty Officer

Post by smoked1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:23 pm

I have been having a hard enough time catching them legally. I don't understand how someone can cast out and just foul hook them like that. I plan on hitting up that spot on the Stilla tomorrow and if people are actually able to foul hook them like that; I should do pretty well fishing by the book. I haven't seen anyone doing that on the Snohomish at all.

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:25 pm

Welcome to Pink season....The biggest hype is always followed up by the worst manners and ethics you'll ever see

fishermom
Petty Officer

Post by fishermom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:38 pm

I had a discussion about the fishing regs on that part of the Stilly - there was quite a bit of disagreement about the rules - in fact the guys next to us said they just read the regs and that fishing with sand shrimp was legal - even offered to go up to his truck and get the book. Usually I have my copy with me, but didn't that day.

Been lucky not to foul hook any salmon, but have seen them pulled in by their tail, their side, back and belly, and kept. Too bad someone can't post a sign at that popular spot. Maybe I'll make one.
Fish like this is your last day on earth, conserve like you will live 1000 years.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:20 pm

fishermom wrote:... in fact the guys next to us said they just read the regs and that fishing with sand shrimp was legal - even offered to go up to his truck and get the book. ....
Apparently, they don't know how to read.

fishermom
Petty Officer

Post by fishermom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:09 pm

Apparently not. The thing is, I'm hesitant to get into an argument. I was respectful and polite during the discusssion. And they weren't the only ones. It seems that this spot attracts alot of the "beer for breakfast" crowd. Nothing against beer drinkers, but no sense getting confrontational.
Fish like this is your last day on earth, conserve like you will live 1000 years.