Spokane St. Poachers on TV

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tommytitan08
Lieutenant

RE:Spokane St. Poachers on TV

Post by tommytitan08 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:56 pm

This is an awesome story. On the puyallup on a daily basis i see people keeping illegally hooked fish. On sunday of the puyallup i caught a snagging rig that someone had broken off. It consisted of a huge spin n glow between 2 4/0 or 5/0 hooks and 2 ounces of lead. It was rediculous. The leader on it was probably 40 lb test. Not to mention it still had barbs.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:18 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:
Jake Dogfish wrote:I watched it earlier yesterday and then my friend came over in the evening and it was gone. I am glad they are getting some of those guys.
Here's another link:

http://www.katu.com/outdoors/fishhunt/5 ... eo=pop&t=a

Thanks for the video Marc, that is awsome how the wardens got all stealth mode on the snaggers (aka sorry excuse of a fisherman). It was a pretty small crowd the day of the video however.

The one guy in the red shirt who said, "this pink is too small for me" or something down those lines, got lucky that day. He is down there every day and is one of the biggest snaggers on spokane street. He was down there today, snagging like no other. In fact, that is the 1st fish I have ever seen him catch legally.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiNg.Me206
Petty Officer

Post by KiNg.Me206 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Crazy video....they should be there more often but what I'm really here to do is agree with GPC and his post I fish there alot and on that video a guy in a red shirt claiming to put the fish back because its to small is the BIGGEST SNAGGER IN THE WORLD!!!! Thats the first legal fish I've seen him catch.. Pour excuse for a fisherman Its one thing to work a buzz bomb or dart how there meant to be used but to darn near break the rod in half with repeated jerks on a retrieve c'mon.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:03 am

KiNg.Me206 wrote:Crazy video....they should be there more often but what I'm really here to do is agree with GPC and his post I fish there alot and on that video a guy in a red shirt claiming to put the fish back because its to small is the BIGGEST SNAGGER IN THE WORLD!!!! Thats the first legal fish I've seen him catch.. Pour excuse for a fisherman Its one thing to work a buzz bomb or dart how there meant to be used but to darn near break the rod in half with repeated jerks on a retrieve c'mon.
I told the guy in the green hat, that its illegal to snag. He said I'm not a warden, well he is right so I called them. Along with hundreds of others, besides pinks hit jigs like no other
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:32 am

I'm going to catch hell for this but here goes. Keep in mind that it is legal to retain fish not hooked in the mouth that are caught in saltwater, unless otherwise posted. That being said there are special regulations in effect for the Duwamish Water Way (regs page 114 note 4) which prohibit salmon from being retained that are foul hooked between July 1 and October 31. So, for all you beach fisherfolk who pull in a fish backwards now and then, you will want to check the regs to see if you truly need to release the fish. I'll be the first to admit that I have no issues with folks who keep fish that are foul hooked as long as it is legal to do so, however I don't condone intentional snagging nor does the State.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:43 am

G-Man wrote:I'm going to catch hell for this but here goes. Keep in mind that it is legal to retain fish not hooked in the mouth that are caught in saltwater, unless otherwise posted. That being said there are special regulations in effect for the Duwamish Water Way (regs page 114 note 4) which prohibit salmon from being retained that are foul hooked between July 1 and October 31. So, for all you beach fisherfolk who pull in a fish backwards now and then, you will want to check the regs to see if you truly need to release the fish. I'll be the first to admit that I have no issues with folks who keep fish that are foul hooked as long as it is legal to do so, however I don't condone intentional snagging nor does the State.
I was going to stir the pot and post the same thing as there's no such thing as snagging in saltwater.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:24 pm

G-Man wrote:I'm going to catch hell for this but here goes. Keep in mind that it is legal to retain fish not hooked in the mouth that are caught in saltwater, unless otherwise posted. That being said there are special regulations in effect for the Duwamish Water Way (regs page 114 note 4) which prohibit salmon from being retained that are foul hooked between July 1 and October 31. So, for all you beach fisherfolk who pull in a fish backwards now and then, you will want to check the regs to see if you truly need to release the fish. I'll be the first to admit that I have no issues with folks who keep fish that are foul hooked as long as it is legal to do so, however I don't condone intentional snagging nor does the State.
I emailed the WDFW about that too. Lets just say they never got back to me about it. Someone at a beach told me that the snagging rule applies only in freshwater. So if your NOT snagging intentionally, you can keep a foul hook salmon. The reg book mentions something about not keeping foul hook fish under the freshwater tackle column on page 30, while theres nothing about foul hook fish on page 96 under the marine area tackle column.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:42 pm

"...if we've got a law, it's probably broken on this bridge."

That sums it up...

GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Post by GoingtoFish » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:49 am

I was fishing the Snohomish the other day in Monroe. First I was surprised to see more than a hundred others there fishing too (For a Wednesday anyway). It was the first time in awhile I had fished this particular stretch of river.
I was shocked at the number of people that were intentionally snagging fish! One guy had a 6 foot leader with 4 large hooks on the leader with a 2 ounce lead at the bottom. He would cast out and when he felt a fish touch the line he would whip the rod back like he was getting ready to hit one out of the park!
I witnessed another 15 guys (at least) that had more than one hook and were intentionally trying to snag fish.
I have been fishing all my life and have never had the need to set on a fish that hard. If a fish had actually bit the hook it would have ripped through its jaw with a hook set like that.

I'm pretty sure that none of these guys had any sort of license (fishing or otherwise). In fact if a certain group of officers came by they would have needed a bus to cart everyone up.

So if there are any Fish and Game officers and/or Immigration officers reading this go on over to Monroe. You already know where the Prison is? Just drive past that and look for all the cars parked next to the river.