Im done with the pinks

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bassin253
Petty Officer

Im done with the pinks

Post by Bassin253 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:26 am

Im am so sick of catching pinks. yea they were fun for a couple of days and BRIGHT but now i have been fishing the carbon and there all green its not even fishing they dont bite dont fight snag them and reel them in backwards is this how it is salmon fishing in the rivers this is the first year for me and 80% of the fish i see caught are not in the mouth and the ones that are i really dont think were trying to bite. i really want to catch a silver catch one not snag one and the only way i can think of doing that is to plunk so my question is plunking the lower puyallup with spin and glows and eggs a good idea or not for catching a silver or king but have heard its kinda late for that?

G-Man
Admiral

RE:Im done with the pinks

Post by G-Man » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Don't give up on silvers just yet. Once the pinks finish their run you should be able to pick up silvers as they typically run later than most other species. I've always had good success pitching hardware at silvers. Vibrax spinners, spoons and jigs and plugs/stick baits all work well. The best part about jig fishing for silvers is you don't use a float, it's very similar to fishing for bass. Here is a link to a really well written article on jig fishing for coho, yes I know it from a rival website but hey, it good info. Also, next year you won't have to deal with the pinks and the extra fisherfolks who come to the rivers in search of them as they are an every other year occurrence in our State.

Jigging for Coho

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:52 am

Awsome "G"!!!! That's by far my most favorite way to fish Coho. For me I find it hard to drive the boat and fish at the same time...... in fast water. Don't get me wrong I do my fair share of trolling the Sno's but the Sky and the Skagit, jigs all the way! Sneak above the hole drop the pick and slide back to it. Shshshshshshshsh...........:-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:08 pm

I am not sick of pinks. Bring 'em on.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 pm

i am getting there i have caught 200 so far with 4 coho as well 2 to 14 pound coho. best pink day 63 pinks
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:01 pm

curado wrote:i am getting there i have caught 200 so far with 4 coho as well 2 to 14 pound coho. best pink day 63 pinks
That is unreal. Ah to have that much free time. :bigsmurf:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:11 pm

thats what happens when you dont work 70 hours a week:cheers: #-o :-({|=
fish on!

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:47 pm

200 pinks and your best day was 63? wow, you caught over 25 % of your fish in one day? thats not good odds..... as for being done with pinks...... no ways..... im having a blast with my 6-6 ultrlight rod with 4 lbs test line!!! fish on.... fish on.......

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:36 am

My wife doesn't get the whole C&R thing. So whenever I go out Bass fishing, she always wonders where the fish are when I get home. Now I have been bringing home pinks left and right and smoking em up (or eating them for dinner) and telling her about all the fun I've been having. She's now saying I've gone "fishing crazy". Good thing for me she LOVES salmon and has been pouring over her recipe books for those that use smoked salmon. Newest one, smoked salmon Alfredo... Mmmm:cheers:

Tired of the pinks? No
Ready for the Silvers? Yes!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:11 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:My wife doesn't get the whole C&R thing. So whenever I go out Bass fishing, she always wonders where the fish are when I get home. Now I have been bringing home pinks left and right and smoking em up (or eating them for dinner) and telling her about all the fun I've been having. She's now saying I've gone "fishing crazy". Good thing for me she LOVES salmon and has been pouring over her recipe books for those that use smoked salmon. Newest one, smoked salmon Alfredo... Mmmm:cheers:

Tired of the pinks? No
Ready for the Silvers? Yes!
Well done Gringo,sounds like you have some salmon on your hands,whens dinner?:-" lol

My wife is a salmon fan and has been encouraging me to hit the rivers. I hoping to work an area on the Puyallup or
Carbon a little more upstream. I hate fighting crowds.

fishermom
Petty Officer

Post by fishermom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Not quite done with pinks - though catching and releasing more. Never thought I could get my fill of first, crab, and then, salmon. It has been a wonderful year.
Fish like this is your last day on earth, conserve like you will live 1000 years.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:02 pm

Try the pinks as salmon tacos. Awesome! I rolled them in regular taco seasoning you use with ground beef and then fried them in some oil. Seriously the best tacos ever. I used corn tortillas and made fresh pico de galo. Add some cilantro, fresh squeezed lime juice, feta cheese, and El Tapatio and you are in for a treat.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

fishermom
Petty Officer

Post by fishermom » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:23 pm

I'll try that, noclothes1. Sounds good. What is the vitamin in salmons? Omega something or other? Had plenty of that. Ate them fried, broiled, poached, grilled, baked and smoked. Had salmon cakes, ceviche, salmon hash with potatoes and eggs in the morning, and salmon sandwiches. Also canned some.

Hope that others are catching them. It was a thrill to catch my first salmon ever. Good luck all.
Fish like this is your last day on earth, conserve like you will live 1000 years.

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:40 pm

I just went to the Carbon for the first time ever. As you'll see when the report comes up I had a blast! I grew up in southwest WA and fished mainly the Cowlitz, Toutle, Skookumchuck, and Chehalis as a lad, so catching a dozen salmon in a day of anykind was a ton of fun.

If you want a river with very few pinks head on down to the Nisqually. Kings and silvers are both in (especially kings), with very few pinks scattered in the mix. I think you're more likely to hook a king than a pink. Many of the kings are pretty dark though.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Pinks are great....last salmon i had was a coho which i coated/glazed with a home honeytaryaki saw and threw it under the broiler, was superb, gonna hit the sno on sat afternoon. reminds me to check on the tides
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:48 pm

I will miss the pinks. It was fun catching them compared to the stocker trout that I have been catching all season.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:53 pm

i wont
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

datsun
Petty Officer

Post by datsun » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

This is my first year fishing up here in Wa. Ive been concentrating on the snohomish river at lowell park and in the town of snohomish, (bank fishing) so far I have caught 2 pinks. I dont get out as often as I would like, and when I do its only for 2-3 hours. But I am way looking forward to more pinks.
Alot of times I see a ton of them jumping, rolling ect but they just arent seeming to bite.

MORE PINKS!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:07 pm

the runs over

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU