Could someone please clarify this for me?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
IRH84F
Angler

Could someone please clarify this for me?

Post by IRH84F » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:47 am

I don’t understand this, could someone clarify this for me? I read the sports pamphlet rules about fishing for salmon on the Green River. It says that from Aug 22 - Aug 31 we can only use a single hook. It doesn’t say anything about using a lures with treble hooks such as a Kastmaster, can we use treble hooks now that it’s after Aug 31st?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Could someone please clarify this for me?

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:54 am

Ahhhh..... First off THANK YOU for making your first post to this site with a question about trying to follow the rulz.

You have to realize that just because the fishing lure that you bought at the store came with a treble (3 pronged hook) does not mean that you can use that hook If the reg. says single, barbless hook, then you need to remove that treble hook and put a sinlge barbless hook on. It is not hard at all. You can buy seperate single hooks in the tackle store, and just use a needle nose plier to break off the barb.
Have fun:cheers:

Edit: Looking back, I did not answer your question regarding the dates... Someone who know this river should jump in on this question.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:56 am

IRH84F wrote:I don’t understand this, could someone clarify this for me? I read the sports pamphlet rules about fishing for salmon on the Green River. It says that from Aug 22 - Aug 31 we can only use a single hook. It doesn’t say anything about using a lures with treble hooks such as a Kastmaster, can we use treble hooks now that it’s after Aug 31st?
(746)
Sept. 1-Nov. 30: night closure and anti-snagging rule.
Nov. 1-Feb. 15: fishing from any floating device prohibited.

anti snagging rules apply starting Sept1 which means no trebles.
You can easily switch out the kastmaster with a single no barb hook.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 am

You don't need to REMOVE the barb. You can just squish it down flat so it doesn't stick up at all. Or even grind it off if you prefer.
Tom.

Interests: living

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:51 am

and for whatever it is worth, it is LEGAL to use barbed hooks if you want to.

The anti-snagging rule does not require barbless hooks. Barbless hooks are only required in Puget Sound and on any river that specifically say barbless hooks required, like the Puyallup.

On the Green, barbed hooks are legal.

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:51 pm

Single hooks hold better anyways.

Trebles are very tough to get a solid hookset and very easy to throw.

My $.02

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:01 pm

treble hooks bad

Sickle siwash GOOD

$0.02
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:16 am

The Quadfather wrote:Ahhhh..... First off THANK YOU for making your first post to this site with a question about trying to follow the rulz.

You have to realize that just because the fishing lure that you bought at the store came with a treble (3 pronged hook) does not mean that you can use that hook If the reg. says single, barbless hook, then you need to remove that treble hook and put a sinlge barbless hook on. It is not hard at all. You can buy seperate single hooks in the tackle store, and just use a needle nose plier to break off the barb.
Have fun:cheers:

Edit: Looking back, I did not answer your question regarding the dates... Someone who know this river should jump in on this question.
Unrelated... but I hate that our local sportsmans stores sell a lot of illegal equipment... such as electronic calls and decoys that are against regs in the state of WA. </rant>

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:02 am

Dustin07 wrote: Unrelated... but I hate that our local sportsmans stores sell a lot of illegal equipment... such as electronic calls and decoys that are against regs in the state of WA. </rant>
The equipment is not illegal as it's intent is not catch fish or aid in hunting. It's sole purpose is to catch fishermen (persons) and hunters.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:09 am

Bodofish wrote:
Dustin07 wrote: Unrelated... but I hate that our local sportsmans stores sell a lot of illegal equipment... such as electronic calls and decoys that are against regs in the state of WA. </rant>

The equipment is not illegal as it's intent is not catch fish or aid in hunting. It's sole purpose is to catch fishermen (persons) and hunters.
Say what Dustin??? !!!

Selling a buzz bomb with a treble hook, as an example, is not selling an illegal piece of equipment. For example, treble hooks (if barbless) are legal for bottomfish in Puget Sound (and buzz bombs are usable for bottomfish), and treble hooks for whatever lure (buzz bomb, blue fox spinner, etc) are LEGAL in rivers when the anti-snagging rule is no longer in effect in December 1 on many/most rivers.

What about plugs, spinners, etc. that are usable for warmwater fish (like bass etc.) - those trebles on those lures are all legal for bass fishing.

So, I am at a lost about your claim that tackle stores are "selling illegal equipment"
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:33 am

that's why I said "unrelated". It reminded me of stores like Cabellas locally which sell decoys and whatnot that are not legal in the state of WA. it was an unrelated post Just caught my attention...